2017~2024 CX-5 Doors not closing as smoothly/easily on new purchase

Contrary to belief by a few people on this forum, it IS a truck.

Let's not get annoying on this.

Anyone experienced a driver's door not closing as easily (requires more force) as the other 3 doors on a 2021 CX-5?

Anyone experienced a driver's door not closing as easily (requires more force) as the other 3 doors on a 2021 CX-5?

If you haven't already, try lubricating the door hinges. This is part of the regular maintenance of the car. Use a white lithium grease or a silicone spray as lubrication.

I noticed it is harder to close the doors on my 21 GTR than my 19 GT was. I chalked it up to tighter door seals. I don't think lubrication has anything to do with it.

Contrary to belief by a few people on this forum, it IS a truck.

Let's not get annoying on this.
I'm in the camp that does not consider the CX-5 to be a truck. It is unibody construction, like a jacked up hatchback.

I think of truck as body on frame.

I am a valet driver on the side.
I drive 80+ every day from 1970's Peugeots to Toyota Camerys to Ferrari Californias.

We just bought a <30 mile CX-5 Grand Touring and the first time I close the door during the test drive (before buying it), the doors don't close fully with my normal closing tug.
Obviously, if I close with a strong pull, they close.

I had this with all four doors on the truck.

We've since bought it, and I continue to not close the door fully.

It almost feels like the hinges aren't lubricated enough.

ture
Have any of you experienced the same?
Initially, yes, compared to a 2006 Honda Accord or a 2014 Toyota Sienna in my case, but I'm sure the list could go on and on. I agree with others who attribute it to the beefy weather stripping used for sound deadening. This is not a Tesla where you'd first check if the doors are aligned properly ;) unless your last video is not an exaggeration.

Believe me, you'll get used to it in pretty short order if that video is in fact an exaggeration.

Be aware that the vehicle has a battery saver feature. If you leave the door ajar it will shut off the interior lights after a period of time and will start humming, not the same hum that comes from the engine compartment on shut down which I'm told is a fuel injector diagnostic. So, if you hear a hum in the garage and can't figure out where it is coming from or why, check the doors. Been there, done that.

I have soft close doors and drawers in my kitchen but I would not expect them at the CX-5 price points. Comparing to an A8, Bimmer or McClaren is just showing off even if they are valet vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the camp that does not consider the CX-5 to be a truck. It is unibody construction, like a jacked up hatchback.

I think of truck as body on frame.

Yeah, there's nothing truck-like about it except the ride height.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back