CX5 Speed sign detection - over speed warning

matt_perth

:
CX5
The new speed sign detection in the CX5 is quite smart but in Australia we have some school speed limits that are 40 during school hours and 60 out of these hours. This is annoying as at night it provides a false warning - you can only have the warning at 5 KPH over (3 MPH) or 10 KPH (6MPH) over.

In Australia they are anal about speeding (they make many millions from it) and people are fines hundreds of dollars for less that walking speed 3 to 4 KPH (or 2 MPH) over the limit.

Just out of interest, the new CX5 in other countries, what can you set the warnings at?

The new speed sign detection in the CX5 is quite smart but in Australia we have some school speed limits that are 40 during school hours and 60 out of these hours. This is annoying as at night it provides a false warning - you can only have the warning at 5 KPH over (3 MPH) or 10 KPH (6MPH) over.

In Australia they are anal about speeding (they make many millions from it) and people are fines hundreds of dollars for less that walking speed 3 to 4 KPH (or 2 MPH) over the limit.

Just out of interest, the new CX5 in other countries, what can you set the warnings at?
I don't see any warning lights...I only see the posted speed limit...but no warnings of being over the speed limit.
879787d4c53cdad658eb3ecefd3981e4.jpg

Warning is displayed as a yellow outer square ring around the square speed icon in AD-Diaply.

So far, the detection has worked very well.
The only miss I ran into was when a stop sign was partly obscured by tree.

One problem I found annoying is that, the AD-Display does not work well with polarized sunglasses.
It becomes very dim and hard to see.
With the old-tech flip-up display, no problem....

Any solution other than not using polarized sunglasses?

0, +5, +10 MPH in USA. Gkdolla, go to settings, safety, traffic sign recognition system on the infotainment system to turn it on and set the warning level.

One problem I found annoying is that, the AD-Display does not work well with polarized sunglasses.

Have you turned up brightness (if this can be done at all) (scratch)

Mine usually picks up the stop signs OK but it would be too late to stop in time if I missed the sign itself and only noticed it on the HUD.

I set the brightness so that it's almost too dim with my polarized sunglasses on and almost too bright when Not wearing them.

Tried the brightest level.
When I removed the sunglasses, it was fine (very bright).

From the setting menu, you can select sound visual warning (the warning is a flashing colour around the speed sign but quite hard to notice) and visual and sound.

Polarised glasses is always a problem with Head up displays (HUD) (and some LCD panels), if you turn the glasses to a certain angle, it will almost cancel out the HUD. The manufacturers are suppose to polarise in the opposite direction so will only cancel out when you tilt your head but I find this is not the case..

Interesting 5 or 10 MPH in the States, that is much better. Would be interested people in Europe that are in KPH what they have.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what that stop sign notification is supposed to do for you because if you don't notice the sign, it's going to be too late by the time it pops up on the HUD.
Unless it is going to stop the vehicle if you miss the sign? I'll try it tomorrow,lol.

Then all you can do is either:

1. Find sunglasses that have less polorisation (if they even exist)
  2. Have a pair of non polorised sunglasses just for the CX-5

It might be a combination of the polarization plus how dark the lenses themselves are too. Mine must not be quite as dark as yours. Also mine are prescription but I don't think that would make a difference.

0, +5, +10 MPH in USA. Gkdolla, go to settings, safety, traffic sign recognition system on the infotainment system to turn it on and set the warning level.

I thought it was +5 or +10 MPH as well, but it is actually 5 or 10KM/H, or 3 or 6.2 MPH. I leave mine set at 6.2 and turn off the audio warning.

Warning activation timing
 0: If the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit sign displayed in the display, the
excessive speed warning is activated.  5: If the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit sign displayed in the display by 5 km/h
(3 mph), the excessive speed warning is activated.  10: If the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit sign displayed in the display by
10 km/h (6.2 mph), the excessive speed warning is activated.

In my 2010 Jeep, the NAV system simply told you the posted speed in the area, and you used common sense. It was live update, although school zones? You need to pay attention to the road and signs yourself, IMO.

I thought it was +5 or +10 MPH as well, but it is actually 5 or 10KM/H, or 3 or 6.2 MPH.
Really? That's odd, I just road tested mine again to make sure and it is +5 mph and +10 mph. The setting on the infotainment screen is labeled mph. Perhaps you got a Canadian model, eh? ;)

Really? That's odd, I just road tested mine again to make sure and it is +5 mph and +10 mph. The setting on the infotainment screen is labeled mph. Perhaps you got a Canadian model, eh? ;)

Maybe :) It seems we got stuck with their daytime running lights for some reason.

But, it does say in the US manual 3 and 6.2 MPH so who knows. I'll try mine tomorrow.

But, it does say in the US manual 3 and 6.2 MPH so who knows.
Hmm, you're right, my manual says that too. Must be a misprint. I agree with the OP, I prefer 5 and 10 mph. Actually I would call it 1, 6, and 11 instead of 0, 5, and 10 based on how it works, but that's just "splitting hairs" :).

Back