2007 CX-9 Easy Repair went horribly wrong

ripper225

:
Mazda CX-9 2007/Touring/V6
Newly registered here but have been a lurker for a number of years off and on soaking up some of the great knowledge here for minor maintenance/repair to my CX-9. Ran into an issue that I need some specific advise on and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

So, my 2007 CX-9 had a small coolant leak. I discovered that the coolant reserve tank cap wasn't sealing properly and replaced the tank/cap along with the coolant reserve tank hose (as it appeared to show signs of slight leak where it joined up at the radiator... This easy repair went horribly wrong as after replacing the reservoir I went to replace the hose and when removing the old one I snapped the this part of the hose nipple off the top of the radiator (it had somehow melded and become one with the hose). i realize the plastic is old and has become brittle but I picked up the below repair kit to try this before doing a whole radiator. But for the life of me I can't find a way to get to the back side of this piece to actually fit the patch part in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Would a threaded brass barb work? I'm thinking of threading that in to what's left of the nipple and attaching the reserve tank hose to that but not sure how well that would hold up to pressure or even what size would be best.

Maybe this?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I've been taking the front end of this thing apart and as parts are piling up on the garage floor I am starting to think that I'm in over my head and may be better off just biting the bullet and having it towed to a shop to do the whole radiator.

Any advice, insight, suggestions or alternative approach would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Bummer, I once did that to the large pipe where the top hose connects to. Ended up replacing the radiator - it was my first radiator job too, and I had to park the car for a few days. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123837214-Replacing-the-radiator-for-CX9-07&p=6256123&viewfull=1#post6256123

No experience with the repair kit, but I think it may not work on our cars. In CX-9 the overflow tank is pressurized, while on some(most?) other cars, like my Subaru, it's not.

Check out this link link, it shows the piece being installed in a 'regular' car where the radiator cap opens up under pressure and lets extra coolant flow into the overflow tank. Your case is different.

Obviously the best thing to do would be to replace the radiator, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a brass barb fitting like the ones you have linked to, btw you can also get those any pretty much any hardware store like Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace....

Any advice, insight, suggestions or alternative approach would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Having replaced a crappy, leaking plastic radiator in a 7-series BMW, I can empathize.

The best course is to just order a new radiator and have at it once you've glanced at the service manual to see if you're up to it. Any fix is likely to fail on you at exactly the wrong moment and I would not want to be constantly worried about it.

To me, it doesn't look like that bad a job, but then I am willing to dive in when better minds write checks.

Asking your mechanic/stealer for an estimate may push you one way or another.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Sorry to hear about your woes. Hope it turns out well. I'll have to take a peek at my 08, but thanks to this post, I will need to watch out that I don't break the radiator.

Back