Front strut replacement - BILSTEIN B4 vs MONROE QUICK-STUT

cameradude

:
Mazda 5
Should I go with the BILSTEIN B4 or the MONROE QUICK-STRUT? The ease of Monroe's is a huge plus but just wondering if time and effort are worth it for the BILSTEIN? Any thoughts appreciated. The MONROE QUICK-STRUT also come with mount too.

Also, besides sway bar bushing and end bar links, what else should I do while i'm down there.

Let's see....
Should I drive a Porsche or a Kia Rio?

j/k. I didn't spring for the Bilsteins... or for the Koni FSDs.
It really depends on who drives, where, how, how much and what all drivers' expectations are. There really isn't much worse than to be a driver or passenger and HATE the ride because its not compliant in the way that one is used to in 99.9995% of all the cars one has been in. So yeah, there are limitations to what I was willing to do for my wife's Mazda5 that I drive often, but not primarily.

Let's see....
Should I drive a Porsche or a Kia Rio?

j/k. I didn't spring for the Bilsteins... or for the Koni FSDs.
It really depends on who drives, where, how, how much and what all drivers' expectations are. There really isn't much worse than to be a driver or passenger and HATE the ride because its not compliant in the way that one is used to in 99.9995% of all the cars one has been in. So yeah, there are limitations to what I was willing to do for my wife's Mazda5 that I drive often, but not primarily.

the bilstein b4 is not an aggressively valved strut. they are very durable replacements closer in comparison to german OEM equipment rather then Mazda's more fragile stuff.

OP, I would just replace all 4 struts with bilstein b6. may as well just do a refresh since you're taking apart the suspension. one new struts with 3 old ones wont feel right.

/\
Was that an answer?

lol

Do you want stock replacement or something with more aggressive valving?

if he wants something aggressively valved, he would need to get sportier springs as well. if he is staying within the limits of the bilstein b6 strut, then the OEM springs will do although I would refresh those as well.

Should I go with the BILSTEIN B4 or the MONROE QUICK-STRUT? The ease of Monroe's is a huge plus but just wondering if time and effort are worth it for the BILSTEIN? Any thoughts appreciated. The MONROE QUICK-STRUT also come with mount too.

Also, besides sway bar bushing and end bar links, what else should I do while i'm down there.

how long do you plan to keep the car?

Sounds like you'll be DIY; the difference in effort/time is not a big factor. However, all the accessories do add up $$. I would suggest at a minimum to get new front strut bearings. Depending on condition, the other part to replace is the jounce bumper (bump stop); everything else should be ok to reuse.

B4 are twin tubed, B6 are mono tubed, read bilsteins FAQs. There's also availability/compatibility issues with the B6 for Mz5. Get the B4 for stock springs (softly sprung and progressive) you need adequate/complementary travel to match it or you get this "jacking up" effect (not nice).

Last edited:
Back