2017~2024 Dashboard rattle

I found a perfect size piece of foam that I gently squash my sunglasses holder shut to just nip the sunglasses.

I have been having a similar issue with my 2016 - ever since a windshield replacement this summer. I made sure to take out the glasses from the compartment and have nothing but paper in the glove box. Have been to two different dealers and neither of them have been able to find the cause of the issue. Its driving me nuts. I had zero issues with my 2014 but this 2016 has two universal joints, one wheel bearing and the entire transmission changed already. Plus this rattle.

https://youtu.be/j2cmDPAdzrM
https://youtu.be/ZZXZzDP8n4c

I have been having a similar issue with my 2016 - ever since a windshield replacement this summer. I made sure to take out the glasses from the compartment and have nothing but paper in the glove box. Have been to two different dealers and neither of them have been able to find the cause of the issue. Its driving me nuts. I had zero issues with my 2014 but this 2016 has two universal joints, one wheel bearing and the entire transmission changed already. Plus this rattle.

https://youtu.be/j2cmDPAdzrM
https://youtu.be/ZZXZzDP8n4c
Since you said the rattle started right after windshield replacement (another!), its possible the windshield installer screwed up the sensor mounting clips come with the windshield if your CX-5 is a GT? Ive seen people reported a national-chain windshield installer put non-GT windshield for his CX-5 GT, and taped those sensors on the glass. The rattle certainly is inevitable. Also any loose parts rattling in ceiling area seems to transmit into dash area, hence its hard to find the source of the rattle sometimes. The sun visor, and sun-glasses holder rattles all seem to be coming from the dash.

Sorry to hear your misfortune on your 2016 CX-5. My confidence on longevity of my 2016 CX-5 is falling another giant step when the driver sun visor fell off on the other day!

Since you said the rattle started right after windshield replacement (another!), its possible the windshield installer screwed up the sensor mounting clips come with the windshield if your CX-5 is a GT? Ive seen people reported a national-chain windshield installer put non-GT windshield for his CX-5 GT, and taped those sensors on the glass. The rattle certainly is inevitable. Also any loose parts rattling in ceiling area seems to transmit into dash area, hence its hard to find the source of the rattle sometimes. The sun visor, and sun-glasses holder rattles all seem to be coming from the dash.

Sorry to hear your misfortune on your 2016 CX-5. My confidence on longevity of my 2016 CX-5 is falling another giant step when the driver sun visor fell off on the other day!

Thanks for the reply. No, I do not have a GT. Last dealer found a loose clip on a ventilation duct under the dash and the remote starter cable was loose. He fixed both of those problems but it hasn't fixed that particular noise. Found a post on a different Mazda forum where a guy had his CX-5 at a dealer for like 6 weeks. Heres the outcome:

Got my CX-5 back!

After almost 6 weeks, and two dealers, Mazda found what was causing the clicking sound. It required having a Mazda engineer visit the dealer, and also working with other Mazda engineers. Seems the answer came from an engineer in Texas.

At the base of the windshield, there's a strip of metal, and apparently dirt had gotten in between that piece of metal and the metal it was attached to. How dirt got there is the big question. Pry it away from where it's attached, blow out the dirt, and the problem resolved. I believe they may have put some foam in there to prevent it from happening again. The sound from that area, which was located at about the middle of the windshield base, was traveling to the drivers side column/corner of the dashboard. That's what made it so hard to find.

I've been told a TSB is to be released based on this problem and the solution. Apparently, I'm the first to have this issue, and hopefully it'll save others.

Right now, driving for the next two or three weeks will be a test to make sure the noise is truly gone. Only time will tell, but no clicking sound at all now. Fingers crossed.

Kudos to Ray at Mazda of Milford (CT) for his relentless pursuit in resolving this issue.

Fix your visor. If the dealer has no clear idea like a screw hole shim then use Loctite to set your screw. See if that will help.

Fix your visor. If the dealer has no clear idea like a screw hole shim then use Loctite to set your screw. See if that will help.
To me my CX-5 situation is unsolvable unless I replace the entire roof with a new small sheet metal screw hole. Screw hole shim may be but Loctite is not the proper way to fix this problem as you basically try to make the screw permanent unremovable.

I blame it on poor design by Mazda as it uses only one screw instead of two like the most others holding the sun visor to save a fraction of penny. I also believe the screw had been over-torqued particularly during the assembly which caused the thread to strip on the thin roof metal with the pulling force by many times of visor usage. And did I mention the exposed screw on sun visor looks cheap too?

Thanks for the reply. No, I do not have a GT. Last dealer found a loose clip on a ventilation duct under the dash and the remote starter cable was loose. He fixed both of those problems but it hasn't fixed that particular noise. Found a post on a different Mazda forum where a guy had his CX-5 at a dealer for like 6 weeks. Heres the outcome:
Yep you should definitely take his advice trying to resolve your rattling issue.

Its funny that the same guy suffered rattling issue from his sun visor too:

MetsFan said:
Birgrim, have your dealer call the dealer that fixed my issues. They did tell me a TSB would be released, whether it ever was or not, I don't know.

Call Mazda of Milford, Connecticut, USA. Speak to Ray. He's the service manager that would not quit on the problem until he found it. My clicking sound was traveling to the column between the driver's side window and windshield. Good luck!

I've had another clicking sound fixed that may help you. It was the clamp that holds the passenger side sun visor in place. Had that replaced and that clicking went away. If you pull on it, you'll hear noise coming from it... worth checking.

I now have a new clicking sound now that winter has set in (cold whether), and appears to becoming from the passenger side door.

I love this car, but hate clicking sounds when I'm driving it. A real quality control issue IMO. Makes the interior seem cheaply done.

My 2017 rattle was coming from the clear plastic over the instrument display. Putting a little pressure on it reseats it but it tends to come back.

My 2016.5 with 16,000km has the dashboard rattle noise too, very annoying. Appears to happen only on rough roads, I have not been back to the dealer yet to ask there opinion. Maybe if Mazda sees enough of these complaints about the dash rattle they will address it. If anyone finds a solution please reply, I love the car....

weird i usually have my glasses in there and no rattle. they're made of metal though if that makes a difference

I*ve got a rattle going now. It*s coming from left side where the dash meets the windshield just about on the right side of the left speaker area. I*ve popped off the speaker cover and the speaker is tight and so is the speaker grill... it happens most while breaking and if the road is slightly rough.. No I don*t have sunglasses or anything inthe center sunglass holder.

I*ve looked from underneath the dash (footwell) looking up but did not notice anything loose their eather.. looked order the hood to see if something was loose there.. nothing..

Anyone have this too?.

Nothing that I am aware of, and I*m the only driver..

Then it sounds to me that you've gone over a decent size road deformation that has caused something to come loose.

Up to you if you want to get the Mazda service centre to pull apart he dash to try and resolve the rattle issue

Dashboard Rattle - 2019 CX5

You sure it's the dashboard?

On occasion I've had a rattle occurring in my Mazda 6 and for ages I thought it was the dashboard but turned out it was the rear view mirror, in particular the cables plug in area (auto dimming/sensor for rain detection). As soon as I hold the cables, there is no rattle

Maybe have a look at that (scratch)

I believe you got this right; my CX5 is barely a month old and I hear this annoying rattle every time I drive over uneven road. I thought it was the glove box - nothing there but paper; removed everything from my storage console bin - rattle still there; I thought I heard the noise coming from the rear view mirror - have to get the dealer to check this on my first check up this saturday.

thx for the info.

ramon

Back