1st Gen CX-9 versus 2nd Gen Cx-9

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Not to diminish the goodness of the 2nd generation CX-9, but I have a question for those who owned a 1st generation (2007 - 2015) CX-9 and now have a 2nd generation (2016 - on) CX-9...

What, if anything, do you like better about your 1st generation CX-9? Thanks.

Space and v6
True. Yes, the space (esp in the 3rd row) is the main showstopper for me moving out of my 2008.

But, how so regarding the V6? The 4 cylinder is supposed ok unless you're lighting it up on the highway.

The 2nd gen is indeed faster with it's 4. The old V6 was an old Ford dinosaur.

Appreciate the feedback so far.

Ok, space is one item noted and we have some preferences for both the V6 and the 4 cylinder turbo, which is what I pretty much expected.

Anything else more subtle?... braking, steering, suspension, electronics, switch gear, seating, steering wheel, interior design, storage, materials, exterior, exhaust, wheel / tire, rack, hitch, glass, etc.

Thanks.

The 2nd gen is indeed faster with it's 4. The old V6 was an old Ford dinosaur.

2nd gen is not faster. The old V6 sounded a lot better and basically the same mpg. The best engine was the 3.5 ltr v6 that first came in the CX-9. Fuel mileage was better than 3.7 ltr or the new 4 banger, which sounds like a lawnmower when accelerating. We've had 4 CX-9s and as a whole, the 2nd gen is the best but Mazda messed up some items on this car that it should have corrected. Infotainment system is sluggish, seems about 4 years behind everyone else's and the car has been decontented over the years. Most glaring is lack of adjustments to the drivers seat. Passenger seat should have at least a height adjustment, even a manual one. The most basic VWs have height adjustments for goodness sakes.

Why get rid of power folding and auto tilt reverse mirrors on such a big SUV?

Why get rid of power folding and auto tilt reverse mirrors on such a big SUV?

Did you have these on your 1st Gen CX-9?

I think I remember some posts regarding the auto-tilt in reverse. My 2008 did not have either available.

Just space.. roomier interior, but the 2nd Gen is better is every other aspect.

Don't think the 1st gen ever had power folding mirrors, or auto-tilt...

Did you have these on your 1st Gen CX-9?

I think I remember some posts regarding the auto-tilt in reverse. My 2008 did not have either available.

my 2014 has auto tilt reverse mirrors as well as memory seats with mirror position memory associated to the seat memory.

silly they removed these options from the new one.

this, the engine sound and lack of space + gap in the boot where the 3rd row seats fold are deal breakers for me.

shame because I really love my current cx-9 and would have upgraded if it was not for these.

2nd gen is not faster. The old V6 sounded a lot better and basically the same mpg. The best engine was the 3.5 ltr v6 that first came in the CX-9. Fuel mileage was better than 3.7 ltr or the new 4 banger, which sounds like a lawnmower when accelerating. We've had 4 CX-9s and as a whole, the 2nd gen is the best but Mazda messed up some items on this car that it should have corrected. Infotainment system is sluggish, seems about 4 years behind everyone else's and the car has been decontented over the years. Most glaring is lack of adjustments to the drivers seat. Passenger seat should have at least a height adjustment, even a manual one. The most basic VWs have height adjustments for goodness sakes.

The 3.5 in 07 was better than the 3.7 in 08-15? You're out of your mind. With 8more Hp and 25 ft-lbs of torque and the same mpg, the 3.7L was better.

BTW, check out Fuelly.com. The 2016+ CX-9 gets was better fuel economy than Gen 1.

Also, what features has Mazda taken away year after year? You claim they "decontent" over the years? Please tell me what was taken away? My 2016 has more features than ever before.

Get out of here with your VW fanboy nonsense.

The 3.5 in 07 was better than the 3.7 in 08-15? You're out of your mind. With 8more Hp and 25 ft-lbs of torque and the same mpg, the 3.7L was better.

BTW, check out Fuelly.com. The 2016+ CX-9 gets was better fuel economy than Gen 1.

Also, what features has Mazda taken away year after year? You claim they "decontent" over the years? Please tell me what was taken away? My 2016 has more features than ever before.

in reference to lost features, read my post above. I own a 2014 CX-9

Be respectful. Cx9 lost driver seat height adjustment and reverse mirror auto tilt as well as space.

Be respectful. Cx9 lost driver seat height adjustment and reverse mirror auto tilt as well as space.

Be respectful? Respect was paid.

The 2016+ has LED high + low beam lights, LED fogs, I-ACTIVSENSE safety suit of tech (08-15 had nothing but BSM), better FE, better infotainment (still lacking in ways compared to competitors), 2nd row USB ports, HUD

I'm sorry, but 2016+ was not decontented. Yes, it's smaller inside, but overall offers more.

You add features but don't take them away plain and simple. I don't remember any auto maker doing this on a mainstream SUV.

Manufacturers will often remove a feature after a redesign and that feature is no longer needed.

The outside mirrors are not big enough on this gen to warrant a folding feature, and tilt down is redundant with the back up camera.

As far as the other claims, I am disappointed that the memory seat feature does not include the mirrors, but the engine bashing is unwarranted. This is a very good engine as evidenced by the awards and accolades it has received. I test drove every mid size SUV on the market and this engine compares favorably with the best of them.

By the way, the CX-9 did not lose driver seat height adjustment.

Be respectful? Respect was paid.

The 2016+ has LED high + low beam lights, LED fogs, I-ACTIVSENSE safety suit of tech (08-15 had nothing but BSM), better FE, better infotainment (still lacking in ways compared to competitors), 2nd row USB ports, HUD

I'm sorry, but 2016+ was not decontented. Yes, it's smaller inside, but overall offers more.

I agree with CrazyBiker you don't remove features from previous year model to add new ones and increase the price on top.

that was the whole point of the comment. he did say some features were lost in the new gen which is true.

name one other brand / model losing features existing in previous gen.

that's silly marketing and savings from mazda in my view. and as explained the lost features are an issue for me so CX-9 is not on my list anymore for my next car. unless they get added back in next MY.
but the space issue, hump in back seats etc point to wrong design / marketing decision

Last edited:
Back