Rear seat belt lands across older kids necks! Help!

:
2020 CX5 GT Res
Hi! RE 2017 CX5 GT Prem. When my 6 & 8 year old grandsons (both very tall for their age) belted themselves in yesterday, both shoulder belts ended up across their upper necks which is not only dangerous, but uncomfortable. I didn't have the 6 year old's booster seat at the time, but that isn't going to help as thick cushions from the house under each child didn't resolve the issue at all. Now I fear there's no adjustment for lowering the shoulder belts. What do others do about this? (The 8 year old is the size of a 12 year old) This doesn't happen in our other cars which are sedans. Is there anything I can do? Tks!

Hi! RE 2017 CX5 GT Prem. When my 6 & 8 year old grandsons (both very tall for their age) belted themselves in yesterday, both shoulder belts ended up across their upper necks which is not only dangerous, but uncomfortable. I didn't have the 6 year old's booster seat at the time, but that isn't going to help as thick cushions from the house under each child didn't resolve the issue at all. Now I fear there's no adjustment for lowering the shoulder belts. What do others do about this? (The 8 year old is the size of a 12 year old) This doesn't happen in our other cars which are sedans. Is there anything I can do? Tks!

AFAIK the front passenger seat has adjustable belt height. But as for the back, all I can suggest is maybe get seat belt pads so as to protect their necks, something like this:

image.jpg

My 6 year old is a giant. Fits perfectly with his booster.

If their size requires it put them in properly sized booster seats before getting too concerned. Cushions will compress and not provide a proper judgement of fit.

Our nephew's booster seats work perfectly fine for them in our back seat. Their seats are for kids up to 100lbs and up to 57" tall

Last edited:
Yeah, in most states booster seats are required until kids are 57" tall. My mother in law almost needs a booster seat as she's 5'.

In a pinch, would putting the shoulder belt around back do the trick safely?
If they're that short, I'd think the lap belt would be sufficient.

LAW: Infants must remain rear-facing until they are a minimum of both 20 lbs and 1 year old. ... LAW: Children should ride in a car sear or booster until they reach 7 years old AND 60 pounds (they must meet both requirements). Children who ride in a booster seat must use a lap and shoulder belt

http://www.ctsafekids.org/child-passenger-safety/

It's 8 years old in Ohio unless child is 4' 9". Also:
Without a booster, the lap belt can ride up onto the stomach and cause hip, stomach and spinal cord injuries in a crash.**

Belt positioning booster seat..maybe their hugeness is not from the ass up? My 6.5 year old is still using them- probably another year. 6 year old should've gotten the 8 year old's booster if you only had 1 but whatever.. at min the 6 year old should still have something like this imo:

https://www.target.com/p/graco-174-...ch|related_prods_vv|adaptpdpexsrch|14061867|3
Please people! My fault for not being concise. I DO have 2 booster seats! The older sibling just can't fit into it as he's grown wide (obese) from taking steroids as part of his treatment for childhood leukemia. (he started thin when diagnosed but the steroids caused extreme weight gain & his treatment doesn't end until he's 10). This has been our new normal for past 2 yrs. (I'm grandma & just didn't have the booster seats the ONE time the boys rode in my new car) I still have my old car & will use that to transport them in the future. There are no booster/shoulder belt issues in that car so all is good! Tks!

Last edited:
LAW: Infants must remain rear-facing until they are a minimum of both 20 lbs and 1 year old. ... LAW: Children should ride in a car sear or booster until they reach 7 years old AND 60 pounds (they must meet both requirements). Children who ride in a booster seat must use a lap and shoulder belt

http://www.ctsafekids.org/child-passenger-safety/

I know all of this. I'm the grandmother and the one day my grandsons rode in my new car, their boosters seats were in the old car that their dad had borrowed from me. Murphy's Law...All is fine and I continue to use the old car when I have my grandsons...Tks!

Please people! My fault for not being concise. I DO have 2 booster seats! The older sibling just can't fit into it as he's grown wide (obese) from taking steroids as part of his treatment for childhood leukemia. (he started thin when diagnosed but the steroids caused extreme weight gain & his treatment doesn't end until he's 10). This has been our new normal for past 2 yrs. (I'm grandma & just didn't have the booster seats the ONE time the boys rode in my new car) I still have my old car & will use that to transport them in the future. There are no booster/shoulder belt issues in that car so all is good! Tks!

Hi Lynn- I'm sorry to hear that about your grandson and sorry if I came off as judgy but I think both my answers were correct- smaller child should have had booster (even that one time) and if you're having issues with shoulder belt height- the highback booster with belt positioner is the solution- rather than a simple booster base seat. If width is an issue you could probably get a memory foam pad to just give him a bit of a lift to raise the shoulder height.

Back