Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

Bigtex, in the pic above of your "new" bolt, is that the final length? If so, what is the length? It looks about an inch longer than the stock bolt.

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

It is about 6 3/4". The coupling nut is about 1 1/4" and it would be better if you could find one a little shorter, but then you might need to snip some of the threads from the original bolt to make room for the new threaded rod. If any of that make sense?
    On my setup, the coupling nut hits before the bolt is fully tightened, so I just used a few rubber hose washers between the bolt head and the speaker and then when I tighten everything up, it is very snug against the speaker.
    Last edited by bigtex; 08-30-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

Bigtex, makes sense, thanks. Already ordered the wheel and tire per your recommendation.

Registered Member

Future CX-5 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
    It is about 6 3/4". The coupling nut is about 1 1/4" and it would be better if you could find one a little shorter, but then you might need to snip some of the threads from the original bolt to make room for the new threaded rod. If any of that make sense?
    On my setup, the coupling nut hits before the bolt is fully tightened, so I just used a few rubber hose washers between the bolt head and the speaker and then when I tighten everything up, it is very snug against the speaker.
    Greetings. New to the forum and plan on getting a CX-5 Diesel when it comes out. I currently drive a VW TDI, so the VWGate issue is dropping a large pile of cash in my lap for me to switch over.

I have a background in machining and welding from the Army, and I would have chosen a different route. Ideally, I would cut the bolt and lengthen it to the needed size and weld it to length.

But another method I would choose is to cut off the threaded portion of the bolt. Then drill and tap the solid portion and insert the threaded rod into your new hole with additional length. To adjust bottoming length, you can just add a nut to the end, which can give you a smaller incremental length increase without needing to add washers to the top. This would require a little more technical how-to, but I think would be better in the long run.

But I do appreciate you finding this information. I go scuba diving as often as I can and I have some heavy steel tanks I carry. They've cause issues with my TDI, but using the spare tire as reinforcement for their weight would help out a lot.

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpocketdeath View Post
    I have a background in machining and welding from the Army, and I would have chosen a different route. Ideally, I would cut the bolt and lengthen it to the needed size and weld it to length.

But another method I would choose is to cut off the threaded portion of the bolt. Then drill and tap the solid portion and insert the threaded rod into your new hole with additional length. To adjust bottoming length, you can just add a nut to the end, which can give you a smaller incremental length increase without needing to add washers to the top. This would require a little more technical how-to, but I think would be better in the long run.
    Sounds like a great way to do it as well! I was just using readily available parts and trying to provide a quick, easy fix for those without welding equipment or a drill press. The CX5 diesel should be awesome.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Calculation aside, here's the spec of overall diameter from all OE tires used on Mazda CX-5 and supposed T155/90D18 spare for CX-5 AWD. Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 113M tire is the spare found in CX-7 AWD and 1st-gen CX-9 AWD. They're all within reasonable 0.4" tolerance on overall tire diameter.

Mazda CX-5 OE Tires Size Overall Tire Diameter
    Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H 28.5"
    Toyo A23 225/55R19 99V 28.9"
    Yokohama Y870B T145/90D16 106M N/A (26.3" estimated)
    Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 113M 28.5"
    I found a Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 113M tire off a wrecked '14 1st gen CX-9 at a local junk yard, the spare was practically brand new never used, junkyard wanted $65, I thought it was a good deal, so I bought it..... it fits perfectly in my 16 CX-5, no need to take off or cut the foam smaller, fully plug and play mod....

Bigtex is right, when you see it in person, the size difference is startling, I can't believe Mazda approved this, the 145/90 R16 would not be good for the AWD system

I wonder what the new CX-9's AWD get for spare tire sizes....

you have to see it in person, the size difference is very noticeable

155/90 R18 fits perfectly in 2016 CX-5

cargo floor is flat without any modification, just drop in new wheel and screw on, pure plug and play

the larger wheel now takes up the empty space where I used to put my heavy duty emergency orange triangles, and with cargo space at a premium, I didn't want the triangles up in the cargo area, I wanted them to remain in the hidden spare tire compartment, so I cut a little of the foam to the left of the spare, that extra foam was useless and doing nothing and just taking up precious space. Now everything fits nice and neatly and ready for any emergency.

Thanks Bigtex for the heads up on the mismatched spare.
    Last edited by tomcat1446; 09-04-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2017 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post
    I found a Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 113M tire off a wrecked '14 1st gen CX-9 at a local junk yard, the spare was practically brand new never used, junkyard wanted $65, I thought it was a good deal, so I bought it..... it fits perfectly in my 16 CX-5, no need to take off or cut the foam smaller, fully plug and play mod....
    I envy you finding a wrecked '14 CX-9 AWD which is rare for the MY! In Texas very few CX's are AWD and I had to special order ours. It would be impossible to find a late 1st-gen CX-9 AWD in our salvage yards! Have you checked the date code on your Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 113M? Since it's from a 2014, it shouldn't be more than 4 years old.

I thought T155/90D18 should be a better "fit" for our need as a spare for AWD since it had been planned by Mazda as the factory spare for CX-5 AWD at certain point indicated on thier website. Now you have one and have verified there's no need to trim the foam block down which is great!

2nd-gen CX-9's have bigger road tires, 255/60R18 107H or 255/50R20 104V, and the spare is one (small) size fit all, T155/90D17 101M.

Registered Member

Cx5 GT 2013

what subwoofer is that? can u give more info? thanks!

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Muri79 View Post
    what subwoofer is that? can u give more info? thanks!
    you mean Bigtex's picture ? that's the new Bose subwoofer that comes with 2017 CX-5 GT's

that new for 2017, 2016 and previous years don't have

Registered Member

2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I envy you finding a wrecked '14 CX-9 AWD which is rare for the MY! In Texas very few CX's are AWD and I had to special order ours. It would be impossible to find a late 1st-gen CX-9 AWD in our salvage yards! Have you checked the date code on your Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 113M? Since it's from a 2014, it shouldn't be more than 4 years old.

I thought T155/90D18 should be a better "fit" for our need as a spare for AWD since it had been planned by Mazda as the factory spare for CX-5 AWD at certain point indicated on thier website. Now you have one and have verified there's no need to trim the foam block down which is great!

2nd-gen CX-9's have bigger road tires, 255/60R18 107H or 255/50R20 104V, and the spare is one (small) size fit all, T155/90D17 101M.
    so it looks like 2nd-gen CX-9's also have a mismatched spare issue also, their given spare is 28" diameter and their main wheels are 30" diameter :
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...size&p=6539972

I'm not an expert on these things so can't comment on the reliability of using these small spares and what's the maximum distance they're allowed to be used without damaging the AWD system.....

but I did find that mismatched revolutions is not good: https://www.lesschwab.com/learn/arti...ur-awd-vehicle

Mazda is giving us CX5 and CX9 AWD owners difference in diameter of 2 inches!!! what gives ?
    Last edited by batmancx; 09-04-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post

...the larger wheel now takes up the empty space where I used to put my heavy duty emergency orange triangles, and with cargo space at a premium, I didn't want the triangles up in the cargo area, I wanted them to remain in the hidden spare tire compartment, so I cut a little of the foam to the left of the spare, that extra foam was useless and doing nothing and just taking up precious space. Now everything fits nice and neatly and ready for any emergency.

Thanks Bigtex for the heads up on the mismatched spare.
    I like the trick for the triangles. I think I have the same ones. I've got to remember to do this.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Geez, thanks a lot guys, now I need to go spend another $200! Just checked my '14 GT and yup, I've got the 16" small spare. Never noticed it before, but now it's gotta go!

On a different note, my spare came with a black plastic "spinner" with the hold down bolt embedded in it (I have Bose, but there is no spare wheel subwoofer). Then I noticed that there was a yellow plastic "spinner" off to the right in the molded styrofoam around the spare. I pulled it out and noticed that the bolt in it was longer which I assume means that it would be long enough to hold down the OEM 19" wheel in the wheel well. So I shouldn't need to mod that bolt at least when I get a proper-sized spare.

A followup question: The Kumho T121 says the rim width range is 4"-4", yet the wheel is 5.5". Is that going to be a problem? Hopefully not since I just ordered the wheel!

Further update: Tire rack says that the tire won't work with the 5.5" rim width, so I think I'll go with the 18" option like Tomcat1446 used.
    Last edited by minnesotaart; 09-05-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    I like the trick for the triangles. I think I have the same ones. I've got to remember to do this.
    Thx yeah, it's the same heavy duty type that truckers use, good heavy weight and large big bright oranges triangles when unfolded, they are pretty standard and readily available on eBay, I got them cheap like $12 for two, but they sell them in 3s in a red plastic box http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cortina-3-Pi...sAAOSwxxdZZyCY

Prior to knowing about the mismatched spare tire, the smaller tire left enough gap for the triangles on each side of the smaller spare, with the right size spare now, the triangles no longer fit.

Then noticed that huge chunk of styrofoam on the left of the spare taking up a lot for space where I can fit the two triangles, took a quick measurement and used a handsaw to trimmed off the foam to fit the two triangles, perfect fit and didn't need to sacrifice any precious cargo area.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2017 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotaart View Post
    Geez, thanks a lot guys, now I need to go spend another $200! Just checked my '14 GT and yup, I've got the 16" small spare. Never noticed it before, but now it's gotta go!

On a different note, my spare came with a black plastic "spinner" with the hold down bolt embedded in it (I have Bose, but there is no spare wheel subwoofer). Then I noticed that there was a yellow plastic "spinner" off to the right in the molded styrofoam around the spare. I pulled it out and noticed that the bolt in it was longer which I assume means that it would be long enough to hold down the OEM 19" wheel in the wheel well. So I shouldn't need to mod that bolt at least when I get a proper-sized spare.

A followup question: The Kumho T121 says the rim width range is 4"-4", yet the wheel is 5.5". Is that going to be a problem? Hopefully not since I just ordered the wheel!

Further update: Tire rack says that the tire won't work with the 5.5" rim width, so I think I'll go with the 18" option like Tomcat1446 used.
    You found something about the temporary spares on the rim width. All of these temporary spare tires are fit on 4" rim width. I believe bigtex overlooked this part and chose a wheel a little too wide for those temporary spares.

Further, turned out Mazda USA does have 18x4 spare wheel listed in its parts ONLY for CX-5 AWD! This further proves T155/90D18 113M was supposed to be the spare for our CX-5 AWD but got pulled in the last minute in favor of saving some pennies for Mazda!

WHEEL, SPARE 18X4 - MAZDA (9965-01-4080) List Price: $270.69

When I saw the jaw-dropping price of the 18X4 wheel, I'm really jealous of tomcat1446 found such a fairly new 18" spare tire for only $65!!!

And the longer yellow flat-tire hold-on bolt is for damaged road tire which is much wider than the temporary spare. bigtex's mod on spare hold-on bolt is for 2017 CX-5 which comes with a sub-woofer on Bose. According to 2017 CX-5 Owner's Manual, there should be a longer flat-tire hold-on bolt with wing nut somewhere with Bose sub-woofer. His mod on bolt may not be needed.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

I think Bigtex might be ok, I found this chart online,

for rim width 5.5" : minimum tire width is 165mm like the Kumho T121, it's not ideal but acceptable.

max tire width allowed is 195mm but might be difficult to find the perfect aspect ratio to match Mazda CX-5.

am I missing something?

Last edited by blackcx5; 09-05-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast