2013 Rear Shock leak, how long can I keep riding?

:
CX-5, fwd auto
Hi,

I took the car for oil change today, and told one of the rear shock is leaking little bit. My previous card never need to replace shock until about 60,000 miles, my car is still only 40,000ish miles.

My question is can I keep riding until it breaks?
How do I now if I need to replace the rear shocks? (Currently rides smooth and just fine)

If I must need to replace, any recommendations?

Thanks.

Well, if it is leaking, that means it is already broken. :'(

You replace the shock when it leaks or is worn out.

Is it truly leaking or is the outer covering just damp? Most major manufactures will not replace unless the shock cover is moist over 1/2 it's length. This is what I remember but, could be from several years ago. I'd let it go since the car rides and drives fine. I presume you trust the shop or did you get to inspect the shocks yourself? Ed

There is no danger with driving it, just poor ride over bumps - continues to bounce/afterbounce - and an effect on handling.

Thanks. It looks like I still need to replace in the near future. I am not looking for cheapest option as I am keeping the car for another 10 years. What is my best option? The dealer, midas, etc. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

I have heard of tecks dripping a bit of oil on a shock to encourage more revenue even when the shock was fine...
In the old days we used to stand on the bumper and bounce the car, when you jump off if it continued to bounce more than once the shock was weak. Problem now is it is built into the strut so it is expensive to replace...

Thanks. It looks like I still need to replace in the near future. I am not looking for cheapest option as I am keeping the car for another 10 years. What is my best option? The dealer, midas, etc. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
This thread has plenty of info on rear shock replacement:

Right rear shock blown at 65K miles

Firstly there's a TSB:

Shock Absorber Replacement Guidelines 1999-2016 Mazda

"In most cases the oil that is present is normal, and a result of the oil that remains on the shaft during the normal sweeping process of the shaft seal.
Follow the inspection guidelines to determine if the condition is a result of the normal sweeping process or a failure of the shaft seal.
If it is oil seepage, the shock absorber does NOT need to be replaced.
If it is oil leakage, the shock absorber needs to be replaced.
"

Secondly, if your rear shock looks like this and can't pass the good-old "bouncing test", you do need at least a pair of rear shocks.

attachment.php

Check out my pic above, it has oily residue all down the entire shock body, and on the dust cover itself. It definitely needs replacement. When I press down on the rear edge of the cargo area towards that side, it bounces with more than one oscillation (down-up-down). When I press down on the other side, which has a totally dry shock, it goes down-up and stops immediately.

RockAuto definitely seems to be the place to get KYB shocks. The rears are only $45 each, and $70 each for the front.

Although I usually get OEM shocks, you can go for KYB GR-2 rear shocks from RockAuto for aftermarket shocks with excellent price.

And it's very easy to replace rear shocks on CX-5: "2 nuts up top and one bolt at the bottom" with no spring compression involved.

Thanks all. I know the right part and where to buy. I will buy them and get it installed at the local shop. The guide was tremendous help. The right rear shock, the bottom bolt close to the ground is all wet with oil. So I need to replace in the near future. Thanks all this was great learning.

I realize this is Toyota/Lexus but this is part of a TSB they use for replacement criteria.

screen_shot_2017_05_28_at_7_38_33_am_f383b557dbce3379d89e7944e15b35118029727c.png

Back