Scbs wow..!!

:
2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG
We had th SCBS engaged for the first time.. I had wondered how it would work..

We were in traffic speeding at the blistering speed of approx. 10-12 MPH in the center lane of three lanes across. We were about 8-10 feet behind the next car in front of us, when a motorcycle whom I think was lane splitting ( not sure if it's even legal where I live) came by on my right side and turned sharp cutting inbetween us and the car we were following.. The SCBS engaged and the front end shuttered as the breaks engaged while the beeping started, the right instrument cluster was in red stating the SCBS had engaged...

So glad it worked, so glad the motorcycle didn't get hit, however not quite the way I had envisioned I wanted to "test" the SCBS...

Last edited:
Now you know what to expect in the future should such a thing happen again!

Mine has it in reverse too. I was backing into a space to turn round one day when another car started topper to try and block my exit. As I was watching him, I got close to a low wall behind me and without that SCBS reverse, I would have hit it. It made me jump because the ABS pump cranks up and the brake servo makes a hell of a noise but that was certainly a “wow” moment.

Mine has it in reverse too. I was backing into a space to turn round one day when another car started topper to try and block my exit. As I was watching him, I got close to a low wall behind me and without that SCBS reverse, I would have hit it. It made me jump because the ABS pump cranks up and the brake servo makes a hell of a noise but that was certainly a “wow” moment.

I've experienced it in reverse too. Grabs the brakes pretty strongly!

learn something new every day, didn't realize it worked in reverse as well.
hoping to never need or experience it but glad to know it's working as intended.

Looks like we are ahead of you guys on this (wink)

You have to excuse our priorities here in States. We want a high Double Big Gulp Cup* holder count and CVTs.

(*Those are 1.5l cups my metric friends :0)

You have to excuse our priorities here in States. We want a high Double Big Gulp Cup* holder count and CVTs.

(*Those are 1.5l cups my metric friends :0)

And those double big gulps are of course both for one person. (lol2)

'Merica

Never had operate on either cx-5, and my latest one doesn't have it in reverse, in fact I'm not sure it will work if I need it.

Went on my first interstate drive and had it in cruise. I was impressed in the way that it slowed down the car and sped it up as required.

Combined with the lane departure feature that kicks the wheel back, it almost drives itself.

One amusing feature, when you remove your hands from the wheel entirely, in the HUD, in large text is "Please keep your hands on the wheel" or something to that effect.

Went on my first interstate drive and had it in cruise. I was impressed in the way that it slowed down the car and sped it up as required.

Combined with the lane departure feature that kicks the wheel back, it almost drives itself.

One amusing feature, when you remove your hands from the wheel entirely, in the HUD, in large text is "Please keep your hands on the wheel" or something to that effect.

Does the lane departure system actually steer, or just rumble?

That's Mazda's disclaimer working right there!

Does the lane departure system actually steer, or just rumble?

These are really two systems: the lane departure warning, and lane keep assist, but the answer to your question is both.

LDWS(Lane Departure Warning System)
The Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) detects line marking on the road surface and warns the driver of unintentional lane departures.
This system is particularly effective in situations where the road is continuously straight and drivers have a tendency to not pay sufficient attention to the road. The system alerts the driver by activating a lane departure warning sound, vibrating the steering wheel, and indicating an alert in the display.
When the lane change is accompanied by turn signal operation or acceleration, the system recognizes the maneuver as intentional and does not sound an alarm.

LAS(Lane Keep Assist System)
Mazdas Lane-Keep Assist System (LAS) promotes safer driving by providing appropriate steering assistance. The forward sensing camera detects the white or yellow lines of the vehicle lane in which the vehicle is traveling and if the system determines that the vehicle may deviate from its lane, it operates the electric power steering to assist the driver's steering operation . LAS uses a windshield-mounted camera to recognize lane-markings on the road and activates at speeds above 37 MPH.

These are really two systems: the lane departure warning, and lane keep assist, but the answer to your question is both.

LDWS(Lane Departure Warning System)
The Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) detects line marking on the road surface and warns the driver of unintentional lane departures.
This system is particularly effective in situations where the road is continuously straight and drivers have a tendency to not pay sufficient attention to the road. The system alerts the driver by activating a lane departure warning sound, vibrating the steering wheel, and indicating an alert in the display.
When the lane change is accompanied by turn signal operation or acceleration, the system recognizes the maneuver as intentional and does not sound an alarm.

LAS(Lane Keep Assist System)
Mazda’s Lane-Keep Assist System (LAS) promotes safer driving by providing appropriate steering assistance. The forward sensing camera detects the white or yellow lines of the vehicle lane in which the vehicle is traveling and if the system determines that the vehicle may deviate from its lane, it operates the electric power steering to assist the driver's steering operation . LAS uses a windshield-mounted camera to recognize lane-markings on the road and activates at speeds above 37 MPH.

Can you overpower the assist if you decide it is safer to depart the lane, or for whatever other reason? I assume if you turn your signal on, it doesn't fight you.

Where I live the lines are often drawn sloppily after construction. It will be interesting to see how the CX5 handles it, assuming the diesel ever comes out.

Yes, you can easily overpower it, if say for instance you forgot to use your blinker. If your signal is on it won't activate at all.

The Lane Keep Assist took a little while for me to get used to, because I could actually feel the slight corrections it was making for me while I was driving straight and it was a different feeling from my previous CX5. But now, I don't even notice it, and I assume I'm staying in the dead center of the lines much more often.(wiggle)
I see a lot of people in my everyday driving who could really use this feature. Usually looking at their phones.

Back