Rear main Possibly?

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003
So I need an opinion as soon as possible. I've discovered an oil leak between my engine and transmission, and I'm thinking it's my rear main seal going out. I'm not entirely sure though. Any other thoughts of what it might be?

Is it oil for sure and not tranny fluid? Doesn't really matter, either way, the tranny is coming out. Might as well have an input shaft seal ready to go too.

Is it oil for sure and not tranny fluid? Doesn't really matter, either way, the tranny is coming out. Might as well have an input shaft seal ready to go too.
Agreed, it sounds strange but have you smelled the oil? If it smells horrid ( sulfur additives) then you likely have gear oil ( assuming its a manual, I guess if its an auto it would be purple-ish being atf) .

Easiest to pull the motor/trans together and separate outside of the car. It's a lot of work, but as far as engine pulling goes it's a lot easier than most cars.

It's still very simple to drop the tranny without pulling the motor. Helps to have somebody around, but it doesn't weigh all that much. Ive bench pressed mine in and out by myself before.

It's still very simple to drop the tranny without pulling the motor. Helps to have somebody around, but it doesn't weigh all that much. Ive bench pressed mine in and out by myself before.
That is what is was going to say. Lol. slides right out, I used an ATV Jack to drop it out the wheel well. Much simpler, even if you pull the motor out with the tranny you will still have to seperate them. However don't do like I did and forget to unpin the shift lever ( equals fail... ).

Good luck !

So I just replace the rear main seal but it still leaks... I don't know if I could have screwed up the seal and I put the transmission back in. But is there any other place that I could be leaking where it looks like it has a rear main seal leak?

I found an oul stream running down from the starter, but I can't really see past the starter.

Oil pressure sensor? Valve cover? Is it coolant? My coolant neck leaks if I don't use rtv on the bolts for some reason. Could it be coolant?

It's oil, I took the small bottom bolt out on the bell housing. I must've done something wrong when installing the seal.

Could be the oil pressure sensor/turbo oil feed line, or it could be the rear main or oil pan seal itself. Could also be the trans input shaft seal. Most likely an engine oil leak if it is coming from the block.

that's cause you're jackie chan lol

Back