Clear-coat coming off lenses?

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I have a 2015. Looks like the clear-coat is already flaking off of the lenses. What sort of budget s*** is this? I know it's a cheap car, but I've never seen this happen in less than 3 years.

On the bright side, the clear coat on the "inside" of the lenses is the more crucial concern.

Our 2013 lenses and glass fog lenses are pristine due to DIY install of paint protection film on them. The film is 5 years old now. Head lights look newish. I'm considered removing the PPF and installing new ones since after 5 years the PPF has taken the brunt of all rock hits. They are clear but you can feel some roughness to them. Just too lazy right now.

I would suggest having the dealer rectify this....then install some protection film.

That sucks, Agree you only see the clearcoat peeling from older vehicles. I would assume that your 2015 would be a warranty thing. I too installed the 3M from day 1 more for rock protection, and my lights still look new.

Yea, it's been happening to me for a while. I rubbed a little bit of turtle wax rubbing compound on a spot right over the headlight bulb. when I make time I'm going to remove the lights, rubbing compound the oxidation off and clear coat it.

Are you sure it's on the outside? There is TSB about failing seals that cause oxidation on the inside of the lenses.

Hmm. Looks like a PPF is in order for me. Is the DIY process of installation the same as installing window tint where you spray diluted soap on the material?

Hmm. Looks like a PPF is in order for me. Is the DIY process of installation the same as installing window tint where you spray diluted soap on the material?

Different Process.

You have to work, massage, pull the PPF into place for the CX-5 headlights because it is not a flat surface like a window is. There's a curve/contour on the headlights. The foglights are flat so it takes 5 minutes :)

You use Johnsons baby shampoo, alcohol, water mix. You use a felt squeegee tool for application. Any small bubbles present dissipates over time.

The PPF actually enhances the shine of the headlights since it has its own clear coat which is extremely durable. May be cleaned with water or detail spray wax.

Different Process.

You have to work, massage, pull the PPF into place for the CX-5 headlights because it is not a flat surface like a window is. There's a curve/contour on the headlights. The foglights are flat so it takes 5 minutes :)

You use Johnsons baby shampoo, alcohol, water mix. You use a felt squeegee tool for application. Any small bubbles present dissipates over time.

The PPF actually enhances the shine of the headlights since it has its own clear coat which is extremely durable. May be cleaned with water or detail spray wax.
Wow. Time to look for an installer. [emoji1]

Back