2017 cross bar recommendations?

FV9

:
2017 Mazda CX9 Signature
Would love to hear about roof rack cross bar recommendations. Planning on going with a Thule roof box for skis, boots, family trip gear, etc. Do the OEM cross bars provide enough clearance so a Thule box with universal feet won't mar the roof paint? Or do I have to go Thule or Yakima cross bars and feet? Thanks!

I have the Mazda OEM crossbars installed along with a Thule Force XL cargo box. The feet of the Thule unit are rubber coated so any contact with the roof of the vehicle minimizes any scratching or damage. The feet of the unit that attach to the cross bars will touch the vehicle if the clamps are fully open when placing the cargo box on top of the vehicle - as a solution load the cargo box on top of the crossbars in a closed, clamped position and adjust accordingly once the box is on top of the roof racks. There isn't much clearance from the shark fin to the cargo box when it is installed. I've found it best to have the cargo box at the most forward position possible to not interfere with the shark fin. You will have plenty of clearance for the rear liftgate opening as well. This cargo box is heavy - and it's a good idea to have taller persons or strategically placed step stools ready for installation. I've also found that the cargo box creates some wind noise that can be minimized by closing the headliner for the moonroof.

I have no experience with the Thule or Yakima cross bars - but I've found the OEM's are sufficient and don't have an after-market appearance. I hope this helps.

I have the Mazda OEM crossbars installed along with a Thule Force XL cargo box. The feet of the Thule unit are rubber coated so any contact with the roof of the vehicle minimizes any scratching or damage. The feet of the unit that attach to the cross bars will touch the vehicle if the clamps are fully open when placing the cargo box on top of the vehicle - as a solution load the cargo box on top of the crossbars in a closed, clamped position and adjust accordingly once the box is on top of the roof racks. There isn't much clearance from the shark fin to the cargo box when it is installed. I've found it best to have the cargo box at the most forward position possible to not interfere with the shark fin. You will have plenty of clearance for the rear liftgate opening as well. This cargo box is heavy - and it's a good idea to have taller persons or strategically placed step stools ready for installation. I've also found that the cargo box creates some wind noise that can be minimized by closing the headliner for the moonroof.

I have no experience with the Thule or Yakima cross bars - but I've found the OEM's are sufficient and don't have an after-market appearance. I hope this helps.

It does. I appreciate the comments. Thanks!

Yeah oem crossbars + Thule is the move. I have the sonic.
37222f1ce0937fa5e9e07b4c2417de8f.jpg

Thule...$420 to $570.
Mazda...$300 or less.

I think the Thule with the podium foot can take a longer bar if that's needed, a bar that will stick out as wide as the mirrors. Room for more kayaks, etc.

Back