Anyone own the new CX-9 in AZ or NV on here?

JOSER_SPEED6

:
2014 Mazda 6 Touring
Looking to trade in our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with 40K miles on it for a new CX-9. We love the captains chairs and all the options (glass roof, big touchscreen and all the tech) BUT do not like all the little problems that have been springing up with it lately. AC went out, it was a blown hose (repaired under warranty) battery went out without any warning, and now taking it in to dealer because it will randomly decide not to start when you push the button.

We traded in our 2007 CX-9 after many years and over 1000K miles of ownership and thinking of coming back to Mazda. We are a Mazda family. I drive a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring and have owned all 3 generations of 6's including the speed6 so we love Mazda.

But I do have a couple of concerns. One of my biggest concerns besides no captains chairs (best part about the Hyundai) was with one of the reviews from Motortrend I believe. They tested it in the desert and had negative things to say about the AC not blowing cold air and also Turbo performing poorly in extreme desert heat. We live in OC but go to Sedona AZ a couple times a year and also Vegas so my concern is that on a long trip thru the 10FWY in 110+degree temperatures the AC will not be cold enough or the turbo will get too hot. I know on a couple of occasions my Speed6 turned off on me in the high desert but I had been running it pretty hard so I know how turbos can react to hot weather.

Has anyone living or traveling in the desert experienced any of these issues with their new CX-9? I know the CX-9 isn't perfect and doesn't check off every box for us but we like it and trust Mazda. But if these problems are common then we might have to look at other SUV's although not a fan of the Pilot (I do like RES for the kids), Highlander is dated, never buying another Hyundai and I hate to admit this but the Odyssey looks pretty cool (damn I really did just type that) getting old I guess. LOL

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks everyone

Hey, I happen to be right up your alley. I own 2016 cx-9 signature. I live in Phoenix and have driven to both sedona and Vegas with it. The a/c compared to other vehicles is maybe slightly subpar as far as cooling speed (comparing to Toyota Sienna) but once it has enough time to cool its pretty nice, you just have to sort of bump the air. Turbo hasn't had much of a problem, gas mileage is great.

Comfort of driver seat is a whole other issue I'm disappointed in, I've posed on this before.

Thanks

Hey, I happen to be right up your alley. I own 2016 cx-9 signature. I live in Phoenix and have driven to both sedona and Vegas with it. The a/c compared to other vehicles is maybe slightly subpar as far as cooling speed (comparing to Toyota Sienna) but once it has enough time to cool its pretty nice, you just have to sort of bump the air. Turbo hasn't had much of a problem, gas mileage is great.

Comfort of driver seat is a whole other issue I'm disappointed in, I've posed on this before.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback ioiwin. Glad to hear the turbo performs well for you living in AZ. Yes you are on our way to Sedona, we actually stop in Phoenix to visit family as well. The AC taking a while to pick up I might be able to live with. I have read other review about driver seat comfort, that's something I'll keep in mind when I go test drive it.

It's disappointing Mazda messed up something as important as drive comfort. If one person in the whole car should be comfortable while driving it's the driver! LOL

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback ioiwin. Glad to hear the turbo performs well for you living in AZ. Yes you are on our way to Sedona, we actually stop in Phoenix to visit family as well. The AC taking a while to pick up I might be able to live with. I have read other review about driver seat comfort, that's something I'll keep in mind when I go test drive it.

It's disappointing Mazda messed up something as important as drive comfort. If one person in the whole car should be comfortable while driving it's the driver! LOL

Thanks again!

No problem man. If you want to wait I think 18' models will have seat tilt. I wonder if I can swap my seat out hehe. Yes totally agree on the comfort thing. Good luck!

I have a 2017 Touring and live in Phoenix. Upgraded from a 2010 and can't say enough about how much better it is than the last one. I Have had it sine April and the AC seems to work just fine. It's not as good as some of the big V8's but not enough to complain about.

Back