Unknown Noise

2013Maz3

:
2013 Mazda 3 non-S/A
I have a 2013 Mazda 3 2.0 no Skyactive with 59K miles, and have developed what I would call a clunk coming from underneath my foot. It isn't just a single clunk either, its usually a series of small ones anywhere from 2-4 in a matter of a couple seconds. It is only on take off from a stand still. Doesn't matter how light or hard a take off either and it is only noticeable when my foot is resting back towards my seat, if my foot is forward on the foot rest by the brake pedal I don't feel it. Looking under the car where I notice it is about even with the crossmember has no bushings or anything that would move. I thought maybe the rear control arm bushing but that seems to be farther forward, but of course sounds and vibrations can travel Everything seems to be solid under there though, I looked it over as well a garage I deal with through my job. Only thing I can think of is possible the exhaust flexing and hitting but I feel that would get that more than just take off. IDK I am stumped and have been told maybe just wait until it gets worse and go from there but I would rather not do that. Any ideas are welcome, I saw one person with the same complaint on a 2014 online but there were no responses or problems solved on that one.

I thought all 2.0 engines in 2013 are Skyactive engines. Do you have a 2.5L, instead?
Have you or anyone else checked the brakes?

does it make the same noise going

FORWARD...STOP.....FORWARD

Versus

FORWARD....STOP.....REVERSE...STOP....FORWARD?

No noise going from stop to reverse, only stop to forward. And yes it is a 2.0 non skyactive, it's the SV model, about as basic as it gets. Brakes inspected when the garage I use was looking for anything that was creating the sound.

While there is a sound, it is almost like the sound you get when your applying torque, like a creaking sound that you can feel, does that make sense? I've never been able to hear it from outside and it's not real loud inside, just subtle, but it's how it feels. My plan is this weekend to get under it and check every not and bolt and make sure they are torqued. It's just odd being that where I feel it there's is nothing there underneath the car and I if position my for farther forward I don't feel anything. IDK, it's got my frustrated, it's like chasing ghosts.

I realize that this is very old, but...
I thought all 2.0 engines in 2013 are Skyactive engines.
No. At least in Canada, all-Skyactiv didn't start until the new bodystyle for the 2014 model year; in 2012 and 2013 only the GS (or GS-SKY) trim had the Skyactiv-G 2.0, and other engines were the same as the previous years of this generation.

Now that you mention it, I have not seen any Skyactive 2.5L engines in previous generation Mazda 3s here in the US, either.

Back