Is there a trick so my phone gps will still work when set to bluetooth in car?

meghanconn

:
2016 mazda cx-5 sport
I have a 2016 mazda cx-5 sport. I don't have gps capability in my car. The one thing that drives me the craziest is that if I have my phone on bluetooth or if its plugged into my car charger, my gps won't talk to me. Is there a way to change some settings so my phone gps can still work while its plugged in or on bluetooth?

Same problem with my 2017. Phone audio comes through Bluetooth. GPS audio, music, etc do not. There are other threads that talk about this problem. I'm hoping Mazda fixes it when the Android Auto-Apple Car Play becomes available.

Just found that the other day. Same issue with 2017.
Have you tried to set the Bluetooth to *PHONE ONLY*?
Wonder if that would work....
That is, if you don't stream music from phone to the car.

I just tried this and I can get Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze to give me directions while playing music on my phone. I tried it both while having audio set to Bluetooth as well as USB1. Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze would slightly lower the music and talk over the music similar to the way the built-in navigation works.

I checked the OS version of my mazda connect and it showed:

OS Version is 59.00.446 NA N
Music Database Version is 00.07.000
Fail-Safe Version is 59.00.446

I'm using an iPhone 7 plus running iOS 10.3.2.

I just tried this and I can get Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze to give me directions while playing music on my phone. I tried it both while having audio set to Bluetooth as well as USB1. Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze would slightly lower the music and talk over the music similar to the way the built-in navigation works.

I checked the OS version of my mazda connect and it showed:

OS Version is 59.00.446 NA N
Music Database Version is 00.07.000
Fail-Safe Version is 59.00.446

I'm using an iPhone 7 plus running iOS 10.3.2.

Works for me too in my 2017 CX5 and IPhone 7+

What if you don't play music on your phone?

If I'm not playing music via bluetooth or USB, then I don't hear any GPS audio prompts. Even if I'm in bluetooth audio or USB audio but the music is paused, I won't hear any GPS directions. Looks like it will only work while music is playing off of my phone.

I tried my own suggestion above.
If I set the Bluetooth connection to PHONE ONLY (no Audio), then, I can hear GoogleMap voice guidance and receive phone calls.
No streaming of music (which I don't so anyway). I use USB.

I tried my own suggestion above.
If I set the Bluetooth connection to PHONE ONLY (no Audio), then, I can hear GoogleMap voice guidance and receive phone calls.
No streaming of music (which I don't so anyway). I use USB.

To clarify, you "can hear GoogleMap voice guidance FROM THE PHONE and receive phone calls THROUGH THE MAZDA SPEAKERS", correct?

Yes.
By setting the connections (Device->Bluetooth->Settings) to PHONE only, I can hear google map's guidance voice from the phone itself.
Phone calls remain no change, thru the speakers.

Why? My guess as follows:
When the setting is PHONE+AUDIO, the phone sends all voices to the MID. However, MID only picks up PHONE and MUSIC.
(diff profiles supported)
APP voice is lost.
By setting to PHONE only, the phone only sends calls to MID.
Hence, you hear app voice and music directly from the phone.
You won't be able to stream music to the MID. That is the downside.

Thanks for sharing this tip.

Through several Mazdas, I've been frustrated that the Waze voice didn't provide voice over the infotainment speakers when the phone was connected to the car USB port.
My workaround was using a separate charger and connecting via bluetooth.

I'll try changing to phone only and perhaps eliminate the 12v to USB charger.

Everything works for me in Bluetooth connectivity. Calls, music, Waze instructions and even voice commands.

There are settings for the specific device you connected as to use it for phone and/or audio etc.

I’m not sure I understand the OP’s problem completely, but I have no problem getting GPS (Apple Maps) audio cues over the car speakers regardless if I’m listening to Bluetooth audio from my phone or just listening to regular FM in my car.

There is an option that will only show up under Apple Maps while you are actively navigating and connected to your Mazda via Bluetooth. You can then tap on the speaker icon and enable to option for HFP prompts which will allow voice guidance over your car speakers while listening to something other than Bluetooth. On the display it actually shows up as a phone call.

I hope that helps a little.

Back