Flooded passenger side mats/floors

justaperson05

:
mazda, protege 5, 2003
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out why/how the passenger side of my car ('03 Protege 5- 5 door no sunroof, manual) keeps on flooding with water when it rains. I've done a few google searches and have some ideas, but nothing specific for a protege 5. It's only the passenger side floors that flood and so far tends to happen after it rains. When I look under the hood and try to remove the wiper cowl, I can't track the water anywhere (like on the videos I find through my google search). Everything under the hood is completely dry. I'm 90% sure the liquid is water as it doesn't smell like anything in particular, has a residue, and all my fluid levels are topped off and are remaining steady. The water is accumulating between the metal flooring of the car and the carpet that overlies it.

IMG_2137.JPGIMG_2131.JPG

Anyone have any ideas on how to trouble shoot/fix? THX!

This might be a bit crazy, but your profile says Houston....exactly how much rain has your car taken on lately?

i'd check your AC drain tube. Other than that maybe door seals, or something else. remove as much of the interior trim as you can (glove box, A pillar, dash if possible) and have someone start hitting it heavy with a garden hose until you can see water coming in.

or it may not be from the rain at all, and your AC drain tube from the evap box is either dislodged and draining into your floorboard instead of outside the car, or the evap box is clogged with debris and leaking on to your floor.

All good thoughts, I'll check into all of them. Thank you! Now I just need to find a shop or friend who can help me do all of that. Door seals are good, I checked that first when trying to track the leak source from the inside of the car.

Hurricane Harvey just hit over the last 4 days... we had a LOT of rain.

As others have mentioned check the A/C drain hose. Hurricane flooding brings debris and mud and this tends to clog this hose. I can ascertain from experience :)

Mine never left the garage at my 130' elevation house during that s***. I have a truck for that. Yep on body seam, door seals, AC drain or dry rotted grommets but I will add........crispy windshield seal possibly? If you didn't drive thru any high water then the list gets smaller.............

Getting moisture in my floorboard as well lately when running the AC for a while. Not as much moisture as "justaperson05" shows in his pic, but a little moisture. I had the car on jackstands the other day and couldn't find a condensation drain line anywhere on the passenger side. Any thoughts on where it might be? I'm probably overlooking it.

Trace it from inside the car in passenger footwell. It is where the tube could have been kicked off the box and condensation just dripping into floor instead of going out.

Back