2016.5 demanding oil change at terrible time

Laurel

:
2016.5 CX-5 Touring
Hey, all. I drove from SW Ohio to Paducah, KY, last night to do eclipse things with family, and 90 miles out of Paducah, the "change oil" light came on. Car has 11,100 miles and had its first oil change at 6500 miles, so is due for one at 11,300. Because of the eclipse, I don't know how it might be to get into the dealership in KY tomorrow, and I have to be back at work on Tuesday.

Should I get a synthetic oil change at a JiffyLube type place tomorrow, try to get to the dealership here, which may not be a workable option, or am I okay driving the 370 miles back home? Oil is at a fine level and looks okay. What would you do here? Does it void my warranty to drive slightly behind the recommended 300 miles since the light came on?

I'm about 30 miles from the dealership have a full schedule tomorrow, so going to the dealership in Paducah is the least attractive option for me..... but what would you do?

TIA.

Stop wo. You're fine. Do it when you get home. You won't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Hey, all. I drove from SW Ohio to Paducah, KY, last night to do eclipse things with family, and 90 miles out of Paducah, the "change oil" light came on. Car has 11,100 miles and had its first oil change at 6500 miles, so is due for one at 11,300. Because of the eclipse, I don't know how it might be to get into the dealership in KY tomorrow, and I have to be back at work on Tuesday.

Should I get a synthetic oil change at a JiffyLube type place tomorrow, try to get to the dealership here, which may not be a workable option, or am I okay driving the 370 miles back home? Oil is at a fine level and looks okay. What would you do here? Does it void my warranty to drive slightly behind the recommended 300 miles since the light came on?

I'm about 30 miles from the dealership have a full schedule tomorrow, so going to the dealership in Paducah is the least attractive option for me..... but what would you do?

TIA.

don't worry! you're fine to keep driving for another little while.

don't go to those jiffylube places. if you are going to get your oil done elsewhere, at least take it to a shop that uses 5w30 oil

⋯ the "change oil" light came on. Car has 11,100 miles and had its first oil change at 6500 miles, so is due for one at 11,300. ⋯ what would you do?
You changed the first oil at 6,500 miles, now 4,600 miles later the "Oil change due" message is displayed. You can keep driving almost a couple thousands of more miles with no worries! The oil change message is caused by your dealer who didn't reset the oil change interval properly. Apparently they used the default of fixed 5,000 miles on oil change interval in Maintenance Monitor app found in your infotainment system.

Next time right after the oil change, either ask your dealer to reset the oil change interval to "Flexible" instead of "Fixed" 5,000 miles, or you can do it by yourself. Make sure setting your OCI in Maintenance Monitor app
with power on but engine is not running.

By using "Flexible" OCI you're turning on the oil life monitor and the OCI can be UP to 10,000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first for 2016(.5) CX-5. The on-board computer will do oil life calculation with your driving conditions based on recommended oil, and display the "Oil change due" message when necessary. You can change oil earlier than the oil life percentage going down to 5~10%, and make sure to ask for better and recommended genuine Mazda moly oil for oil change and pay $10 extra at your Mazda dealer.

You really trust that, Yrwei? I've always been leery.
"Flexible" OCI is nothing new for other regions and has been available for many years. My 2000 BMW 528i has it and I use it at least as a reference for what time or how many miles for changing the oil. For our 2016 Mazda CX-5 as my wife's daily driver it consistently falls at about 30% oil life left for 5,000~6,000 miles of oil usage. And that's the time for me to change the oil with Mazda moly.

Some vehicles have real parameters that actually measure oil contamination. The cx5 just takes a flying swing based on mileage, engine temp, etc. Without looking at oil.
By adding more driving parameters into the OCI calculation, no matter how unsophisticated it is, it is still much better than using a fixed OCI! :)

"Flexible" OCI is nothing new for other regions and has been available for many years. My 2000 BMW 528i has it and I use it at least as a reference for what time or how many miles for changing the oil. For our 2016 Mazda CX-5 as my wife's daily driver it consistently falls at about 30% oil life left for 5,000~6,000 miles of oil usage. And that's the time for me to change the oil with Mazda moly.

5000-6000 Miles is like when you should ideally change your oil, thats good!

I dony follow my BMWs OCI whatsoever. It tells me to change oil every 25,000KM, no thank you!

Some vehicles have real parameters that actually measure oil contamination. The cx5 just takes a flying swing based on mileage, engine temp, etc. Without looking at oil.

And it does a pretty good job at it. Better then BMW telling you to come in for a service every 15k...

By adding more driving parameters into the OCI calculation, no matter how unsophisticated it is, it is still much better than using a fixed OCI! :)

Nothing wrong with using a reasonably fixed OCI like every 5000miles. Checking your oil will give you a pretty decent estimate too.

Most oils shear down a grade and are practically like water closer to 5000 Miles. The only oils I would trust past that mileage (still provides engine protection even if oil is contaminated) is top notch stuff like motul, liqui moly, AMSoil and shell rotella. And Im talking about proper 5w30/5w40 oil here, 0w20 is far worse With long term protection.

5000-6000 Miles is like when you should ideally change your oil, that’s good!

I dony follow my BMW’s OCI whatsoever. It tells me to change oil every 25,000KM, no thank you!

And it does a pretty good job at it. Better then BMW telling you to come in for a service every 15k...

Nothing wrong with using a reasonably fixed OCI like every 5000miles. Checking your oil will give you a pretty decent estimate too.

Most oils shear down a grade and are practically like water closer to 5000 Miles. The only oils I would trust past that mileage (still provides engine protection even if oil is contaminated) is top notch stuff like motul, liqui moly, AMSoil and shell rotella. And I’m talking about proper 5w30/5w40 oil here, 0w20 is far worse With long term protection.

The facts do not support your conjecture regarding 0-20 oil at 5k.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u...73/2016_OUTBACK_FB25_0W20_PP_6K_O#Post4480773

I ended up turning off the "flexible" feature in my Mazda3 due to its telling me to change oil way earlier than was at all reasonable.

I ended up turning off the "flexible" feature in my Mazda3 due to its telling me to change oil way earlier than was at all reasonable.

At what % oil life remaining did you get the notice to change oil?

Flexible Oil Change Interval

I had similar problem that the "Oil change due" message came up too soon with oil life still at 50%. Turned out there's a TSB and the PCM in your Mazda3 needs to get updated at your Mazda dealer because of improper control logic of the PCM software

Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Does Not Work 2014-2016 Mazda

I think that the oil change brain washing is working very well for dealers and independent garages.
With conventional oil, they said 3000 miles or 3 months.
Now with the synthetic ones going for 5-6-7.5 k the time in between changes doubled and off course the revenue for dealers and garages got cut since people do not take it often to do oil changes and they will do/say anything to get that lost revenue back.
Drive with confidence that putting another 500 miles or even a 1k will not do any harm to the engine.
I hope you enjoyed you experience with the eclipse. [emoji3]

The manual has two service intervals based on severity - 5000 mi and 7500 mi for the oil change. Dealers go for 5000 mi as it equates with the tire rotation (mostly related to AWD I suspect). I decided to use the OCI and do the tire rotation and oil change at around 6000mi. The OCI will preserve my warranty as the oil change monitor will go beyond 6000 mi.

Flexible Oil Change Interval

The manual has two service intervals based on severity - 5000 mi and 7500 mi for the oil change. Dealers go for 5000 mi as it equates with the tire rotation (mostly related to AWD I suspect). I decided to use the OCI and do the tire rotation and oil change at around 6000mi. The OCI will preserve my warranty as the oil change monitor will go beyond 6000 mi.
Actually with "Fixed" oil change interval, it's Schedule 1 - 7,500-mile or 6-month whichever comes first for normal driving conditions, and Schedule 2 - 5,000-mile or 4-month whichever comes first for severe driving conditions. But with "Flexible" oil change interval it can be applied to both conditions as the on-board computer will figure out your driving conditions. Many CX-5 owners drive less miles and changing oil once for every 4 or 6 months is too often and wasteful. "Flexible" OCI comes in handy for changing oil up to once a year and they can preserve the warranty by using "Flexible" OCI with longer OCI than 4 or 6 months.

Back