2017~2024 CX-5 DTE (Drive to Empty) ratings

:
Mazda 626 LX POS
Hello All,

As a current Mazda owner, 15 long years with the same 626, I am looking to branch out and buy something new. The CX-5 has had my attention for some time now. The only thing I can't find online is the DTE.

I recently rented a vehicle that gave me 980kms DTE @ $54 fill up CAD. Blew my mind!

When you guys fill up from empty to full, what does your DTE read and cost to fill?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

G.M.

Hi Glock Matherson,
The 980 km translate to 608 miles.
That could be possible with a vehicle that give you around 30-32 miles per gallon.
I do not have on the top of my head the tank capacity, but when you do the reset the numbers are based on the tank filled with the vehicle not moving. Once you start to drive, the numbers are off.
Also depends if the CX5 is AWD or FWD.
Do not forget to take in consideration that gas in certain US states have less burning-octane power due to environmental regulations, increasing the consumption of gas.

Hi Glock Matherson,
The 980 km translate to 608 miles.
That could be possible with a vehicle that give you around 30-32 miles per gallon.
I do not have on the top of my head the tank capacity, but when you do the reset the numbers are based on the tank filled with the vehicle not moving. Once you start to drive, the numbers are off.
Also depends if the CX5 is AWD or FWD.
Do not forget to take in consideration that gas in certain US states have less burning-octane power due to environmental regulations, increasing the consumption of gas.

The FWD fuel capacity is 14.8
The AWD fuel capacity is 15.3
So FWD combined mileage is 27mpg while the AWD is 26mpg so a 3.8% difference in mileage
But, the AWD capacity is 3.8% larger... so that's a wash.. if I did the math right.

I get 29 combined. Do it 29 times 11 = 320 miles which is the normal range.
If you run at a constant speed of 30 to 50 miles / hour - your DTE should be about 350 miles.

14.8 gallons is on paper - I think the max it has allowed me to fill was 12. So 11 is a good ballpark.
If DTE is a concern, based on your driving you need to evaluate Volvo V60. On highway it can have a really good number since it does about 15% better than CX5. DTE for CX5 is horribad.

There are people on this forum - who keep pumping after the auto shut off - there are some who report to have pumped in a lot of fuel after cut off - I never do that, if that is something you care comfortable, you can add 2-3 gallons of fuel to the CX5 which is 380-410 miles. I personally believe the fuel warning light should come up when you have 12.5 gallons consumed, though it comes on based on avg. mpg but normally at around 11 gallons used.

Last edited:
Hmmm, how much gas is left in the tank after the fuel warning light comes on for a 2017 CX5 GT AWD?

Hmmm, how much gas is left in the tank after the fuel warning light comes on for a 2017 CX5 GT AWD?

Routinely refill in low 300's for 11+ gallons. Right at 28 MPG. Light comes on around that time. You can theoretically go 400 in a 2017 but you'd have to be pushing empty at that point. I have a 2015 so it does slightly better.

Low 4s..I've pushed her to ~420-430 still seemed to have some gas @0 mile range for like 20 miles.. don't believe I've ever squeezed in much more than 14.5 which is good bc I hear running the tank empty is generally a bad idea..and the reason I'll sometimes go for a bit beyond 0 DTE but I don't make it a habit..400ish is what you can reasonably expect- mid 4s could be possible (awd) if you try- ie keeping under 110ks/hr or so, accelerate gently, coast alot etc.

Last edited:

Varies based on a few factors - usually there's ~2-ish gals

Edit: That's for a 0 miles DTE. The warning light comes on much earlier though.

Probably more helpful
103906767b6a724c79367a1838c679f3.jpg

Hi Everyone.

Thank you all very much for your responses. They've all been useful to my data collection per say. It seems that most say 400 miles or 640Kms here in Canada.

And in regards to the 980 DTE car I drove to the US, was an Altima. Decent ride for a rental, but preferred Enterprise rented Mazda's. JMO.

One of my neighbors picked up a 2017 Mazda CX-5 AWD full loaded with every option and spent $42,000 CAD. Pretty good deal IMO. I drool every time I walk past it.

Plus, I've read it can tow up to 2000lbs which is good because I'm looking at a small camper as well to head to the states for camping.

Anyways, thank you all once again for your input. I look forward to being apart of the Mazda community once I make my purchase.

Cheers.
GM

Why would a Canadian come here to camp? With all that you have?
We go to Canada.

I hear you. I've camped a lot here in Canada. Sometimes it's nice for a change of scenery. Although, you can't beat fishing up here! Oh, and the beer. LOL

Why would a Canadian come here to camp? With all that you have?
We go to Canada.

Rofl! No kidding. I often fantasize about just moving into the woods up there and never coming out, based on the photos I've seen!

Also...I'd never tow with this thing. With 3 adults, it's plenty livable, but a camper? No. Get something with balls. The new cx5 diesel might fit the bill though.

Rofl! No kidding. I often fantasize about just moving into the woods up there and never coming out, based on the photos I've seen!

Also...I'd never tow with this thing. With 3 adults, it's plenty livable, but a camper? No. Get something with balls. The new cx5 diesel might fit the bill though.

Something like this. It's under 1500 lbs. I'll get a bumper sticker that reads... If this camper is rockin, don't you dare come a knockin. :)

01.jpg

Back