Notchy First Gear in 2002 Mazda Protege ES

woc212

:
2002 Mazda Protege
Sorry if this has been addressed before but does anyone else experience some notchyness when shifting into first when at a dead stop? If I'm barely rolling first will go in no problem. Wondering if this is a normal occurrence with these cars.

Sorry if this has been addressed before but does anyone else experience some notchyness when shifting into first when at a dead stop? If I'm barely rolling first will go in no problem. Wondering if this is a normal occurrence with these cars.
I had that before I changed the motor mounts and gear oil. I think the rear transmission mount may be worn?

Lol now it's third gear that gives me grief ( because I have bad shifting habbits, and use the clutch as a switch) .

I had that before I changed the motor mounts and gear oil. I think the rear transmission mount may be worn?

Lol now it's third gear that gives me grief ( because I have bad shifting habbits, and use the clutch as a switch) .

Yeah I have a feeling it may just need a fluid change. Every other gear feels really nice going in and out of. I just bought the car 2 weeks or so ago so I'm not sure how these gear boxes should feel.

Well should be fairly smooth, I know they are the weakpoint when put under boost.

In my experience not all gear oil is equal, first time I changed it I used cheap ( $9 cdn a quart) generic crap burned on rings and gave me horrid windage noise.

So I asked a Ford truck fellow what he used, gave me a recommendation for Lucas gear oil, 75-90. Used that and it was quiet and smooth. worth the almost $20cdn a quart IMHO.

Back