How to tap into high beam wire?

:
CX5 Touring
:
Does anyone know how to find the "high beam wire" behind the steering column or where I can find a wiring diagram for this for 2016.5 CX5? Trying to tap into that wire so I can attach a relay (single pole double throw) for a light bar. End result would be light bar turning on automatically when high beam is manually turned on.

Picture is kind of what I'm trying to do. Not sure if cx5 is any different from a traditional setup since DRL and high beam uses the same bulb. Any input?
35378d1390733622-led-lights-into-high-beam-switch-wiring-diagram-help-wiring-diagram.gif

This's not going to be as easy as you thought unless you programmed the DRL function of your CX-5 Touring to off. There's a switch inside of headlight control module changing 2 high-beam connections between serial for DRLs and parallel for high-beams. You can splice the wire feeding high-beam bulb HB3/9005 directly but the voltage would change between 6~7V for DRLs and 12~13V for high-beams. I'm not sure this voltage difference feeding the pin 86 of your relay can be enough to reach the threshold changing the state of your relay.

Shrimpsiumai,

Have you completed this install yet?? I too have a 2016.5 CX 5 and find the lighting ridiculously dismal. Like you, considering adding either a light light bar or 2 small aux. lamps but haven't found a solid mounting spot in the grill or cooling ducts worth using. Curious where/how you're mounting your light bar??? Any luck on the hi beam cable?? Still looking for a quality HID kit to replace the halogen lows.

I might have an answer for your mounting point for a set of lights. I used one on my Xterra for driving lights.

Manufacturer is Carr, found on Carid.com, the item is called light wing. Works on almost any car, clean easy install, better looking on a CUV than say a truck or sports car. I have not seen any type of light bars available for CX5 yet.

I might have an answer for your mounting point for a set of lights. I used one on my Xterra for driving lights.

Manufacturer is Carr, found on Carid.com, the item is called light wing. Works on almost any car, clean easy install, better looking on a CUV than say a truck or sports car. I have not seen any type of light bars available for CX5 yet.

Hey Road Warrior2,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just took a peek at these, has real possibilities. The CX 5 front bumper license mounts on the flexible rubbery bumper covers often used nowadays but... maybe with a doubler plate to stiffen the area might work?? I'll look closer tomorrow morning, see if this could work.

Mount a set of Vision X 'Light Cannons', install oversized M/S tires, and a roof light bar, it'll look like it's ready for the Dakar rally!!!:D

BTW, Vision X has a variety of light bars at very reasonable prices via the factory outlet store. Light bars from 9" to 40+" length. The best part is they will customize the reflectors to your needs. For instance, you can request fog pattern for the outside lamps for close field/cornering illumination and spot pattern for the inner most lamps for long distance illumination. The best of both worlds.

As one that stage rallied years ago I appreciate good aftermarket lighting. We had to mount separate style lamps to accomplish this very thing. All this illumination required solid mounts, multiple lamps and a hardy alternator and battery, big cables to run it all. Maybe the best part of this is the Yahoo in the lifted pickups that like to tailgate funny looking lil' cars is flicking on the double Cibie 35 fog lamps used as back up lights. Gets their attention quick!!

Thanks again...

Last edited:
Hey Road Warrior2,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just took a peek at these, has real possibilities. The CX 5 front bumper license mounts on the flexible rubbery bumper covers often used nowadays but... maybe with a doubler plate to stiffen the area might work?? I'll look closer tomorrow morning, see if this could work.

Mount a set of Vision X 'Light Cannons', install oversized M/S tires, and a roof light bar, it'll look like it's ready for the Dakar rally!!!:D

BTW, Vision X has a variety of light bars at very reasonable prices via the factory outlet store. Light bars from 9" to 40+" length. The best part is they will customize the reflectors to your needs. For instance, you can request fog pattern for the outside lamps for close field/cornering illumination and spot pattern for the inner most lamps for long distance illumination. The best of both worlds.

As one that stage rallied years ago I appreciate good aftermarket lighting. We had to mount separate style lamps to accomplish this very thing. All this illumination required solid mounts, multiple lamps and a hardy alternator and battery, big cables to run it all. Maybe the best part of this is the Yahoo in the lifted pickups that like to tailgate funny looking lil' cars is flicking on the double Cibie 35 fog lamps used as back up lights. Gets their attention quick!!

Thanks again...

Usually, the front bumper cover is covering over a stiff metal bumper. When I did the install of the Xterra, we drilled into the steel bumper and then used the self tapping screws to secure. Since I don't have a CX5 yet, I'm not sure what is behind the spot where the front license plat attaches. I'm big on after market lighting, been looking for pictures of CX5 with aftermarket lighting, not having much success. Of course the biggest problem is mounting points. Saw many vehicles with the front license plate in use, but no idea of how stiff the mount point is. That plate is not overly heavy, unsure how heavy the lights are too. I was thinking about some sub 3" type lights. Was looking at a set of PIAA that were driver lights that are yellow.

The thing I like about the Carr plate wing is that it is not crazy in your face safari bar that would look out of place on a CX5, unless you added a bunch of roof rack and tires and so forth to draw attention away from a bull or safari type front bar. Understated, black matches up with the trim, simple effective mount point.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to find the "high beam wire" behind the steering column or where I can find a wiring diagram for this for 2016.5 CX5? Trying to tap into that wire so I can attach a relay (single pole double throw) for a light bar. End result would be light bar turning on automatically when high beam is manually turned on.

Picture is kind of what I'm trying to do. Not sure if cx5 is any different from a traditional setup since DRL and high beam uses the same bulb. Any input?
35378d1390733622-led-lights-into-high-beam-switch-wiring-diagram-help-wiring-diagram.gif

What kind of light bar? Roof mounted type or something on the front of the car?

I have a question about the "light panels" I have seen mounted on vehicles are very bright, but they don't project the light in any direction so they are fairly useless as an aid to lighting longer distances like a focused beam of lights like a driving light. Is there a light panel that is focused?

I didn't get around to installing the light bar yet. I was just going to get a 16"/20" led light bar mounted on the intercooler spot like previous members here have done. I just finished swapping out the stock fog lights for some morimoto though and it does help.

Back