Help! Bumped into another car's rear in a parking lot. How much is a fair price for r

:
CX-5
Hello. I don't know if this is the right thread or not but I'm in need of help.

I was parking in a supermarket mall and accidentally bumped into the rear of a parked car while backing out. My car, a cx-5 only sustained a small scratch. It was my fault and I waited till the person came back to exchange insurance information. From the outside it looked like it is a small dent. I asked if he could get a repair quote from a body shop before going through insurance. However, I want to ensure that I pay fair compensation seeing as how the mark I made is barely noticeable. The current estimate the driver has provided me with has the cost at $703.65. I wanted to know if this was a fair price for the repair? Or should I go through insurance? As a student paying out of pocket it is quiet a hefty amount. I'm under my parents insurance and they have never got into an accident so they don't really know the procedure of what to do. Thank you for the help!
http://imgur.com/GFZr0q4 (car pic) http://imgur.com/BszmF76 (car pic) http://imgur.com/bKDGrZf (quote estimate)

Last edited:
Couple year ago, I was hit bring the rear, my bumper was dent and need to be repaired, but the insurance company give me only 500 check...
It kind of little bit pricey

It's quoted as an insurance deal so it's likely inflated. Magically the price often goes down at those shops if you're paying cash. That does seem excessive though, but I think you'll have a hard time getting the other people to negotiate about it so it comes down to this cost vs. any insurance increase resulting from it.

That sounds about right considering it's a new explorer that got hit. Parts and labor isn't cheap...
Looks like they're just replacing it completely and not just repair. So they have to take all the components off.

Goto looks and appearance section and see my thread. They repainted and fixed a section. I paid 700. I cannot see the other guys car.

If you pay outside insurance. And he claims insurance later its double whammy.

From what I saw paint didn't come off. And it is still going to cost this much?

He gets to choose where he gets it fixed. If it goes through your insurance, they will pay the $700. Well, you'll pay $500 and they'll pay $200 and your rates will go up.

Considering some places charge that much to do a brake job on one axle, the $700 isn't a surprise.

I think your only angle for hoping the other party will try to get it fixed for less is to offer what they're asking but plead starving student and ask them to try and help you out and try to get a lower quote. If you get indignant, I don't see it ending well.

First of all - if your insurance rates go up due to a 700 dollar claim - start looking elsewhere and stay away from the ghetto king insurance.
I can almost bet he wont get it fixed - it is so small. also I can bet there are 10 shops in your city willing to fix it and fix it well under $200. But as others said - this is not exorbitant. That would be a new bumper costing 2000 and medical payments to the chiropractor because he injured his neck bending to look at the damage.

" It was my fault and I waited till the person came back to exchange insurance information."

Good for you. Right thing to do. Hopefully the other party will try to accommodate, but they might not. I'm impressed by your integrity, which is far more valuable than the cost of the damage. All the best to you.

" It was my fault and I waited till the person came back to exchange insurance information."

Good for you. Right thing to do. Hopefully the other party will try to accommodate, but they might not. I'm impressed by your integrity, which is far more valuable than the cost of the damage. All the best to you.
Agreed and all the best to OP too!

The price seems going-rate, and the repair seems sensible. This is about what this will cost, book-value, annoyingly.

I had a girl hit my car once, and I gave her 2 months to pay me $500 (body shop quoted $800ish, IIRC), or I would turn it over to insurance. She declined by the end of month #1, and I turned it over.

I agree! Good luck with the other party.

If you were on your own policy, I'd say switch to a company that offers accident forgiveness, and then just take your mulligan. Since it's your parents that are also on the line here...have you taken it up with them? Maybe their policy will allow a mulligan and they will be okay with you taking it, but maybe not. Explore all avenues.

Back