2017 GT AWD winter wheel/tire combo

:
2017 CX-5 AWD GT Premium
Hey all,
Recently traded our 2012 Mazda3 in for a 2017 CX-5 GT AWD. It's my wife's car and I want to get a set of snows for winter. We live in Milwaukee so this is somewhat overkill but better grip in winter can't hurt. We just ran Conti DWS on the Mazda3 and had occasional dicey situations. Anyways, I'm looking at going to a 17" package for more sidewall, cheaper, etc. I like the rally look of the Sparco Terras. Bronze on our dark blue CX-5 would look pretty cool I think. I'll probably just grab Conti Wintercontact SI and buy it all as a package from Tire Rack. Thoughts?

pfyH80U.jpg

ER1LsyE.jpg

Last edited:
What do you propose to do about the active TPMS? I'm going to try my old winter wheels and tyres and if all I get is a warning light I can live with that. If it insists on overwriting everything that is selected on the infotainment display, that might be another matter.

I've already priced new wheels with the proper TPMS valves from Mazda.

fullsizeoutput_16cd.jpg

Last edited:
In the Detroit area, we've been having mild winters lately. I've had winter tires on our Mazda3 for the last two winters and have driven it in snow where they made a difference no more than twice! Being retired and rarely having to be anyplace also has a lot to do with this. So when we get our AWD CX-5 I'll probably see how it goes with just the all-seasons. They should be sufficient, especially when they're in their first half of tread wear. The CX-5 will be replacing a 2011 Outback that has always done well in snow with all-seasons except for the winter where the tires were pretty worn down, and I fixed that with a new set of Michelin Defenders.

I'll probably just get a second set of TPMS installed to avoid hassles. I'm sure the car would do okay with all seasons but it only takes one incident and deductible for bodywork to make the snow set worth it. Wife will feel more comfortable having as much help as possible in severe conditions.

those rims are ugly.

I have yokohama ice-guard ig52c on a RWD BMW with good results. yokohama is well tuned to Mazda's so that tire would work well for you.

I would also look into the x-ice and blizzak tires.

I'll probably just get a second set of TPMS installed to avoid hassles.
Do you realize TPMS tire pressure sensor for 2017 CX-5 costs $91.74 EACH in the US? (eek2)

Since a member said he talked to his Mazda dealer and been told there's no tire pressure sensor with wheels for 2017 CX-5, I called my Mazda dealer from overseas trying to verify. Well, at least for US/NA market, there's tire pressure sensor with valve stem on each wheel for 2017 CX-5:

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!
41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

Now I'm really puzzled why Mazda made this change at least in US/NA market for 2nd-gen CX-5 as apparently in some areas the pressure sensors don't exist for their TPMS like the 1st-gen CX-5. There's no added benefit to have tire pressure sensors at current TPMS setup in 2nd-gen CX-5 without direct-read tire pressure display like Nissan Rogue other than expensive maintenance cost. Imagine how much more it'd cost for extra set of winter wheels with snow tire? And how much more it'd cost when we're getting a new set of tires?

Here's an example of direct-read tire pressure display TPMS utilizing tire pressure sensors on Nissan Rogue:

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

A quick google search and there are aftermarket suppliers for half the cost of OEM.

The 17" like you said will give you more sidewall. Great for winter ruts, and general poor road conditions.
Also ask your Mazda dealer for any leftover wheels, takeoffs, and sometimes you can get a great deal on them.

IMO if you're swapping tires for the season, getting another complete set is the only way to do it. You can swap them over in your own garage on your own time. Up here there are 2-3 week line ups when it's that time. removing and reinstalling rubber on the same rim is a lot of wear and tear, and isn't cheap. That alone would pay for the new wheels in a couple years. Your tires will now last twice as long.

A quick google search and there are aftermarket suppliers for half the cost of OEM.
I googled and there're some Mazda compatible aftermarket sensors. But I don't see any cheap aftermarket tire pressure sensors claimed compatible with 2017 Mazda CX-5 TPMS sensor BHA4-37-140.

Got them on. Used the TPMS from tire rack, reset fine. Car could use a mild drop but no springs available for now.

ER1LsyE

Last edited:
Used my set of 17s with Yoko winter tyres. They eventually put the light on but no buzzers or dash messages so that’ll do me.

C0_B3_FA03-_ED01-4_D08-_BE80-29213_DD551_B7.jpg

Why not just go with the IceX2's in a 225/65R17. They are about $1 more from tirerack and are consistently rated as a top winter tire

Didn't see that option as I was just shopping the car category, not the light truck/suv category. This thing is just a lifted wagon anyways.

Back