Just Bought a 2017 GT AWD - Love it but why such bad gas mileage?

How do you calculate your mpg? The way I do it to have the trip meter running, when I go to fill up with gas, I record the mileage since my last fill up (then reset), divide that by the amount of fuel put in and get the mpg (the gas station receipt has the amount of fuel sold). If you are using an app, it could be a problem with the algorithm's assumptions, or some other issue.

This is exactly how I calculate mileage. I have a little cardboard slide rule that BP was giving away, probably 20 yrs ago and it calculates the mileage this way. Funny thing is my wife got it when she had her 1989 Mazda 626.

This is exactly how I calculate mileage. I have a little cardboard slide rule that BP was giving away, probably 20 yrs ago and it calculates the mileage this way. Funny thing is my wife got it when she had her 1989 Mazda 626.

Picture for the young ones who might wonder what a slide rule is...
928502860_o.jpg

I am still on the dealers tank of gas. Since Mazda specifically spells out that the car can run on 87 octane, I'd imagine that's what they put in it. I'll try a tank of 93 next fill up.
MLC, I didn't mean a different octane level of fuel. Speedway is gas station like BP, Shell. Guess it is not in the west cost and you may not be familiar. Just try experimenting by filling in different gas stations, especially the ordinary ones. I clearly observed in Mazda3 while on a long drive. First filled in some random gas station. Got only 27mpg. Then filled at speedway, it immediately gave 33 mpg. After that mostly I fill in any speedway location and consistently get great mpg. It might sound silly, but worth trying:)

i just bought my Sig in july this year and honestly Im only averaging 17 mpg. That is 75/25 city/highway. It is not entirely the cars issue but more to do with the weather condition you live in. Here in central Cali we are tripled digits for almost half the year. Our turbo absolutely hates the hot air, resulting in less mpg. If you live in a cooler town or even by the coast you'll get better mpg. Another big issue someone mentioned is this car eats up lots of gas idling with the AC on while you wait for the kids at school or the wife doing a quick grocery stop and you chill in the in the car. The best I have gotten is 320 mpg on 17 gallons and that's because it was the first tank i drove home from the car dealer. The car dealer was 110 miles of highway from where i lived. Overall, I believe when I do do 50/50 city/highway I'll achieve at least 23 mpg, according to what I'm getting already. Yes, I still love this car and don't regret one bit. (spin)

i have noticed much better mileage when using cruise control (adaptive) on highway. in mixed 50 city/50 hwy driving we average 21-22 mpg but when i use the cruise control, i can easily bump it up into the mid-22's sometimes 23 if we do more hwy miles. but i agree that it is not the mileage i expected when i bought the car (still way better than our 09 CX-9 that it replaced averaging 16 mpg).

I noticed my mileage got much better after ~1500 km...Not sure if the ECM runs a different profile for a certain mileage for break in...Or if its just the engine breaking itself in.
I have almost got 30 mpg on a long, flat winding drive, mostly 2 lane roads at ~50 mph. At true highway speeds, I'm right at 26 mpg.
I don't live in a big city, so sitting in traffic isn't something I see.
1 year and ~13,000 km, combined mileage is at 23.5 MPG.

65-70mph about 30mpg
if u car can do it,u car its ok
Do not need to worry about the consumption of pure urban areas!
Too many factors

For what it's worth, I recently filled up with 87 octane rather than 91; I do notice a drop in peppiness and MPG (about 2-3 mpg) with 87 vs 91

Agreed with the adaptive cruise control on, I get better mileage; I thinking since throttle is controlled electronically, it's more accurate than my foot adjusting to speed up-slow down.

Last edited:
65-70mph about 30mpg Too many factors

There is no way you're getting this in New York. I've had 4 CX-9s and what we can agree on is that you're not gonna get the EPA stated highway mileage unless you drive a steady 50 mph. Who normally drives this way? Most interstates have a minimum speed of 50 mph and you will get many middle fingers if you drive this slow. One of my past CX-9s was on the FEDs list to Mazda for overstating their EPA mileage. Don't get me wrong, I love Mazdas but other manufacturers are getting this mileage with a v6. The CX-9 has torque but its very short lived, specially when you're passing at speed. Like I said in my previous post, my brand new Q7 with a V6 supercharged engine and weighs 4900 lbs is already getting better mileage than the CX-9 with its first tank of gas. 0 - 60 in 5.7 sec is at least 2.5 sec. faster than CX-9. Towing capacity is 7700 lbs. I'm just flbergasted how the CX-9 is struggling to get better mileage with a lighter car and a 4 banger.

For what it's worth, I recently filled up with 87 octane rather than 91; I do notice a difference in peppiness and MPG (about 2-3 mpg).

Agreed with the adaptive cruise control on, I get better mileage; I thinking since throttle is controlled electronically, it's more accurate than my foot adjusting to speed up-slow down.

I take it you mean that you get better mileage with 91 than 87? (drive)

2017 CX-9 Gas Mileage

Hey all,
After countless hours of research, I purchased a 2017 CX-9 GT AWD in Machine Grey this past Saturday. I really love the car, it's luxurious and has so many features. One question I have right now is about the gas mileage. I've already figured out that you need to keep your foot out of it if you want to see any decent mileage. I bought the car with about 100 miles on it. It now has about 250 miles on it, and I'm still only averaging 17.5mpg total. I used the fuel economy app on the way to work today and returned 19 mpg going to work and 18.5 going home all while babying it. I thought these cars were supposed to get low 20's mixed city/hwy? All my research on fuelly.com and elsewhere has led me to believe that claim. I figured I'd ask you all what you are getting in mixed stop and go/highway driving. Will my gas mileage improve when the motor breaks in and the computer learns to run the engine parameters based on historical data? I considered an F-150 in my new car search but since they got mid teens mpg wise I passed but this car doesn't seem to be far off. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

I also just purchased a CX-9. It is a 2016 certified CX-9 GT. The car has 12,000 miles and should be well broken-in. Over the last 8 weeks my combined city/hwy mpg is 18.6. I love the car but I thought I would be getting better mpg.

I also just purchased a CX-9. It is a 2016 certified CX-9 GT. The car has 12,000 miles and should be well broken-in. Over the last 8 weeks my combined city/hwy mpg is 18.6. I love the car but I thought I would be getting better mpg.

My wife's car has 10,0000 miles on it now and around town, she's getting 17 - 19 mpg. We've been on a couple of long trips and were getting 21- 23 on interstate if we stay below 70 mph. Most people here in the southeast almost always drive above 75 mph so we set the adaptive cruise at 76 mph and mileage is around 21 mpg highway. That's real world driving. Not driving like grandma or driving for maximum mileage. You shouldn't have to drive for mileage, it takes the fun out of driving. We traded in our perfectly fine 2013 GT because of the supposed better mpg but its no better than the V6 plus we lost the tilt adjustment for the driver seat making it hard to get truly comfortable. My wife is 5'-4" and when she raises the seat, it actually tilts forward. She typically never complains and just drives the car but she continuously reminds me of how it makes her feel like she's sliding forward on the seat.(no)

My wife's car has 10,0000 miles on it now and around town, she's getting 17 - 19 mpg. We've been on a couple of long trips and were getting 21- 23 on interstate if we stay below 70 mph. Most people here in the southeast almost always drive above 75 mph so we set the adaptive cruise at 76 mph and mileage is around 21 mpg highway. That's real world driving. Not driving like grandma or driving for maximum mileage. You shouldn't have to drive for mileage, it takes the fun out of driving. We traded in our perfectly fine 2013 GT because of the supposed better mpg but its no better than the V6 plus we lost the tilt adjustment for the driver seat making it hard to get truly comfortable. My wife is 5'-4" and when she raises the seat, it actually tilts forward. She typically never complains and just drives the car but she continuously reminds me of how it makes her feel like she's sliding forward on the seat.(no)

17 - 19 mpg city for '16 CX-9 ? this is surprising, I think something is off, I recommend having the dealer check it out.

I drove with my co-worker in his '16 CX-9 from NY to Buffalo about 500 mile trip and he was getting about 21 city / 26 highway

I get 15 city/ 19 highway with old '13 CX-9.....

17 - 19 mpg city for '16 CX-9 ? this is surprising, I think something is off, I recommend having the dealer check it out.

I drove with my co-worker in his '16 CX-9 from NY to Buffalo about 500 mile trip and he was getting about 21 city / 26 highway

I get 15 city/ 19 highway with old '13 CX-9.....

Nothing is wrong with the car (this is our 4th CX-9), no way you're getting that mileage unless its completely flat going less than 50 mph. Our 13' CX-9 got just a bit better than yours in suburban driving. Never got past 22 mpg on highway.

Highway I'll get 22-23 mpg if I avg 75mph. I'll get 24-25 mpg if I average 65mph, but that's a bit slow in the NE area...

City - hard to nail down - there is so much traffic in Boston, it's always stop and go. The past month, I've been getting 15 mpg combined average: 5 days a week, stop and go in highway and city and 2 days of weekend, traffic free

(My cx-9 is 5 months old with 5400 miles on it)

Highway I'll get 22-23 mpg if I avg 75mph. I'll get 24-25 mpg if I average 65mph, but that's a bit slow in the NE area...

City - hard to nail down - there is so much traffic in Boston, it's always stop and go. The past month, I've been getting 15 mpg combined average: 5 days a week, stop and go in highway and city and 2 days of weekend, traffic free

(My cx-9 is 5 months old with 5400 miles on it)

This seems correct. On our summer vacation to Florida from SC, on completely flat interstate, at 77 mph constant, we got 21 mpg calculating miles driven on a full tank. We do not use the overly optimistic gauge in the dash.

15 mpg combined for a four cylinder??? that's really surprising and not much improvement over gen 1 v6

I'm really surprised about the numbers I'm reading above, 15mpg is to low an average for the CX9 unless you live in Lima, Sao Paulo or new York. city numbers can change depending on traffic and city . one thing I can tell you. the cx9 has a better performance than the v6 s in he city , but it is only marginal, on the other hand , in highway the difference is greater, although we are only focusing on numbers, have u really driven the CX9? isn't it much more fun than it was with the v6? or any other suv in the same category? ull notice when u travel that it is much more efficient but also and more important, much more fun. we are getting used to reading the number and forgetting about the feeling. I really don't care if its 21mpg or 20 or 19 .. its so much better to drive in any circumstance and the 2.5t will live in the dust any v6 at 2000 ft altitude onwards..

jr tuareg, definitively your cx9 makes a difference between all the others here... something has to be off. perhaps the gas? or u like very much the torque feeling u have in low revs ;)

Hey all,
After countless hours of research, I purchased a 2017 CX-9 GT AWD in Machine Grey this past Saturday. I really love the car, it's luxurious and has so many features. One question I have right now is about the gas mileage. I've already figured out that you need to keep your foot out of it if you want to see any decent mileage. I bought the car with about 100 miles on it. It now has about 250 miles on it, and I'm still only averaging 17.5mpg total. I used the fuel economy app on the way to work today and returned 19 mpg going to work and 18.5 going home all while babying it. I thought these cars were supposed to get low 20's mixed city/hwy? All my research on fuelly.com and elsewhere has led me to believe that claim. I figured I'd ask you all what you are getting in mixed stop and go/highway driving. Will my gas mileage improve when the motor breaks in and the computer learns to run the engine parameters based on historical data? I considered an F-150 in my new car search but since they got mid teens mpg wise I passed but this car doesn't seem to be far off. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Mike,
I have owned the 2016 GT for about 8 months. I was originally getting about 19 mpg for all around driving. 70-30 hwy-city driving. Best hwy trip at 60 miles an hour was 30mpg. I have noticed that the cruise control drops mpg significantly. lately ,we are avg about 23 mpg. The mileage has slowly increased as the engine breaks in. We have about 10k on the odometer.

Back