1st Gen CX-9 versus 2nd Gen Cx-9

The tilt mirrors were only available in the GT in 13-15 and are overrated because of the backup camera and rear sensors in the second gen. Useless feature were those mirrors if you ask me.

To each his own--I have had tilt mirrors on my past 2 cars, and use them just about every day. I guess you never have to parallel park?

To each his own--I have had tilt mirrors on my past 2 cars, and use them just about every day. I guess you never have to parallel park?

Good point, depending on where you live you may never park along a curb. Driveway at home, parking lots everywhere else if you live outside of a city. This is why you'll get two opposing opinions on this feature. Just like a Floridian wouldn't care if they dropped heated seats.

Wow, I took my eyes off this thread for a day and there's been lots of good discussion. Clearly we're all really passionate about our CX-9s (as it should be) and offer a lot in terms of opinion and facts.

Ultimately, I think the things that people liked about their Gen 1 CX-9 over their Gen 2 Cx-9 include:
- More Space
- Greater Adjustment in the Driver Seat
- No Hump
- Tilt Reverse Mirrors (later Gen 1s)
- Auto Folding Mirrors (later Gen 2s)

Things that owners really like about their 2nd Gen CX-9:
- Better efficiency
- Better interior styling
- More safety features

Also, you guys touched on the fact the Gen 1s had different features as the model years advanced. My 2008 window switches are all lit on all doors, but I understand that this was not the case in the more recent models. Heated seats had more settings on the more recent models versus my 2008's On / Off. More recent GT models lost the overhead ambient blue LED. More recent models gained a MPG rating on the center display. Rear ventilation settings are also digital on more recent models.

Personally, I had been waiting on the Gen 2, but for me the space of my 2008 and the way I can adjust my seat are really important. I have my seat set comfortably in a proper autocross position, but I do not think that I could adjust the Gen 2 this way.

Good passion guys. That's what I've liked about this community.
I had the 2011 Sport V6 and have now the 2016+ GT Awd.

The only things I see the older version better is:

A) space

B) first 2.5 seconds when accelerate from stop.

Yes. The turbo engine accelerate quicker and have lot of power sensation, but is a fact 100%, when I hit the gas to the max from full stop for a quick launch in the old v6, the SUV launched like a rocket.

In the new one, the first 2 seconds feels like "what's happening here"? And then power and acceleration arrives in waves.

Yes. The DPT turbo is amazing and have full torque since 2000 rpm and lag is minimum but there is still a turbo lag when launch from zero.

Last edited:

I have and do. Don't need the tilt mirrors to do it. You're right, to each their own.

I had an issue with the deletion of the tilt feature in the driver seat and loss of cargo space. Those are my major complaints.

Back