Rusted fuel line

mark2000

Got a knock on my door from the police on a Saturday morning. Apparently my 03 P5 was leaking fuel and the fire department had to be called to investigate and deploy some absorball. Indeed, when I looked under the car, there was a fuel leak in the fuel line in the area just before the line goes into the fuel tank. I had smelled fuel the day before but I didn't think anything of it.

I took the car to a mechanic who was able to patch the line for a very reasonable $100. I inspected the patch and it looks pretty good (about 4 inches long, clamps on both sides, spray sealant) and I haven't had any fuel leaks from the area since.

Question is, should I replace the whole line, and if so, what kind of price am I looking at for this sort of part and what is the part name? Is this the kind of thing that will require a huge disassembly of other parts and major labour costs, or is it A fairly simple remove and replace?

Anything other spin-off issues or related issues I should look out for as a result of a fuel line leak?

Back