New AA \ ACP Thread (with Poll)

How do you feel about AA ? ACP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The addition of wireless support was due to an Android Auto software update. Android Auto is a mobile app, which is never installed on a vehicles infotainment system. Think of Android Auto as plugging an additional monitor into your laptop. Your monitor does not need software to run whatever you move to that screen. The same is true for Android Auto, it's simply using your infotainment screen as an extended display of your phone.

The delays in releasing Android Auto have nothing to do with challenging technological limitations. It was a marketing decision. They hesitated because they were concerned it didn't fit with the Mazda brand.
The mirroring hardware interface is actually quite simple to implement, and already built into all new Mazda vehicles. My point is, if Mazda vehicles do support wireless mirroring, it doesn't add much complexity over the wired implementation. 99% of the complexity exists on the mobile device.

For me, it doesn't make any difference. Doesn't everyone have their phone plugged in while driving anyways?

Sorry, but android auto does have a server component. Go to aio tweaks or android developer pages.

You can mirror a phone on some devices that suppoet hdmi mirroring over usb (MHL) but this is not android auto.

Mirroring and android auto use different approaches. If not then AA would support apps the same on phone and head unit but it doesnt. Waze only works on head unit.

Google only supports chromecast for wireless mirroring on Nexus, Pixel and other stock android phones. While Samsung and others support mirrorlink.

It is more complicated then you imply. Google and others dont want people mirroring youtube onto the car screen. And google is not going to enable mirrorlink (DLNA) - so we need AA server in the head unit so all android phones with AA will regardless of a phones mirroring capabilities. AIO tweaks requires the AA component installed into mazda connect. AA wont work without it.

No question the port needs upgraded.
If you're running maps and streaming music your phone will drain being plugged in. If not then it would have to be wireless so you could charge your phone.

Did you say you had a Moto Z with dock? Does the car dock do AA or data?

Z2. I have the dock but haven't used it since I did the hack. I don't need to see the phone at all when running AA so I just plug it in and set it by the USB ports or in the square cubby. I assume it will activate AA. Any time it's connected to the front USB it switches to AA.
I did notice today while running Waze and Spotify the music will cut out once in awhile. Very briefly, like less then a second. Did it with Gmaps too. Probably when the map app is downloading data. Not often and very brief. But definitely a bug.
Overall I'm impressed with how well it runs. I can't believe a few Mazda nerds did this. Very well done overall. Not sure how Mazda can do it better, besides fixing the music bug. Going to see if it happens with my onboard music next. Betting not.

Z2. I have the dock but haven't used it since I did the hack. I don't need to see the phone at all when running AA so I just plug it in and set it by the USB ports or in the square cubby. I assume it will activate AA. Any time it's connected to the front USB it switches to AA.
I did notice today while running Waze and Spotify the music will cut out once in awhile. Very briefly, like less then a second. Did it with Gmaps too. Probably when the map app is downloading data. Not often and very brief. But definitely a bug.
Overall I'm impressed with how well it runs. I can't believe a few Mazda nerds did this. Very well done overall. Not sure how Mazda can do it better, besides fixing the music bug. Going to see if it happens with my onboard music next. Betting not.

Thanks for the info. I like the dock for charging and connection convenience - but yeah, i see no reason to have the phone actually visible. I ordered a USB serial connector, so may try it all next weekend.

Cancel it dog. Cancel it. Does NOT work with the dock.

Thanks, i ordered a few days ago. I figure i can use it eventually. Even if it doesn't work with dock. I honestly think the AA headunit guys will port this to AIO and XDA will port Google AA to other phones - so if and when wireless does work, i can put the dock in the center console and use it for charging there.

I had heard the dock only charged and no data, but good to hear you tested it. Still i can plug phone in for AA and dock for charging. Not the worst combo. Better then those that have no dock connector other then usb.

Took the plunge yesterday and did the hack. Not very hard but a few things i noticed:

1. It comes apart easy
2. Plugging wires into the back is also easy, but the diagrams do have conflicting labels for Rx and Tx
3. My USB adapter lights up when i pick the correct pins for tx and rx
4. I had to turn car on to see the data scrollback - if car is off for so many hours the head unit shuts down. Other tutorials must assume car was turned on past few hours
5. I know linux and putty so running commands was easy
6. I forgot to reboot unit, so wasn't sure why it wasn't autorunning scripts from USB
7. Putting it back together was a little trickier. The head unit has a locating dowel on the left that was hard to align.
8. It takes some time getting used to how the command knobs works in AA and Waze
9. I installed just "enable touch screen while moving" and AA. I have not checked for compass issue as some have reported, and I am not sure how to use the wifi or ssh defaults it enabled - more to research. Pretty sure I can't use either yet.

I've posted this in the diesel thread also pertinent in this thread. Mazda Canada advises:

• AA/ACP coming to CX-9 this year, all remaining models early 2019
  • Hardware/software tweaks required for retrospective installation for vehicles that already have MZD connect
  • Pricing not advised yet.

Last edited:
I've posted this in the diesel thread also pertinent in this thread. Mazda Canada advises:

• AA/ACP coming to CX-9 this year, all remaining models early 2019
  • Hardware/software tweaks required for retrospective installation for vehicles that already have MZD connect
  • Pricing not advised yet.

I thought I had read somewhere that Toyota was working on their next generation interface and wondered if Mazda might get that as well since they are family.

Again with the MEH-ZDA. It's not MEHZDA. hate the way some people pronounce it. MAH-ZDA! Nice that someone finally confirmed it is coming to all
MZD systems.

Last edited:
I thought I had read somewhere that Toyota was working on their next generation interface and wondered if Mazda might get that as well since they are family.
Don't know but apparently there will be MZD Connect II

Damn Aussies get everything Mazda. [emoji6] Do you have the 6 Wagon there?

Theres a video on this topic with the same guy talking to one of the head Mazda Canada marketing people, what he stats in this video is a summary of her words. That first video is more informative.

See above :D

Took the plunge yesterday and did the hack. Not very hard but a few things i noticed:

1. It comes apart easy
2. Plugging wires into the back is also easy, but the diagrams do have conflicting labels for Rx and Tx
3. My USB adapter lights up when i pick the correct pins for tx and rx
4. I had to turn car on to see the data scrollback - if car is off for so many hours the head unit shuts down. Other tutorials must assume car was turned on past few hours
5. I know linux and putty so running commands was easy
6. I forgot to reboot unit, so wasn't sure why it wasn't autorunning scripts from USB
7. Putting it back together was a little trickier. The head unit has a locating dowel on the left that was hard to align.
8. It takes some time getting used to how the command knobs works in AA and Waze
9. I installed just "enable touch screen while moving" and AA. I have not checked for compass issue as some have reported, and I am not sure how to use the wifi or ssh defaults it enabled - more to research. Pretty sure I can't use either yet.

Awesome! Thanks for the report! I ordered the necessary items today from Amazon and plan to attempt this weekend on our 1-day old CX-5 -- despite my wife's pleas not to :) She's an iPhone user, but I think even she'll be blown away by AA once it's up and running. Right now I'm just plannning to leave an old Android phone in there on some kind of cheap Tello plan or something.

Awesome! Thanks for the report! I ordered the necessary items today from Amazon and plan to attempt this weekend on our 1-day old CX-5 -- despite my wife's pleas not to :) She's an iPhone user, but I think even she'll be blown away by AA once it's up and running. Right now I'm just plannning to leave an old Android phone in there on some kind of cheap Tello plan or something.

I'm on your wife's side. Why would you risk voiding your warranty, and breaking your car for a feature that's likely rolling out in a few months? I considered the hack too, but now that Mazda has actually made an official announcement, there's no point. Also, why leave on an old phone in there? Why not just use your everyday device?
If she's an iPhone user, she'll probably enjoy Apple Car Play more.

I know I have usually regretted it when doing something like this that where the wife was opposed to. Happy wife happy life as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back