Water pump replacement headache. (alternator removal problems) (2011 Mazda 2)

jinker

:
2011 Mazda 2
Noise from something on the accessory belt. Replaced the tensioner, no dice, still sounds like a failing bearing. Got a replacement water pump as it was the other noise candidate and tried to do the replacement.

Have to remove the alternator to get the water pump out. Took two bolts off the alternator, short one to the block near the engine mount, and the longer lower one that goes through the alternator housing, through an ear/fork on the water pump, through a tab on the block and then threads into the bottom of the alternator.

With the alternator all disconnected, and both bolts out, I cannot get it out. It still seems to pivot about the axis where the long bolt at the bottom was. Almost as if the two tabs on each side of the alternator are pinching the engine block and tab on the water pump enough that you can't pull it loose.

I tried using all sorts of persuasion, lengths of wood with a strap around the alternator, wiggling, bloody knuckles, no luck.

To top it all off, the alternator has moved enough that I couldn't get the long lower bolt back in again to button it all back up.

Am I missing something obvious?

I'm probably going to throw up my hands tomorrow and drive to the mechanic's without a serpentine installed, and a bunch of parts in the passenger seat. Yeah, I'm that guy now. Mechanics love me.

That's what happens with those pinch type bushings in those alternators. Need to pry it off and/or wiggle it back and forth. Use a ~2ft pry bar or giant screwdriver to pry between the alternator and engine block.

Before you reinstall you need to push the bushing in the alternator outwards some to make it easier to realign.

Back