Strange issue - CX9 didn't completely shut off when I depressed Start/Stop button

:
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT
Parked and depressed the Stop button to shut off the car.

Car shut down, but the Nav screen powered right back up as if I hit the Start button. The right Info screen on the dash said Ignition On

Nothing else was powered on - I started and shutdown multiple times, but same thing occurs.

I also cannot lock the doors with the smart button on the handle or the FOB. So I manually locked my doors.

The problem is - when I returned to the car, I couldn't unlock it. I even pulled out the physical key and turned the lock, no luck. I was actually able to open the rear hatch by pressing the open button on the hatch, and climbed in to manually unlock the doors.

I called my dealer service dept, and they said that it must be b/c my transmission didn't fully go into Park ??? I really didn't believe them. They told me to start and shut down the car multiple times, while moving the transmission in and out of Park. Made no difference. They said to make an appointment to have it looked at

I drove home rather ticked... when I got home, the car shutdown normally and have had no issues since. I did have the 5K service down two weeks ago, and also a software update (my rear camera stopped working after leaving the dealer, so I had to return to get that looked at)

So far, hasn't happened again.. but I hope if anyone else comes across this, at least you can get in via the rear hatch. (One thing I didn't try was to unlock the doors via the phone app)

...I did have the 5K service down two weeks ago, and also a software update (my rear camera stopped working after leaving the dealer, so I had to return to get that looked at)

Your vehicle was in the care of the dealer. I've lost track of how many times I've taken other vehicle in the past to a dealer, only to then get my vehicle back with additional problems that did not exist prior to taking it to the dealer the first time. That's the inconvenient truth about the current Dealership Model, as much as some people don't want to hear about it. Some mechanics (and no doubt dealerships) create sleeper problems for your vehicle, so that you keep coming back for "service."

I just did my first oil change (2017 CX-9 Signature) today at a brilliant DIY garage locally. I put the vehicle on a rack, hoisted it up and went to work. Used Amsoil 530 and an Amsoil filter. Spent a couple hours getting familiar with the undercar area and the engine bay today. Removed all the panels underneath, looked around and found that the CX-9 seems like a very well built/designed SUV. Everything seemed well organized underneath.

I will learn to do everything I possibly can do on this vehicle before ever putting in the hands of the dealer. Once it goes to the dealer, all bets are off because I just don't know what they are going to do to it behind my back. Moral? Find a dealer you can trust implicitly - if that is possible where you live. Else, find a mechanic locally who knows mazda well and who wants your business along with your trust.

When your rear cam displays screen, the mechanism that controls that function is firmware/code issue. If you've had a firmware update done by the dealership and they broke nothing else (which is my biggest fear when taking my vehicles to dealerships) then it should work.

Whenever your rear camera fails to display, you can do your own Manual Mazda Connect System Reset. Press the Start button to switch power on. Then, press the Command Controller, Volume Knob and Navigation Button simultaneously (all three together) for 10 seconds until the system initiates a reboot. Note: If you have a navigation SD car, remember to remove it before doing the manual restart of the system. After the system has rebooted, re-insert the navigation SD card and allow the nav data to load. Start the vehicle and put the selector in reverse.

Check to see that your rear cam is now visible on screen - this should be the case. Of course, it goes without saying that you will need to at least be able to access the interior of your vehicle in order to do this. Note: This same Manual Reset can be attempted if/when you run into a Nav screen that will not power down. Just make sure to remove the SD card before running the Manual Reset.

1. Ive had something similar happen to me once with my mazda 6. Key fob was unresponsive, had to crawl in through the trunk. Issue did not happen again.

2. If you happen to be holding the detent button when you shut off your car (the button that allows you to unlock the shift lever and move from gear to gear) while shutting off your car, your ignition/electronics will stay on but the engine shuts off. Maybe you did this by accident?

Anyways, check back the next day to see if everything is good with your car. If you still are having issues, change key fobs or change the battery in your current one. If that doesnt help, a trip to the dealer will be needed.

I would say just have them log the exact complain/issue for record so when it happens again down the road, you'll have more proof.

Your vehicle was in the care of the dealer. I've lost track of how many times I've taken other vehicle in the past to a dealer, only to then get my vehicle back with additional problems that did not exist prior to taking it to the dealer the first time. That's the inconvenient truth about the current Dealership Model, as much as some people don't want to hear about it. Some mechanics (and no doubt dealerships) create sleeper problems for your vehicle, so that you keep coming back for "service."

Problem nowadays, is that most new cars (beyond economy cars) are now just too advanced for anybody but the dealer to work on. Obviously excluding all the basic maintenance areas of the car - fluids, brakes, belts, exhaust, suspension, etc. You go to your neighborhood shop and tell them your Bluetooth isn't working or that your radar cruise control isn't functioning and see what they say. LOL.

Back