Mazda Impressions and Review

If you go by that alone then no but the 17 is quieter, interior is better, more features, smoother ride to name a few. For some 16 owners that is more than enough to trade up.

All I am saying is feul economy here for the 17 isn't that much worse than generation 1

It may not be 'much worse' but it is WORSE. I think that's the whole point. Cargo space has shrunk, suspension has been softened, uses the same crappy head unit software, etc...it's nice that they improved the NVH and interior styling, but usually when these company redesign a vehicle EVERYTHING is improved upon, not just a few things or at least in some areas there won't be an improvement at all. In the CX-5's case several things got worse.

And anyone that trades in their 2016.5 or lower for this 2017 is a complete moron. There just isn't enough improvement in the vehicle over the previous generation to warrant that kind of financial loss in depreciation. It's likely the mid-cycle refresh will bring a new engine and transmission, I'd probably wait for that if I owned a CX-5. These SUVs(even the 2012) are still too new to be taking a financial hit like that just for some improvements in interior styling and a few extra features.

I thought about it, but nope. The quick loss of value CX5's have precludes me trading it in unless it becomes unreliable, and then you add time/convenience cost , which will tip the scales.

It's true. A small investment in the OVT intake and exhaust cam is a safe bet without the development of a set up for turbo.

And your assessment is correct.

I liked my CX-5 because it didn't feel like an upmarket CUV for the soccer mom/family crowd. I'm 26 now, was 22 when I bought my CX-5. It appealed to me when none of the other CUV's did. Sitting in the 2017, I don't know how to explain it, but it just didn't give me the same feeling sitting in my 2014 does.

Is the 2017 a better CX-5 on the feature/gadget game, and materials used inside? For sure it is, but the upmarket doesn't really appeal to me, so as a direction the new design just doesn't appeal, and from a stylistic perspective, the 2017 loses it's charm to me.

I'm simply speaking for myself, I realize that I am probably the outlier on this front. Different strokes, different folks and all that jazz.

I see what you mean. But if the newer model strengthens mazdas sales, then they went in the right direction with the styling department. It looks like the sort of clean, uncluttered upscale look that most buyers would go for (you and me are not "most buyers")

Seriously, look at the front end of the Toyota, or just about any other competitor in comparison to the mazdas clean look. Looks like a god damn cyborg fish. Cluttered.

Numbers on spec comparison speak for themselves! It's true 2017 CX-5 is heavier, slower, gets worse fuel economy, less cargo space than the 2016(.5). Loosing almost 10% of cargo space is a big one!

Yeah, I looked at the cargo area today. There is a hump that comes down from the top at the very back of the cargo area that I assume is for the rear power lift gate. That brings the height from floor to roof down 2" in that area. The roof goes back up to 34" after the hump, but I assume that entire 2" is taken out of the measurement.
The key measurements that determine everyday usability, width at floor, width between wheel wells, length with rear seats upright are virtually the same. The height to lift something in the cargo area has improved 7/10", which is no big deal, but helps, as well as the completely flat floor when seats are folded. 10% loss is on paper only, unless you frequently use the entire cargo area floor to ceiling.

Measurements 2016, 2017
Height from Floor to Roof (inches) 34.6, 32.4
Length w/ rear seats upright (inches) 38.7, 38
Rear Tailgate Opening Height (inches) 32.6, 30.7
Rear Tailgate Opening Width (inches) 44.4, 44.3
Width at Floor (inches) 57.1, 57
Width between Rear Tire House (inches) 41.3, 41.3
Lift over Height (inches) 29.2, 28.5

I see what you mean. But if the newer model strengthens mazdas sales, then they went in the right direction with the styling department. It looks like the sort of clean, uncluttered upscale look that most buyers would go for (you and me are not "most buyers")

Seriously, look at the front end of the Toyota, or just about any other competitor in comparison to the mazdas clean look. Looks like a god damn cyborg fish. Cluttered.

Hey I never said it looked worse than the competition. Still looks better than any other comparable CUV out there. Just worse than my Gen1 (in my opinion) (lol2)

It may not be 'much worse' but it is WORSE. I think that's the whole point. Cargo space has shrunk, suspension has been softened, uses the same crappy head unit software, etc...it's nice that they improved the NVH and interior styling, but usually when these company redesign a vehicle EVERYTHING is improved upon, not just a few things or at least in some areas there won't be an improvement at all. In the CX-5's case several things got worse.

And anyone that trades in their 2016.5 or lower for this 2017 is a complete moron. There just isn't enough improvement in the vehicle over the previous generation to warrant that kind of financial loss in depreciation. It's likely the mid-cycle refresh will bring a new engine and transmission, I'd probably wait for that if I owned a CX-5. These SUVs(even the 2012) are still too new to be taking a financial hit like that just for some improvements in interior styling and a few extra features.

Of course anyone trading a 2016 would be crazy, but I had 100K on my '14 and the company I work for forces me to purchase a new vehicle at 100K because I carry clients around and they want me in a newer vehicle. You're saying I'm a moron because the '17 was available when I was looking and I bought it over the '16? No matter how many times you repeat the same things(it's slower, it's heavier, it's softer, fuel economy, it's got less cargo room). All of the items you try to come up with are so close to the previous model, it is undetectable in normal driving situations. Except maybe the suspension, which I think is a huge improvement with the 15% increase in torsional rigidity but now passengers don't cringe when going over holes in the road.
So much more than NVH and interior styling have been improved upon, although those two are so much improved, it's like night and day, so I understand why you bring those up. A new engine/transmission might have been nice, but I prefer not to be the beta tester on those, but maybe they will be proven when I get a 2020, just like the current setup is proven right now.

It's your money, buy what you want or need at the time, not really anyone's business.

Just picked up my '17 CX-5 Snowflake White Pearl yesterday after trading in my '12 Miata PRHT. This this is sweet! I feel like I'm in a Mercedes for 1/2 the price, or less... so far, I think it's great. Never had the chance to get a pre-17 so can't really comment intelligently on those but really like this one, smooth, quiet and good power.

20170822_091411-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I thought lighter, stiffer suspension, and so forth was the reason people bought these?
People complained that the suspension was too stiff and they made it softer, they also said it was too noisy hence all the extra sound deadening stuff which made it a bit heavier than the previous model yet they're still buying it

Honestly, if you have a 2013 or 2014 CX-5 and you test drive a 2017 CX-5, the improvements will feel major. The whole experience is dramatically improved. And yes, the car feels faster and more responsive (even if it not). I have spent probably 10 hours in 2017 and would upgrade in a heartbeat (but am waiting for the diesel!).
All about perception [emoji3]

It's your money, buy what you want or need at the time, not really anyone's business.

Just picked up my '17 CX-5 Snowflake White Pearl yesterday after trading in my '12 Miata PRHT. This this is sweet! I feel like I'm in a Mercedes for 1/2 the price, or less... so far, I think it's great. Never had the chance to get a pre-17 so can't really comment intelligently on those but really like this one, smooth, quiet and good power.

Congrats!

How many miles, and how much did you get for the Miata PRHT?

Really interested in one of those in the future, just haven't seen what they go for.

Car companies always add in new features every year and yet the prices always remain about the same. So that is nothing special. Just the way it works.

I quote the fuel economy piece from mango so I actually don't agree with that. I think the two years will be about the same. Why shouldn't they?

True. FWD went from 26/33 to 24/31 and AWD went from 24/30 to 23/29. This is after 2016 FWD was adjusted up 1 MPG city and hwy over previous FWD. I believe the '14 and '15 numbers were 25/31 and 24/29. So two things happened. First, the EPA adjusted their method for calculating the fuel economy shown on new-car window stickers starting with the 2017 model year https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings.shtml. The exact same vehicle with absolutely no changes from any manufacturer would get a lower city/hwy MPG rating in most cases. And second, to the benefit of noise reduction, some additional weight was added. Here is what fuelly.com is showing today for all the CX5 model years with a 2.5 engine. You have to take into account most of the '17 engines are not broken in yet. The 2012 and 2013 numbers are with the filter set for the 2.0 engine only to show what they average.
2017 25.8 MPG
2016 26.0 MPG
2015 25.5 MPG
2014 26.5 MPG
2013 28.0 MPG
2012 28.3 MPG
Anyway, I expect the '17 to settle in on fuelly somewhere around 26 to 27 once more of the new ones are through the break in period.

You want objective data, here.
16 - 7.8 seconds. 17 - 8.4 seconds(MT)

Last time I'm going over this because it is really just stupid but people keep bringing it up. https://www.0-60specs.com/mazda-cx-5-0-60-times/
'17 FWD has only been actually track tested once, and got 7.8
'17 AWD has been track tested twice and got 8.4 and 8.1
A previous year model FWD has never been tested faster than 7.8, but was tested at 8.1 in '14.
A previous year model AWD has been tested at 7.6 in '14, and 7.7 and 7.8 in '16.
So, '17 FWD is equally as fast or faster than all previous year's FWD, and equal to or 2.5% slower than all previous year's AWD.
'17 AWD is 4-6% slower than previous years AWD.

Cargo space - 16 - 34.1ft/65.4ft 17 - 30.9ft/59.6ft(google)

I explained that in another post. But in case you missed it.
The key measurements that determine everyday usability, width at floor, width between wheel wells, length with rear seats upright are virtually the same. The height to lift something in the cargo area has improved 7/10", which is no big deal, but helps, as well as the completely flat floor when seats are folded. 10% loss is on paper only, unless you frequently use the entire cargo area floor to ceiling.

Measurements 2016, 2017
Height from Floor to Roof (inches) 34.6, 32.4
Length w/ rear seats upright (inches) 38.7, 38
Rear Tailgate Opening Height (inches) 32.6, 30.7
Rear Tailgate Opening Width (inches) 44.4, 44.3
Width at Floor (inches) 57.1, 57
Width between Rear Tire House (inches) 41.3, 41.3
Lift over Height (inches) 29.2, 28.5

So yeah, in certain areas the 16 is objectively better. Much better? No. My point is that these are areas they shouldn't be going backwards in. I think the 17 is a hell of a car and yeah I would buy it. I just wish mazda didn't decline in these areas.

So, actual fuel economy may be lower, but I doubt it. 0-6 time is 4-6% slower on AWD vehicles, but FWD is just as fast if not faster, and cargo room has decreased if you need to stack to the roof, but for everyday normal use it is exactly the same but now the floor folds flat and the load height is lower.
Those are your areas you claim it has declined, or is "going backwards". Care to go over the areas it improved?

Last edited:
For the most part, people won't notice that the 17 is slightly slower than the 16

Puhleeze. We're not a bunch of 16 year-olds trying to establish bragging rights over the school cafeteria table.

Latest posts

Back