Start-up hesitation

So my engine threw a rod bearing and now there is metal everywhere ... I have pulled the engine out and have it completely taken apart. I've come to the decision that I'm just going to replace it with a used longblock. I've been looking at JDM engines, is there anything I should know before I make my purchase?

What engine oil were you using? How do you drive the car?

I drive semi-hard, Castrol high mileage

In the future, I recommend a thicker more protective oil and just Easen up the driving style a little... you always wait until the engine is fully warm before revving it hard, correct? Always shift before redline.

Try 5w40 oil, particularly motul. Your bearings will thank you.

In the future, I recommend a thicker more protective oil and just Easen up the driving style a little... you always wait until the engine is fully warm before revving it hard, correct? Always shift before redline.

Try 5w40 oil, particularly motul. Your bearings will thank you.

Thanks for the info, I'll do that. I never bring the car to redline, I may drive hard but I'm not stupid lol. I bought the car for $900 so I already knew I was going to be fixing a lot of things, just not this. I don't want to clean out the engine because there is always going to be metal shavings in there that I'll never get out. On top of that, this engine apparently blew a rod or something before as there is a big chunk of metal missing on the plate that covers them above the oil pan. Crank has flat spots, cams are scarred pretty bad, among other things I've found as I dig into this thing that show it's been through a lot more then I was led on to.

Anyways, that's why I want to just swap out for a crate engine from japan, I'm just looking for some advice before I do that. If i get a crate motor, will I need a special catalytic converter? I had to do that with a Infiniti G20 I had a while back. Are all the 2.0L engines the same or do I need to make sure it's for a MSP? Any other info you guys can provide me with I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the info, I'll do that. I never bring the car to redline, I may drive hard but I'm not stupid lol. I bought the car for $900 so I already knew I was going to be fixing a lot of things, just not this. I don't want to clean out the engine because there is always going to be metal shavings in there that I'll never get out. On top of that, this engine apparently blew a rod or something before as there is a big chunk of metal missing on the plate that covers them above the oil pan. Crank has flat spots, cams are scarred pretty bad, among other things I've found as I dig into this thing that show it's been through a lot more then I was led on to.

Anyways, that's why I want to just swap out for a crate engine from japan, I'm just looking for some advice before I do that. If i get a crate motor, will I need a special catalytic converter? I had to do that with a Infiniti G20 I had a while back. Are all the 2.0L engines the same or do I need to make sure it's for a MSP? Any other info you guys can provide me with I'd greatly appreciate it.

Yea just swap a new motor in there. It shouldnt need a special converter. You can probably just swap the stock 2L from a protege 5 into there if you cant find a MSP motor.

Back