2017 cx5 Bluetooth issues after AIO

It's a blatant disregard for others as far as I'm concerned and I applaud Mazda for taking a stance on it.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

With freedom comes risk. If you want to live in a nanny world, that's your business I suppose. I don't need or want Mazda telling me what I can't do with my own car (which is my own as it is free and clear).

Being able to touch some icons on a screen is not texting while driving. Hell, I don't even have a commander knob and Mazda locks out certain options on the touchscreen. It literally has no reason to be locked out. Completely arbitrary. If anything it is far safer than texting while driving. For most of my icons, I've muscle memorized where they are that I don't even have to look. For others its a much quicker glance than say looking down at a phone which is much more "eyes off road" than a quick glance at the infotainment screen which is close to the same eye level as the road...hell even more so on your 2017!

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing it's REALLY that much worse here then it is there or in any 1st world nation.

Well it is. It is completely illegal in the UK with a fine of up to 1000 (although we don’t have enough cops to uphold it) where in the USA it seems not to be as I have followed cop cars that are ignoring many people on the phone. It seems like you only get penalised after you cause an accident by litigation.

Well, I'm still going to disagree. Frankly, I'm a little tired of this attitude that "if it has a screen, it must be bad!". It is absolutely no different then using a radio in the dash in 1986. Of course, what was the #1 cause of crashes in 1986? Fiddling with the radio. :D
You couldn’t surf Facebook or send an SMS in 1986.

That was completely unnecessary to post.

Yea, but we are all well aware that people die every damn day from texting and driving. That was my only point. We don't need specific examples.

The truth hurts?
Accidents are caused by all manner of things, speed being high on the list, followed by just poor drivers.

.....and messing with devices when they should be driving.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

With freedom comes risk. If you want to live in a nanny world, that's your business I suppose. I don't need or want Mazda telling me what I can't do with my own car (which is my own as it is free and clear).

Being able to touch some icons on a screen is not texting while driving. Hell, I don't even have a commander knob and Mazda locks out certain options on the touchscreen. It literally has no reason to be locked out. Completely arbitrary. If anything it is far safer than texting while driving. For most of my icons, I've muscle memorized where they are that I don't even have to look. For others its a much quicker glance than say looking down at a phone which is much more "eyes off road" than a quick glance at the infotainment screen which is close to the same eye level as the road...hell even more so on your 2017!

Well Mazda obviously think differently. Good for them. They have also taken steps in the latest system updates to lock the user out if they interfere with the defeat - double good for them.

Look, its my opinion as well as Mazda’s, Jonno obviously agrees and so do many others. My opinion is not going to stop some of you messing about when you should be driving as you wish to exercise your choice to do so. No need to be quite so emotive about it.

Last edited:
For those who think that Mazda locking out the screen while driving is safer, is that belief backed up by hard data? If what they're saying is true, then Mazdas should be statistically less involved in distracted driving accidents compared to vehicles w/enabled touch screens. Anyone have data to back that up? Otherwise, it's just FUD.

For those who think that Mazda locking out the screen while driving is safer, is that belief backed up by hard data? If what they're saying is true, then Mazdas should be statistically less involved in distracted driving accidents compared to vehicles w/enabled touch screens. Anyone have data to back that up? Otherwise, it's just FUD.

Have you got data to say it isn't a fact? That would be much harder to find.

Hundreds of hits on google

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591148/One-four-car-accidents-caused-cell-phone-use-driving-five-cent-blamed-texting.html

Last edited:
I was being very distracted today fiddling with the aircon heater controls, but managed not to have an accident. (boom06)

Maybe this is apples to oranges. I don't even have a commander knob in my 2014. So is it unsafe that they locked out some features while leaving other features unlocked while driving? Even though some of the locked features don't necessarily require any more distraction or effort than fiddling with the radio.

The one exception would be phone pairing, but even then, the only time I would want to fiddle with that while driving is if my girlfriend is riding with me and she wants to pair her phone up and play Pandora or something from her phone. In this situation, I the driver am not doing a damn thing, but still she the passenger can't do anything till I stop.

I'm sorry, it's stupid and arbitrary. You'll of course make the argument that that would enable other stupid idiotic morons to sit there pairing their phones while driving. Maybe, but I'm not, I just want my passenger to be able to do things. So why should we be punished for other people's dumbassery?

Sorry but I will never agree with you on that front.

Last edited:
And who the hell is being emotive? Geez, we're just having a friendly discussion / debate. Kind of what we do here. [emoji8]
Oh, and Mazda didn't lock us out because they don't want us touching our screen. They did it to stop the overall hacking bit.

Last edited:
And they probably did it so people would stop making them look silly because AA runs on it. A couple of geeks in a Mazda forum get AA running (almost, except for BT) but Mazda hasn't.

Back