Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looking at buying another Mazda 3 and had some questions

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    02 Protege LX, 03 Proteg5, 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    62

    Looking at buying another Mazda 3 and had some questions

    I am looking at buying another Mazda 3 and had some questions...

    1) 2004 is the first year, is this year more prone to issues?

    2) 2.0ltr vs. 2.3ltr I realize the power and mpg difference, is there any difference in reliability?

    Thanks,
    13 Fit | 09 Ody | 09 Miata | 07 Mazda 3 | 03 Protege5 | 02 Protege

  2. #2
    Registered Member concept's Avatar

    2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,308
    I would choose one that has a thorough maintenance, as well as repair history, regardless of the year or engine size.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, Magnaflow)
    2002 Protege ES (Sold for $1700 with 131,000 miles)

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    02 Protege LX, 03 Proteg5, 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    I would choose one that has a thorough maintenance, as well as repair history, regardless of the year or engine size.
    hah, your funny. I am looking at sub $4000 cars. I am mostly dealing with curb-stoners and buy here pay here places. It is unlikely I will find one with any maintenance history.

    Is the 2.0 engine the same engine that is in the Miata?
    Last edited by smetzger; 08-31-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  4. #4
    BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

    2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    645
    skip the 2004 and 2005 models. 2006 got VVT plus some other updates including exterior and are an overall far better buy.

    both engines will be about the same in terms of reliability. look for the 2.3L engine and try to find a manual... the automatic in these gen mazda's was terrible.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    02 Protege LX, 03 Proteg5, 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    skip the 2004 and 2005 models. 2006 got VVT plus some other updates including exterior and are an overall far better buy.

    both engines will be about the same in terms of reliability. look for the 2.3L engine and try to find a manual... the automatic in these gen mazda's was terrible.
    I agree on always getting a manual, but this is a learner car for my kids. Just bought another 07 S Sedan auto, grey. Exact same as my previous.

    Don't even need to change my sig
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  6. #6
    BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

    2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by smetzger View Post
    I agree on always getting a manual, but this is a learner car for my kids. Just bought another 07 S Sedan auto, grey. Exact same as my previous.

    Don't even need to change my sig
    The new skyactiv transmission is where they hit a home-Run and makes me indifferent between modern manuals and automatics. But for the Mazda youíre looking into, you will not get the most out of it unless you have a manual. The auto from that gen is not geared well at all.. itís very slow and unresponsive and the one thing that would stop me from buying a Mazda of this age.

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    2016.5 Cx-5 Touring, 2007 Mazda 3 GT

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Aloha, Oregon
    Posts
    14
    My wife has 2007 3 GT hatchback we bought new. It has the 2.3l with 5 speed auto and it shifts quick and smooth and the manual shift mode is quicker than anyone could shift a manual. It has been trouble free other than replacing the alternator. We do change the tranny fluid about every 30k miles.
    Last edited by Sailingeric; 09-11-2017 at 11:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2016.5 Cx-5 Touring, 2007 Mazda 3 GT

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Aloha, Oregon
    Posts
    14
    Dup post

  9. #9
    BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

    2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailingeric View Post
    My wife has 2007 3 GT hatchback we bought new. It has the 2.3l with 5 speed auto and it shifts quick and smooth and the manual shift mode is quicker than anyone could shift a manual. It has been trouble free other than replacing the alternator. We do change the tranny fluid about every 30k miles.
    hell no, the auto transmission in these generation mazda's is appalling and the gearing is all wrong. the Mazda 2.3L manuals are far better and quite a lot of fun if you can find one...

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    Suzuki SX4

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by smetzger View Post
    I agree on always getting a manual, but this is a learner car for my kids. Just bought another 07 S Sedan auto, grey. Exact same as my previous.

    Don't even need to change my sig
    I learned on manual, don't coddle the wee lamb

Similar Threads

  1. Questions for buying used Mazda 3 2004
    By persiano in forum Mazda3 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2016, 10:34 PM
  2. Questions for buying used Mazda 3 2004
    By persiano in forum Mazda3 Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2016, 02:40 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2016, 03:15 PM
  4. MS3 buying questions. Please help.
    By Jason C in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 06:11 PM
  5. Questions about buying a MSP...
    By Boosterific in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 12:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •