Looking at buying another Mazda 3 and had some questions

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
I am looking at buying another Mazda 3 and had some questions...

1) 2004 is the first year, is this year more prone to issues?

2) 2.0ltr vs. 2.3ltr I realize the power and mpg difference, is there any difference in reliability?

Thanks,

I would choose one that has a thorough maintenance, as well as repair history, regardless of the year or engine size.

I would choose one that has a thorough maintenance, as well as repair history, regardless of the year or engine size.

hah, your funny. I am looking at sub $4000 cars. I am mostly dealing with curb-stoners and buy here pay here places. It is unlikely I will find one with any maintenance history.

Is the 2.0 engine the same engine that is in the Miata?

Last edited:
skip the 2004 and 2005 models. 2006 got VVT plus some other updates including exterior and are an overall far better buy.

both engines will be about the same in terms of reliability. look for the 2.3L engine and try to find a manual... the automatic in these gen mazda's was terrible.

skip the 2004 and 2005 models. 2006 got VVT plus some other updates including exterior and are an overall far better buy.

both engines will be about the same in terms of reliability. look for the 2.3L engine and try to find a manual... the automatic in these gen mazda's was terrible.

I agree on always getting a manual, but this is a learner car for my kids. Just bought another 07 S Sedan auto, grey. Exact same as my previous.

Don't even need to change my sig :)

I agree on always getting a manual, but this is a learner car for my kids. Just bought another 07 S Sedan auto, grey. Exact same as my previous.

The new skyactiv transmission is where they hit a home-Run and makes me indifferent between modern manuals and automatics. But for the Mazda youre looking into, you will not get the most out of it unless you have a manual. The auto from that gen is not geared well at all.. its very slow and unresponsive and the one thing that would stop me from buying a Mazda of this age.

My wife has 2007 3 GT hatchback we bought new. It has the 2.3l with 5 speed auto and it shifts quick and smooth and the manual shift mode is quicker than anyone could shift a manual. It has been trouble free other than replacing the alternator. We do change the tranny fluid about every 30k miles.

Last edited:
My wife has 2007 3 GT hatchback we bought new. It has the 2.3l with 5 speed auto and it shifts quick and smooth and the manual shift mode is quicker than anyone could shift a manual. It has been trouble free other than replacing the alternator. We do change the tranny fluid about every 30k miles.

hell no, the auto transmission in these generation mazda's is appalling and the gearing is all wrong. the Mazda 2.3L manuals are far better and quite a lot of fun if you can find one...

I learned on manual, don't coddle the wee lamb :p

I learned on manual, don't coddle the wee lamb :p

I agree with J.R's sentiment. I also learned to drive on manual and I was grateful that I did. I hated learning how to do it until I drove an automatic car for the first time and didn't really like it. Start them off young, so they learn the right way lol

Back