2008 Mazda3 Automatic, goes max to 3rd gear

moltar

Three days ago I got engine light, but didn't have time to check. Yesterday, while accelerating rapidly there was a sound and felt it too. It was like something snapped. And then the car started maxing out on the 3rd gear. It was fine otherwise. Just won't go past 3rd. From what I read it sounds like an engine mount, which would be kind of inline with the sound and impact I've heard. Like something snapped.

Any other ideas? Would a bad engine mount show on engine light, I wouldn't think so... Is it just a coincidence?

I brought it to the stealership already, but just wanna be ready if they call and sound like I know a thing or two ;)

Holy crap!

The stealership told me this:

• Transmission pan is rusty and leaking
  • Oil is only half (though never leaked on the driveway)
  • Traction control system for transmission is defective, computer (code P0841, P0139)
  • Rear oxygen sensor is defective needs replaced

I kinda don't believe them, as that specific dealership has some bad reviews with overcharging. Will get a second opinion.

What do you think about "traction control system" though? I have no idea what that is and why it needs replacing... Why would a computer just go "bad"?

Could it be a bad traction control module? What was the dealership quote for all repairs?

By the way, the next time a check engine light turns on, avoid rapid acceleration until the code s checked and the issue, resolved.

Yep, from further research and corroborating symptoms it's the TCM. Stealership wants CAD$883+tax for that. Obviously I am not paying that. Found someone on classifieds selling rebuilt TCMs with 1y warranty with install for CAD$400. I know I can order on eBay for $300 and do the install myself, but then I need to wait a few days to get it here and spend time figuring it out. Better just pay someone local and the warranty is nice.

Oxygen sensor seems unimportant at the moment, and could be false alarm anyways.

Checked the tranny oil, it is indeed pretty dirty. Don't even remember when I replaced it last time, but it was a while ago. But it's definitely not low, if anything it was even a bit high (above second notch). So the stealership lied.

As for the pan, I didn't check it as I don't have a stand.

Did you look up the instructions on how to check it? Is it supposed to be checked cold or warm, run it through all gears etc? Depending on the instructions before you check it, your fluid could read high or low.

Last edited:
Did you look up the instructions on how to check it? Is it supposed to be checked cold or warm, run it through all gears etc? Depending on the instructions before you check it, your fluid could read high or low.

Good point! Didn't think of that.

I'll be changing the oil regardless as it is pretty dirty. It's almost black!

The trans fluid should be translucent red. Change it, ASAP!

Back