Trunk mounted bike rack

:
2012 CX-9 Touring
Anyone fitted one? Do you put the top foot on the glass and the bottom one at the top of the licence plate or lower. Top foot on the metal by the logo and foot near the bottom of the trunk.

I've got the Allen 103DX

I had a hitch put on so that I could use a hitch mounted bike rack, I didn't want to risk damaging the car. I had the hitch put on at U-Haul and included the wiring harness, so if the need ever arises I can tow a light trailer (not that I plan to).

So here it is with the Allen Sports Deluxe Trunk Mount 3-Bike Carrier installed. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Super stable. Fits well.

cef64c0fa37ede18638b584cfff8a8e3.jpg

OMG.
I dread following vehicles like that on the highway. LOL
No disrespect, but that setup is a hazard IMHO.

Keep in mind that that top strap is flexing across a plastic spoiler - not good.

Like others, I installed a bolt-on hitch (under $130 DIY) and use a hitch mounted rack that I can literally stand on without worry.
A hitch could also be used for a cargo tray so you can get that bag off your roof as well.

Happy trails!

OMG.
I dread following vehicles like that on the highway. LOL
No disrespect, but that setup is a hazard IMHO.

Keep in mind that that top strap is flexing across a plastic spoiler - not good.

Like others, I installed a bolt-on hitch (under $130 DIY) and use a hitch mounted rack that I can literally stand on without worry.
A hitch could also be used for a cargo tray so you can get that bag off your roof as well.

Happy trails!
I get your concerns. That said, this one has elastic on the lower straps to absorb any flex. Also has the sway tethers on the sides.

Looking at it in the rear mirror it is not moving so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

A hitch mount would be a better option. Not sure how long this is remaining in the fleet though. Also timing and NYC pricing did not put this as a $130 option but a $300 solution.

Bought my Curt hitch on Amazon so no NYC pricing. Bolted on in 45 min.

I understand the fleet aging issue. I have come to the point where I am sick of plunking down thousands and am putting money into existing vehicles to make them what I want.

I have to laugh at the idiotic thread comments elsewhere comparing $43k 2017 vehicles to CX9's that once sold for under $30k out the door. $13k better for extended noses and unproven narrow tolerance 4 cylinders? Not... but then I digress.

I put off getting the hitch for years. I wish I hadn't.

Bought my Curt hitch on Amazon so no NYC pricing. Bolted on in 45 min.

I understand the fleet aging issue. I have come to the point where I am sick of plunking down thousands and am putting money into existing vehicles to make them what I want.

I have to laugh at the idiotic thread comments elsewhere comparing $43k 2017 vehicles to CX9's that once sold for under $30k out the door. $13k better for extended noses and unproven narrow tolerance 4 cylinders? Not... but then I digress.

I put off getting the hitch for years. I wish I hadn't.
Got a link for that hitch. I could do that myself.

I'm only $50 out for this rack. Amazon Warehouse.

The plastic around the rear high level stop light is pretty inflexible as well so there is that.

I have the following installed on my 2008 CX9 but check fitment on the Curt site for your vehicle.

Curt Class III hitch w/2" receiver - 13575 - $121
Easy install if you've ever bolted something on a car. LOL
Fits under bumper with no cutting unlike OEM.

Hollywood Racks HR200 - $180
Best part is that the bikes sit on their wheels, not their tubes. You can pay some crazy prices for plastic bike racks, so I chose function over style.

Towing needs:
Curt Wiring Harness ~$30 (maybe an hour to install...easy)
Reese 2179411 5" drop ball mount (4" rise when flipped to get you to 18" level for towing) - ~$20 (at local Walmart)
2" Trailer Ball - ~$10 (at local Walmart)

Renting a small trailer from UHaul is around $25 while renting a truck is way more and costs mileage. I got back the money for the towing stuff the first time I hauled some furniture in a trailer.

Have fun

Back