Roof Rack System and Cargo Box Options for 2017 CX-5

linkkingx

:
GMC Acadia Denali
Hey everybody, I'm currently in the market for a 2017 CX-5 and will be looking to add a roof rack system and cargo box. I don't particularly like the look of the OEM cross bars so I'm pretty much looking after market. I'm wondering if anybody knows if the Thule Force XL or Yakima Skybox 16 will fit on the 2017 CX-5 with either the Yakima or Thule tower and crossbar setup? I know you can adjust them both forward, but I'm not sure how much and if it will be enough to clear the rear hatch. I looked all over for measurements online but couldn't really get a definitive answer.

According to Thule's roof box fit guide, the Thule Force XL will fit a 2017 CX-5 with a normal roof (no OEM roof rails) and using the Thule mounts and crossbars: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo-carrier?q=JveCHwxRw.

I know this YouTube video is of the previous gen CX-5 but they are similar in dimensions. Also, the YouTube video shows the Force XXL (92.5 x 36 x 18 in) which is a larger box than the Force XL (84 x 34.5 x 17 in). On the previous gen, using the Thule mounts and crossbars with the Force XXL, there was enough clearance for the rear hatch to open (1:16 mark in the YouTube Video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMnWYSCX8BU

According to Thule's roof box fit guide, the Thule Force XL will fit a 2017 CX-5 with a normal roof (no OEM roof rails) and using the Thule mounts and crossbars: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo-carrier?q=JveCHwxRw.

I know this YouTube video is of the previous gen CX-5 but they are similar in dimensions. Also, the YouTube video shows the Force XXL (92.5 x 36 x 18 in) which is a larger box than the Force XL (84 x 34.5 x 17 in). On the previous gen, using the Thule mounts and crossbars with the Force XXL, there was enough clearance for the rear hatch to open (1:16 mark in the YouTube Video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMnWYSCX8BU

Thanks, I actually saw that video so I assume it would work. I've read in more than one place though that the fit guides on the Thule and Yakima websites aren't entirely accurate, especially when it comes to clearance for the rear hatch. I was hoping that somebody would actually have one of these boxes mounted to their 2017 CX-5 but I guess it's still too new. Either way I will be getting the car without the roof rails and will try to find a local retailer that has a box in stock so I can test it out before I buy. I'll also have the luxury of measuring the actual roof to see what kind of clearance I'll need. In the mean time I'm hoping that somebody with one of these combos will post a pic online. Thanks again.

Keep in mind that the youtube video and likely the Thule roof box fit guide also are based on using the traverse foot packs (clamp onto roof), where the crossbars can be moved to some extent forward/back. For my setup, which I describe in this thread, there is approximately 16" from the rearward crossbar to the spoiler when the rear hatch is fully open. I have a Thule Ascent 1100 cargo box (older model) and the rear hatch cannot fully open with the cargo box installed. I don't know the position of the crossbars that go on the OEM rails, but do know that they are fixed. Based upon the pics in this thread, the rearward crossbar appears to be positioned further back than in the etrailer youtube video.

If it's important for you to fully open the rear hatch with a cargo box installed, then that might be an argument to go with the clamp-on feet option. There also may be some non-US OEM and third-party crossbars that can actually slide forward/back on the OEM rails.

Last edited:
aa8bd1eb050bd9d4400cd4d5cbbee3b4.jpg

I have a Thule Force XL on my 2017 with the factory crossbars. Sorry I don't have a better picture than this. It is setup about 1.5" aft of the max forward position. It is stable up to 75 MPH loaded that way. I adjusted the rear hatch opening to be about 8" lower than max, and I have almost 1" of clearance between the hatch and the roof box when that is open.

I hope that helps!

One thing to add is the OEM rack and bars are quiet. After having aftermarket bars on my last two cars, this is something I really appreciate. So, I recommend getting the OEM bars, and just removing them when not in use. The rails don't look that bad on the 2017 CX-5

One thing to add is the OEM rack and bars are quiet. After having aftermarket bars on my last two cars, this is something I really appreciate. So, I recommend getting the OEM bars, and just removing them when not in use. The rails don't look that bad on the 2017 CX-5

Out of curiosity, what aftermarket bars did you have? The Thule aeroblade and Yakima jetstream are supposed to be pretty quiet. Is it possible the new CX5 has a quieter interior than your past cars?

Out of curiosity, what aftermarket bars did you have? The Thule aeroblade and Yakima jetstream are supposed to be pretty quiet. Is it possible the new CX5 has a quieter interior than your past cars?

Very quiet other cars:

2008 Saab 9-3 wagon. Saab branded bars, but they were the Thule oval ones, before the aero blade came out. Noisier than the CX-5 bars.

2014 BMW X1. It was a surprisingly quiet car, but not as quiet as the 2017 CX-5. I had Thule aeroblade crossbars. Even my wife who never noticed these things couldn't stand it when we we had the crossbars on.

Well I have to admit your car looks great with the roof box on, but how do you like the look of the bars with no roof box? I'm thinking with the aftermarket rig on a naked roof I can just remove the whole thing when I don't need it. Based on the youtube videos I've watched, the clamp on systems are pretty easy to set up. I actually took a pic of 2 cx5's side by side. One with the oem rack and one without. I just think the car looks so much sharper without it. I can't post the pic from my phone but I can post it later from a computer. Now all I need is a pic of an aftermarket setup so I can compare everything side by side.

Well I have to admit your car looks great with the roof box on, but how do you like the look of the bars with no roof box? I'm thinking with the aftermarket rig on a naked roof I can just remove the whole thing when I don't need it. Based on the youtube videos I've watched, the clamp on systems are pretty easy to set up. I actually took a pic of 2 cx5's side by side. One with the oem rack and one without. I just think the car looks so much sharper without it. I can't post the pic from my phone but I can post it later from a computer. Now all I need is a pic of an aftermarket setup so I can compare everything side by side.

I think it looks terrible with the bars on, but the rails to me don't detract so much from the look as I feared it might. I am sure side by side it looks much nicer without them. On another thread I mention crossbar installation and a tool recommendation:

2017 Roof Rails - Anyone Have Them?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...forum/showthread.php?t=123860320&share_type=t

So, the bars go off on my car once I am done with the box.

Last edited:
Do you have any problem opening or closing your trunk?

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and can't decide between the Thule Force L or the Thule Force XL. Basically I just worried the Thule Force XL won't git with the OEM bars.

aa8bd1eb050bd9d4400cd4d5cbbee3b4.jpg

I have a Thule Force XL on my 2017 with the factory crossbars. Sorry I don't have a better picture than this. It is setup about 1.5" aft of the max forward position. It is stable up to 75 MPH loaded that way. I adjusted the rear hatch opening to be about 8" lower than max, and I have almost 1" of clearance between the hatch and the roof box when that is open.

I hope that helps!

I have a 2018 CX-5 with factory siderails and crossbars. I'm considering buying a Thule Force L.

I realize that I might have to adjust the height of the rear hatch when the box is mounted. Should I be able to mount the Force L on the factory crossbars without any concerns about the antenna, or the minimum spacing between the crossbars?

Here’s my CX-5 with a Yakima Skybox 16 on factory rails. I think this is the biggest box you get get without any fit or hatch clearance issues. It fits up to 180cm skis.

Attachments

• 84FB2666-D4C2-416E-BE8B-97041B310567.jpeg
    84FB2666-D4C2-416E-BE8B-97041B310567.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 512
  • A1443148-E54B-4DCE-8932-B046B8A1BA3E.jpeg
    A1443148-E54B-4DCE-8932-B046B8A1BA3E.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 497
I have a Thule Force XL on my 2017 with the factory crossbars. It is setup about 1.5" aft of the max forward position. It is stable up to 75 MPH loaded that way.
Is it unstable beyond 75mph? In what way?

Or have you only tested it to 75mph?

Thanks.

The problem I had with mounting my old Yakima box was that the nose of the box was angled to an upward attitude because the rear of the Cx5 is a couple of inches lower than the front.
I never drove it at 75 mph but I have seen a number of other vehicles with a box bouncing up and down a bit, probably caused by the wind and minor flexing in the crossbars or possibly the floor of the box itself. It might not hurt anything. Most of the time it doesn't seem like the driver even notices.

Skybox 16 can fit on CX5 factory crossbars but the hatch WILL NOT FULLY OPEN. I repeat it would not. Limited , a lot
I wish I knew.

Yakima Skybox 16 WILL fit on the first generation CX-5 with factory rails and bar. You just have to install it PROPERLY. I just took a 4000 mile cross country road trip with it. Had it for over 2 years. See photo :) Hope it helps whoever is thinking of getting this set up.

Attachments

• 55FFD503-1F25-43E9-A2F3-6ED95EA36814.jpeg
    55FFD503-1F25-43E9-A2F3-6ED95EA36814.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 388
  • F08EF634-7495-40BC-89BE-10E1B857CC6F.jpeg
    F08EF634-7495-40BC-89BE-10E1B857CC6F.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 3A5FD9E0-35B2-4804-9120-C355A942611E.jpeg
    3A5FD9E0-35B2-4804-9120-C355A942611E.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 310
Yakima Skybox 16 WILL fit on the first generation CX-5 with factory rails and bar. You just have to install it PROPERLY. I just took a 4000 mile cross country road trip with it. Had it for over 2 years. See photo :) Hope it helps whoever is thinking of getting this set up.

It looks too long to me. Moving the box forward to clear the rear hatch pushes it into the airstream over the windshield. It also looks like the front is angled upward, causing it to catch more air.

The roofline on the cx5 is only about six feet. If you deduct a foot for front and rear clearance you're left with about four feet, a more appropriate length.

Here’s my 2019 with oem rails and crossbars. Box is the Thule motion XT L. We mounted both the large and xl and the large fit better. No adjustments to the rear lift gate and I have it mounted about 2” from the maximum open position for the rear lift gate. I hope this helps but feel free to ask anything.

Edit: one thing to mention is the motion has the angled back where the force is straight. I also liked the locking system more on the motion than the force.

Attachments

• 74BCB584-1B22-475E-B1F3-AB79660C60A6.jpeg
    74BCB584-1B22-475E-B1F3-AB79660C60A6.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,361
Looks good.

I mounted mine as far back as could go.

Had to lose a bit of hatch height, but thought it looked more aerodynamic (less overhang).

Probably doesn't matter.

Back