2016.5 demanding oil change at terrible time

Actually with "Fixed" oil change interval, it's Schedule 1 - 7,500-mile or 6-month whichever comes first for normal driving conditions, and Schedule 2 - 5,000-mile or 4-month whichever comes first for severe driving conditions. But with "Flexible" oil change interval it can be applied to both conditions as the on-board computer will figure out your driving conditions. Many CX-5 owners drive less miles and changing oil once for every 4 or 6 months is too often and wasteful. "Flexible" OCI comes in handy for changing oil up to once a year and they can preserve the warranty by using "Flexible" OCI with longer OCI than 4 or 6 months.

I think that the oil change brain washing is working very well for dealers and independent garages.
With conventional oil, they said 3000 miles or 3 months.
Now with the synthetic ones going for 5-6-7.5 k the time in between changes doubled and off course the revenue for dealers and garages got cut since people do not take it often to do oil changes and they will do/say anything to get that lost revenue back.
Drive with confidence that putting another 500 miles or even a 1k will not do any harm to the engine.
I hope you enjoyed you experience with the eclipse. [emoji3]

The manual has two service intervals based on severity - 5000 mi and 7500 mi for the oil change. Dealers go for 5000 mi as it equates with the tire rotation (mostly related to AWD I suspect). I decided to use the OCI and do the tire rotation and oil change at around 6000mi. The OCI will preserve my warranty as the oil change monitor will go beyond 6000 mi.

Reading the oil analysis reports of others in the Engine threads it appears 8k miles could be had using Mobil-1 and Pennzoil Platinum oils. 8k miles is a conservative number for them it appears. Shoot Seminole I believe had 11,000k recommendation on his oil analysis and he's using dealer Castrol 0w20.

I may have to submit an oil analysis myself considering everyone's engine and environment is different.

Reading the oil analysis reports of others in the Engine threads it appears 8k miles could be had using Mobil-1 and Pennzoil Platinum oils. 8k miles is a conservative number for them it appears. Shoot Seminole I believe had 11,000k recommendation on his oil analysis and he's using dealer Castrol 0w20.

I may have to submit an oil analysis myself considering everyone's engine and environment is different.

I do fixed 5k right now because my commute to work is not enough during the winter to even make the blue light go off. When I move, though, I will have a 35 minute commute, and this will cause me to extend my service intervals to 7500mi. It is my opinion that silica intrusion and fuel dilution are the biggest issues for these vehicles. Sure, you can say no silica intrusion should happen, but sometimes the filter seal may not be flawless or whatever. Point being, I'd be happier sticking with 7500 rather than looking for the ragged edge of when the TBN is depleted because of many other factors. Not the least of which being tire rotation. I'm OCD about my tires. I've become nutty about tires, ever since my "incident" in my 370Z with brand new (5k mile old, never spun) Potenzas.

I do fixed 5k right now because my commute to work is not enough during the winter to even make the blue light go off. When I move, though, I will have a 35 minute commute, and this will cause me to extend my service intervals to 7500mi. It is my opinion that silica intrusion and fuel dilution are the biggest issues for these vehicles. Sure, you can say no silica intrusion should happen, but sometimes the filter seal may not be flawless or whatever. Point being, I'd be happier sticking with 7500 rather than looking for the ragged edge of when the TBN is depleted because of many other factors. Not the least of which being tire rotation. I'm OCD about my tires. I've become nutty about tires, ever since my "incident" in my 370Z with brand new (5k mile old, never spun) Potenzas.

I'm doing 6k right now and my moderate city commute is 22 miles one way. I don't mind paying extra to over maintain our cars. I think good oils should have plenty of additive and protective properties through 8k miles...even in extreme conditions. I find 6k miles as a sweet spot oil change and tire rotation at the same time. I've got Potenzas on my mazda6. 7k miles on them so far. Then again front/rears are the same size so easy to rotate.

Thanks everybody. I did get home from eclipse-watching late last night --- what was a 6-hour drive south turned into a 12+ hour drive home due to eclipse traffic! The oil level is fine and the car runs fine, and I've scheduled an oil change for the earliest they can do it, which is a week from now.

Back