Should I pull the trigger - is this a good price??

Personally I would steer clear of the Mazda brand altogether based on my recent experience. We have a Mazda CX-7 with 84,000 miles on it and just had the engine turbo and AC compressor fail. Dealer wants $4k+ to repair, and Mazda is unwilling to assist with any of the cost. Shocking that a major engine component would fail so early but seems to be common issue based on what the dealer said and reviews on Edmonds. Shouldn't trust a company that doesn't stand behind their work

Soa re you just copy/pasting this in various threads? Second one I've seen.

2010 -- I'm just replying when I think it's relevant. Trying to let as many people know as possible. I really regret my decision to trust the brand. Am hoping to save others some trouble and $$

2010 -- I'm just replying when I think it's relevant. Trying to let as many people know as possible. I really regret my decision to trust the brand. Am hoping to save others some trouble and $$

A lot has changed with Mazda since 2010. Similarly with Hyundai. So while it's unfortunate what happened to you, I wouldn't really think about a 2010 Mazda issue and associate it with a current mazda.

A lot has changed with Mazda since 2010. Similarly with Hyundai. So while it's unfortunate what happened to you, I wouldn't really think about a 2010 Mazda issue and associate it with a current mazda.

Especially considering that the engines and transmissions are totally unrelated

From a design and build standpoint I really can't comment, because I'm not an engineer, and the durability and reliability of their current models over time at this point is unknown. From a business practice standpoint, I feel what happened to us is still relevant as Mazda's decision about our car happened this past week. Shows that if there is a similar issue with current models, they won't stand by their work

From a design and build standpoint I really can't comment, because I'm not an engineer, and the durability and reliability of their current models over time at this point is unknown. From a business practice standpoint, I feel what happened to us is still relevant as Mazda's decision about our car happened this past week. Shows that if there is a similar issue with current models, they won't stand by their work

Well, it was out of warranty...did they not offer an extended warranty when you bought it?

Well, it was out of warranty...did they not offer an extended warranty when you bought it?
Sort of my thought as well.

Out of warranty is out of warranty. And a pre Skyactiv Mazda is far and away different from current Skyactiv models.

Standard warranty in US is 60K miles. Plus CX7 are modded sometimes, if you bought used then the previous owner might have been responsible for some modifications.
At 84K miles - turbo blowing away is not something I have heard regularly. From certain owners here - Mazda happily replaced their trannies - they had a small batch which had a small issue.

If you think other manufacturers will fix your turbo issues after 84K miles - I think you havent bought / used cars for more than 5 years.

Fair point about the car being out of warranty. I'm not suggesting that Mazda is obligated to do anything at all; however, in this day and age, cars should/almost always do go much further than 84k miles before a failure like this. I have a 2001 Pontiac with 160k miles on it and haven't ever had to replace something major like this. Reviews elsewhere suggest this failure isn't limited to us alone with others sometimes having to replace multiple times.

Fair point about the car being out of warranty. I'm not suggesting that Mazda is obligated to do anything at all; however, in this day and age, cars should/almost always do go much further than 84k miles before a failure like this. I have a 2001 Pontiac with 160k miles on it and haven't ever had to replace something major like this. Reviews elsewhere suggest this failure isn't limited to us alone with others sometimes having to replace multiple times.

Things happen. This can happen with ANY manufacturer. There will always be a few bad ones out there and it just unfortunately happen to be yours. This isn't just a Mazda thing.

Personally I would steer clear of the Mazda brand altogether based on my recent experience. We have a Mazda CX-7 with 84,000 miles on it and just had the engine turbo and AC compressor fail. Dealer wants $4k+ to repair, and Mazda is unwilling to assist with any of the cost. Shocking that a major engine component would fail so early but seems to be common issue based on what the dealer said and reviews on Edmonds. Shouldn't trust a company that doesn't stand behind their work

I'm confused. The CX-5 has never shipped in the US with a turbo engine so how did you end up with a failed turbo? Also, my other car is a BMW and its AC compressor failed at 36K. AC compressor lasting 84K miles is not unreasonable. Asking Mazda to pay for it so far after warranty expired is unreasonable.

I'm confused. The CX-5 has never shipped in the US with a turbo engine so how did you end up with a failed turbo? Also, my other car is a BMW and its AC compressor failed at 36K. AC compressor lasting 84K miles is not unreasonable. Asking Mazda to pay for it so far after warranty expired is unreasonable.

It's a cx7.

Probably because it has the GM 3800 in it, which is practically un-killable.

Back