Hows the 2.5T?

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
Hows the 2.5T?

Can anyone comment on this engine? How you guys liking it?

How does the engine behave on a day to day basis? Is it reliable and enough power?

Can anyone comment on this engine? How you guys liking it?

How does the engine behave on a day to day basis? Is it reliable and enough power?

For my daily use I'd say it's pretty adequate and engine can definitely carry the vehicle contrary to others' beliefs based from paper that the 4cyl engine despite turbo isn't sufficient for its size. Mazda tuned the engine for daily real world use and not 0-60 times nor for heavy towing (most people rev bet 2-4K RPM). If you push the engine it gets going because of the 310 lb ft torque but HP tapers off past 4K RPM in my experience. If there's anything good about it though when comparing to my previous vehicle (Volvo 3.0L T I-6) is the better fuel economy on the CX9. I wasn't worried about the 2.5T engine when I was doing my research and test drives with the 9 prior to purchasing it.

Can't speak yet about reliability as I've only had the CX9 for 7 months but so far after my first oil change no issues found.

For my daily use I'd say it's pretty adequate and engine can definitely carry the vehicle contrary to others' beliefs based from paper that the 4cyl engine despite turbo isn't sufficient for its size. Mazda tuned the engine for daily real world use and not 0-60 times nor for heavy towing (most people rev bet 2-4K RPM). If you push the engine it gets going because of the 310 lb ft torque but HP tapers off past 4K RPM in my experience. If there's anything good about it though when comparing to my previous vehicle (Volvo 3.0L T I-6) is the better fuel economy on the CX9. I wasn't worried about the 2.5T engine when I was doing my research and test drives with the 9 prior to purchasing it.

Can't speak yet about reliability as I've only had the CX9 for 7 months but so far after my first oil change no issues found.

Your post sounds scary similar to a write up I made about mazdas engines on another posts 100% agree with what you said.

How does the engine sound? Can anyone comment On reliability?

Your post sounds scary similar to a write up I made about mazdas engines on another posts 100% agree with what you said.

How does the engine sound? Can anyone comment On reliability?

sounds typical of a 4-banger especially when pushed hard...unlike the V6's where these sound more refined and solid. Not an issue though if you can live with it.

Mine is doing fine. Plenty of power. The transmission mode switch to Sport Mode gives the transmission higher rpm shift points for more giddy-up when wanted. I'm pleased with this engine. According to the display, I'm getting 26 - 28 mpg on the highway.

Plenty of power for realistic driving in an SUV. My other cars are a 2014 rrs, a 535d, 2016 prius, a tow rig, and 2 900hp+ cars. I have never felt like the power in the cx9 is inadequate. I've also never believed in a "fast" suv, owned a srt8 jeep for a while and it was a stupid, spur of the moment decision.

I'm not sure what people are complaining about when they say the cx9 doesn't have enough power, enough power for what?? The handling for a car this size is unbelievable- I often find myself with a huge grin on my face when driving on a twisty road.

Although I installed a tow hitch, I wouldn't tow with it- but that was obvious when I purchased the car. It's too early to comment on reliability, and yes; the car gets loud if you floor it- it's an inline 4.

Last edited:
Feels much like a diesel. And without some of the downsides of a diesel. Gobs of low rpm power. Well matched for what this type of vehicle has to do IMO. Opposite power band of some of the other stuff I have driven where its all top end and it makes you wait for it. Refreshing in that way.

I love the sounds it makes. I wish it were louder! From bikes to cars I've always loved inline 4's, so the lack of smoothness compared to a 6 or 8 doesn't bother me one bit. I'll take my 20+ mpg to the bank and enjoy that supercharger-ish whine it makes. I grew up watching 1.6 liter cars make 600hp so the fact that this motor is *only* 2.5 liters isn't stigmatic for me like it may be for others.

Trans keeps you where you need to be, 300 torque, super responsive... I'm satisfied so far.

The engine is great for daily driving in the city , it is designed to give you what its needed for the daily driver, the torque at low revs is the magic of this engine, power is there whenever needed and its impressive how it builds speed with out u even noticing. yes I miss a bit the sound of my old v6 and this one sounds like a blender... but I got to say its a great engine.
on the other hand I have also noticed how well behaved it is in the highway and how the low end torque can take u to high speeds with out even u noticing. the 132 mph top speed is reached with ease and really fast for an suv this size which is notghing less than impressive. and wait when u go to high altitude roads. a month ago I was driving acorss the andes where we reached altitudes of around 16k feet, believe me this is where this engine excels, no other non turbo engine suv was a match for this one, no matter how powerful it was.
in conclusion, great every day engine, smooth delivery of power , encredibly torquey and stressless , the engine sound is a downside, mpg is good and highway efficiency amazing.
8 out of 10 for me .

The engine is great for daily driving in the city , it is designed to give you what its needed for the daily driver, the torque at low revs is the magic of this engine, power is there whenever needed and its impressive how it builds speed with out u even noticing. yes I miss a bit the sound of my old v6 and this one sounds like a blender... but I got to say its a great engine.
on the other hand I have also noticed how well behaved it is in the highway and how the low end torque can take u to high speeds with out even u noticing. the 132 mph top speed is reached with ease and really fast for an suv this size which is notghing less than impressive. and wait when u go to high altitude roads. a month ago I was driving acorss the andes where we reached altitudes of around 16k feet, believe me this is where this engine excels, no other non turbo engine suv was a match for this one, no matter how powerful it was.
in conclusion, great every day engine, smooth delivery of power , encredibly torquey and stressless , the engine sound is a downside, mpg is good and highway efficiency amazing.
8 out of 10 for me .

Great write-up, thank you. Im very much looking forward to seeing this engine be introduced in the next Mazda 6.

We have essentially the same engine but naturally aspirated in our 2015 model, and I find the engine to be very refined and it makes a wonderful throaty sound for a 4 cylinder. Its a little thrashy and loud at high RPM due to the long stroke design, but it still makes a great sound and is plenty refined for a 4 cylinder. I have no complaints because the 4 cylinder is excellent.

The 17's have enough power. No worries there. I drive mine on interstates daily, and it has all the power I need. I put it in Sport mode a couple times just to try it, but its not needed.

We've had our CX-9 for just over a year, bought it last July. About 12K on it now. Honestly. The engine was one of the reasons my wife liked it(as did I). 70% of her driving is city, and we live in a area that is very hilly, so not a lot of flat roads. With the exception of the 3.5 twin turbo Explorer, the CX-9 felt much more relaxed to drive. All of the non-turbo V6 offering..while great engines, really need more shifting to keep them in their torque curve. Where you really feel the difference(in a good way) with this engine is when you are driving on those hilly roads or on the highway driving up an incline. You just don't need much gas to keep your speed, the torque pulls you up the hill with no drama. Every NA motor will be hunting for lower gears and/or you will be laying your foot into it to keep your speed. Drive 75 and want to pass someone. Same thing. There is very little effort needed, you are in a sweat spot with this motor cruising 75. I'll take this engine and transmission combo over any other 3 row SUV with a naturally aspirated motor. The sound. For a 4 cylinder I actually like it. Under heavy throttle I'd call it a little grainy, but I like the tone of its 'grain' much better than any other 4 cylinder found elsewhere. It's a 'hint' sporty in a pissed off kind of way. It's not bad.

First off, it's a quiet engine until you stomp on it. Mazda did a good job with sound proofing the engine. Around town, there's plenty of power, sometimes more than I need since I do feel torque steer alot. On highway, there is plenty of power for passing and cruising - at times, I don't realize I'm at 80 and need to back off the pedal.

Interestingly, if you floor it from a dead stop, you feel the rush of power and speed - but it levels out once you hit 40-50 MPH - and then cruises. It's a confident acceleration, but not breath taking - if this makes sense...

First off, it's a quiet engine until you stomp on it. Mazda did a good job with sound proofing the engine. Around town, there's plenty of power, sometimes more than I need since I do feel torque steer alot. On highway, there is plenty of power for passing and cruising - at times, I don't realize I'm at 80 and need to back off the pedal.

Interestingly, if you floor it from a dead stop, you feel the rush of power and speed - but it levels out once you hit 40-50 MPH - and then cruises. It's a confident acceleration, but not breath taking - if this makes sense...

Agree with this 100%- don't worry, the aftermarket tunes are coming...

Back