Need some buying advice

.... because it does look better. far better. literally every single person that doesn't like the 2017 styling owns the older model, suspiciously enough...

the previous model looked cheap and childish. whoever thinks the 2017 model looks worse is blind.
Wow... Childish? Ridiculous.

.... because it does look better. far better. literally every single person that doesn't like the 2017 styling owns the older model, suspiciously enough...

the previous model looked cheap and childish. whoever thinks the 2017 model looks worse is blind.

Yeah this is comical lol

Wow... Childish? Ridiculous.

Mazda said themselves that the brand is moving upscale and ditching their childish image with the big smiley grilles and youthful mazdaspeed hatches.

Put the 2016 side by side with a 2017 and you'll see exactly what i mean.

I just didn't expect the styling to be so controversial because Mazda did a really, really good job on the front end of this new car.

I like both body styles. I still think the 16.5 looks great when I see one on the road because of the new grill and wheels and the new lights front and rear.

Even Mazda says they were not trying to go away from what made the original body style so great, "Efforts focused on creating a bold, tough look that further enhances the distinct personality and dynamic air of the previous model."

I like both body styles. I still think the 16.5 looks great when I see one on the road because of the new grill and wheels and the new lights front and rear.

Even Mazda says they were not trying to go away from what made the original body style so great, "Efforts focused on creating a bold, tough look that further enhances the distinct personality and dynamic air of the previous model."

Exactly. Both body styles are great looking, both with their pros and cons. GJ is being very arrogant with his claims.

And they did a brilliant job. It looks far more expensive and upscale then before without impeding on its sporting image, and is proudly one of the only CUV's that doesn't have an overly cluttered look. All the lines flow together well and it's a simple yet functionally effective design. I want never a fan of crossovers until I saw what they did with the new model. It really looks great.

Oh, and the new interior Mazda is coming out feel far more premium then the older design we have in our 2015 model. I'm becoming jealous.

Exactly. Both body styles are great looking, both with their pros and cons. GJ is being very arrogant with his claims.

If you say so....

I'm entitled to my opinion just like everyone else. I don't see how that's being arrogant.

I Just find it amusing that the 2016 owners hate on the 2017 model, and get mad when someone comes around with an unbiased opinion.

Let me just say one more thing so you don't completely take me the wrong way. Your 2016 model looks great. It was the 2014 model with the cheap looking lights that I called childish. Yours looks nice..

No one "hates on" the 17. It's the best CUV in its class chock full of features no other car in its class has. Some of us just prefer the looks, only, over the 17. I'd certainly buy the 17 today. It also looks better then every car in its class. Some of us just prefer the curvier 16s looks and less chrome. Don't see anyone getting mad.
Well, maybe when someone claims their opinion is a fact. LOL

If you say so.... I'm entitled to my opinion just like everyone else. I don't see how that's being arrogant.

"the previous model looked cheap and childish. whoever thinks the 2017 model looks worse is blind." Really, you don't think that's not arrogant?

Wow, that's some Mango level trolling there friendo.

Looks are subjective. I think the 2017 is a hideous knockoff of the original. You can argue that the 2017 has clearly better materials inside. But the styling is not Kodo anymore.

Back to the OP's question, if you are planning to keep for the long term, like I did with mine when I bought it, get the 2017. It'll be new, it'll have warranty, and it sounds like you prefer it's looks. Seems an easy decision.

Personally I would steer clear of the Mazda brand based on my recent experience. We have a Mazda CX-7 with 84,000 miles on it and just had the engine turbo and AC compressor fail. Dealer wants $4k+ to repair, and Mazda is unwilling to assist with any of the cost. Shocking that a major engine component would fail so early, but seems to be common issue based on what the dealer said and reviews on Edmonds. Shouldn't trust a company that doesn't stand behind their work

Personally I would steer clear of the Mazda brand based on my recent experience. We have a Mazda CX-7 with 84,000 miles on it and just had the engine turbo and AC compressor fail. Dealer wants $4k+ to repair, and Mazda is unwilling to assist with any of the cost. Shocking that a major engine component would fail so early, but seems to be common issue based on what the dealer said and reviews on Edmonds. Shouldn't trust a company that doesn't stand behind their work

LOL - you have 84,000 miles and are unlikely under any warranty at that point. Why would they cover it?

2010 was before SkyActiv Mazdas came out which was really the first Mazda only design platform seperate from the Ford days of Mazda. So really an apples to oranges comparison here. Ford days Mazdas are not the same as SkyActiv Mazdas, and the SkyActiv Mazdas are way more reliable.

Last edited:
That totally sucks Mattwich.
But you're not really mad that the dealer won't help, are you? No dealer is going to help you 3 years after your warranty expires.

Wow, that's some Mango level trolling there friendo.

Looks are subjective. I think the 2017 is a hideous knockoff of the original. You can argue that the 2017 has clearly better materials inside. But the styling is not Kodo anymore.

Back to the OP's question, if you are planning to keep for the long term, like I did with mine when I bought it, get the 2017. It'll be new, it'll have warranty, and it sounds like you prefer it's looks. Seems an easy decision.

Looks are definitely subjective. Although while I don't think the 2017 is ugly necessarily, it has some features that I miss. I love the grill on my 2016 (I dislike the honeycomb grill) and I don't like the Infotainment screen sitting up on the top of the dash like the 17. I also like the larger taillights of the 2016.

If you prefer the looks of the 17 definitely get the 17 - you're going to have to look at it a long time, so get what you like!

I like to stay on the side in situations when people think one thing is better than other.
Guys, lets be adults and let everybody express their opinion without going personal and help the future buyer with a constructive opinion.
What is good for one may be bad for other or vice verse. There is no written rule about taste and likes.

Back