Transmission Service 2.5L Engine

Agreed. The past 2 Nissans I have owned had 250,000+ miles on them with the original transmission fluid and there were no transmission issues when I finally got rid of them. My 2011 bmw 328 has 142,000 flawless miles currently and I won't change it either. I am not stating it should not be done, just personally have no evidence that supports me for worrying and at this point trying to change it jarring any crud loose could actually be detrimental to its life. This and I love the challenge of a "lifetime" claim!

Every automatic I have had the fluid changed on (by the dealer) has failed shortly thereafter, or developed quirks. No Thanks.

someone over at the BMW forum changed their fluid for the first time at 150k miles and guess what?

no crud destroyed the transmission.

if you are worried about crud inside your trans, you are clearly not doing something right.

I changed the transmission fluid in my bmw at 67k miles, and oh what a difference it made... felt like a new transmission.

The quantifiable science behind BMW transmissions is to change their fluid before 90k. Ideally at 60k miles. If waiting after 100k miles its better to leave it alone. At that point the fluid's protective properties have long worn out. The "metal shavings" suspended in the fluid had gradually provide not just mechanical but protective properties! Removing the fluid with said "metal shavings" will quickly lead to transmission failure. That said you're left to wondering how long the transmission will last. It could go anytime.

OR

You can change the fluid before its properties wear out with new fluid and not have to worry about the future. Yes it costs time/money up front but like I said its cheap insurance in the long run. I guess one should ask how long they plan on keeping the car. If leasing then skip it. If wanting to own the car 10+ years then you'd want to maintain it.

Last edited:
The quantifiable science behind BMW transmissions is to change their fluid before 90k. Ideally at 60k miles. If waiting after 100k miles its better to leave it alone. At that point the fluid's protective properties have long worn out. The "metal shavings" suspended in the fluid had gradually provide not just mechanical but protective properties! Removing the fluid with said "metal shavings" will quickly lead to transmission failure. That said you're left to wondering how long the transmission will last. It could go anytime.

OR

You can change the fluid before its properties wear out with new fluid and not have to worry about the future. Yes it costs time/money up front but like I said its cheap insurance in the long run. I guess one should ask how long they plan on keeping the car. If leasing then skip it. If wanting to own the car 10+ years then you'd want to maintain it.

agreed. The transmission in my BMW felt thoroughly rejuvenated after changing the fluid at 67k. The old fluid was very dirty.

We will be doing the same with the Mazda at 60k.

Last edited:
Has someone actually tried contacting Mazda to ask about this? Would be interested to hear what they say.

Has someone actually tried contacting Mazda to ask about this? Would be interested to hear what they say.

Actually yes a few years ago when the Skyactiv engine came out..on a different forum I believe. Someone wrote to Mazda with regards to the Lifetime Transmission Fluid. Can't find the actual link to that discussion post but if my memory recalls correctly, the owner received a letter back stating to refer to his local dealership for a recommendation.

Also keep in mind there's a dip stick, drain plug, and service shop manual created by Mazda out there with instructions. Retailers and dealerships like Med Mazda sell the skyactiv ATF fluid, filter, washers, ect. There's reviews of such products on Amazon. There's discussions of this on numerous websites out there. There's pictures and maybe even youtube videos of the process now. Peole have been submitting skyactiv tranny fluid for oil analysis. Nothing new here. Owners and dealerships have been changing skyactiv tranny fluid for years now.

If you think about it the only folks will not change the fluid are those clamoring to the "lifetime fluid" disclaimer. Sorry but I plan on keeping my car past the power train warranty aka 60k miles. The term "lifetime fluid" = warranty period in a court of law. Think about it. If your transmission failed due to the lifetime fluid being worn at 100,000 miles can you sue the car manufacturer? nope. So much for the lifetime term.

someone over at the BMW forum changed their fluid for the first time at 150k miles and guess what?

no crud destroyed the transmission.

if you are worried about crud inside your trans, you are clearly not doing something right.

I changed the transmission fluid in my bmw at 67k miles, and oh what a difference it made... felt like a new transmission.

I am not worried about crud lol. How did it feel like a new transmission? Mine still shifts just as good as the day I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually yes a few years ago when the Skyactiv engine came out..on a different forum I believe. Someone wrote to Mazda with regards to the Lifetime Transmission Fluid. Can't find the actual link to that discussion post but if my memory recalls correctly, the owner received a letter back stating to refer to his local dealership for a recommendation.

Also keep in mind there's a dip stick, drain plug, and service shop manual created by Mazda out there with instructions. Retailers and dealerships like Med Mazda sell the skyactiv ATF fluid, filter, washers, ect. There's reviews of such products on Amazon. There's discussions of this on numerous websites out there. There's pictures and maybe even youtube videos of the process now. Peole have been submitting skyactiv tranny fluid for oil analysis. Nothing new here. Owners and dealerships have been changing skyactiv tranny fluid for years now.

If you think about it the only folks will not change the fluid are those clamoring to the "lifetime fluid" disclaimer. Sorry but I plan on keeping my car past the power train warranty aka 60k miles. The term "lifetime fluid" = warranty period in a court of law. Think about it. If your transmission failed due to the lifetime fluid being worn at 100,000 miles can you sue the car manufacturer? nope. So much for the lifetime term.
Thanks for the info. Mazda is no help then LOL. Doesn't sound like Mazda wants to enforce a maintenance interval on it to allow dealers to offer transmission flush services earlier.

I'm not planning on keeping our CX-5 past 100k miles. And the transmission on our car has already been replaced under warranty, so I'm not inclined to mess with it until the powertrain warranty runs out.

I change the fluid on 30K/15K(afterward) schedule.
To each ones own.
The common rule is: if you don't change your fluid at all, and it has more than 60k on it, leave it as is.
Flushing it might cause more problem right after doing so.

Mazda dealers do offer transmission fluid change for $130.
Yes, it feels better afterward.
Dealer uses a suction device to get to the fluid in torque converter also.
They do not just do drain and refill.
I have done so to my BMW and all three Mazdas I have own. Not a single one failed yet....

The key is: you either change fluid regularly, or don't do it at all.
Do not flush it.

I have a 2016, and when I talked to the dealership about flushing the transmission around 30,000, I was told that the CX-5 has a sealed transmission and should not be serviced unless there was a problem. I have a feeling that considering how much upselling they try to do every time I get my oil changed, if they could offer me a transmission service they would.
This is also what our salesman told me when he was handing over the car to us. He said if the service advisors try to get me to do a transmission flush on our 2016 CX-5, don't listen to them because the car has a sealed transmission. He said if I really wanted to, I should consider doing the flush after 100k miles.
SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission definitely is not a "sealed" transmission as it has a dipstick and drain plug. And you can't "flush" the transmission due to the design without ATF lines going to a ATF cooler inside of the radiator like others do. Drain-and-fill is the only way to "change" the ATF.

To each ones own.
The common rule is: if you don't change your fluid at all, and it has more than 60k on it, leave it as is.

I have done so to my BMW and all three Mazdas I have own. Not a single one failed yet....

Do not flush it.
No Mazda dealers or transmission shops can flush a SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission with thier ATF flushing machine as there's no ATF lines to hook up.

I really would like to know how did your Mazda dealer "uses a suction device to get to the fluid in torque converter"! If your dealer really applied some magic and sucked all ATF out of the torque converter, the cost of 8.2 quarts Mazda ATF FZ ($14.89 / quart list) for refill along is close to $130! (boom04)

The only way you get those ATF out of a torque converter I've seen is drilling a hole on it and plug it from a transmission shop. Do you really want to do that though? :)

Where is the oil filter for the transmission?
Watch the video and you'll see it ⋯. It's a cartridge type indicated #5 in the part diagram below:
5470202.gif

One reason stopping many to change the ATF filter cartridge is because there's no ATF pan gasket. It's a little tricky to use sealer for ATF pan.

BMW is a good example of all these marketing Schemes.

All these manufacturers care about is

A. Increasing drivetrain wear In hopes that you will take your car to the dealer for some overpriced servicing

B. Increasing efficiency and lowering emissions production.

For example, BMW recommends 0w oil and Very length 15k oil change intervals while running at a very high temp which destroys this bad oil and leads to quicker engine wear. They recommend that the fluid is lifetime for the transmission to fail quicker, just like Mazda is doing.

0w20 oil is used to raise corporate average fuel economy (CAFE standards) to satisfy the government. This oil offers barely enough protection to get your car through the warranty period. Then, conveniently enough your engine explodes and hopefully you head over to the dealer for a very expensive replacement.

Don't fall for all this bulls*** people! Maintain your cars!

Anyways, going back to the topic at hand here. How do I check the fluid and what sort of fluid should I use at the 60k mark? I am thinking of using something high quality like redline or pentosin oil.

Thanks

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/05/12/pennzoil-is-now-the-recommended-oil-for-bmw-engines/

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
Test data starts about 1/4 down the page.

There is no recommended change interval for the unusual FZ transmission oil. I did a drain and refill at 40k purely as a point of overkill.

Last edited:
Watch the video and you'll see it ⋯. It's a cartridge type indicated #5 in the part diagram below:
5470202.gif

One reason stopping many to change the ATF filter cartridge is because there's no ATF pan gasket. It's a little tricky to use sealer for ATF pan.

Nah, that's SOP with Jeep Grand Cherokee HEMI, and it's a recommended service that dealers actually perform. The Mazda isn't, and my local dealer hasn't done a single transmission fluid change on a CX5. I checked the other day. NADA. DOES NOT DO.

To each ones own.

Do not flush it.

That's the key. If you do it at a higher mileage there's such a thing as "shocking" the trans into failure with fresh fluid. If you're going to do it at all it's best to start a maintenance cycle at a lower mileage.

Mazda saying that it does not need to be changed is correct in a sense that they are confident the fluid will last the life of the powertrain warranty. Its likely a synthetic oil designed to last through 60k miles.

Imagine if all car manufacturers have a 1-year warranty on the engine. They can market "lifetime oil" for the engine oil and also state it does not need to be changed. They cannot get sued as they have no legal obligations past the 1-year period which is the life of their obligations. Definitely not the life of the car. Their recommendation to the consumer is "nope do not touch it". Keep in mind there's some good engine oils out there designed to last 1 year....and maybe even more.

Perhaps those with Kia/Hyundai's could chime in? Don't they have 10-year 100,000 mile powertrain warranties? That's well past the life of transmission fluids. I'm 999.99991234 percent sure they not only change their tranny fluids but get recommendations by dealerships. Kia def does not want to spend a couple G's replacing trannies vs at transmission fluid service that would allow the customer to get to 100k upon which Kia is out of the red.

^^But Mazda is fine with customers having transmission failures starting idk @80k, 100k, rampant by 120+k? I hear what you guys are saying but I'm gonna roll with what they tell me- if it fails and they do nothing after me screaming at everyone about wtf do you tell ppl not to change/flush the atf (assuming I'm not an anomaly) then I won't buy another one. I highly doubt they want that.

Most Kia dealers go by the Severe Maintenance schedule where tranny fluid is changed at 20K miles but many owners are doing it around 30-40K miles. There were comments like - I dont want to be denied warranty claims etc. which means Kia does recommend it and in case of any failure down the road might deny claims.
But the non severe maintenance calls for Transmission Fluid change at 105K miles. Lol.

Single thing that worries me most about my CX5 is the transmission. I dont know if it will last 200K miles.

That's the key. If you do it at a higher mileage there's such a thing as "shocking" the trans into failure with fresh fluid. If you're going to do it at all it's best to start a maintenance cycle at a lower mileage.

Not true. People have changed the fluid before at triple the mileage with no issues.

Most Kia dealers go by the Severe Maintenance schedule where tranny fluid is changed at 20K miles but many owners are doing it around 30-40K miles. There were comments like - I dont want to be denied warranty claims etc. which means Kia does recommend it and in case of any failure down the road might deny claims.
But the non severe maintenance calls for Transmission Fluid change at 105K miles. Lol.

Single thing that worries me most about my CX5 is the transmission. I dont know if it will last 200K miles.

With regular fluid servicing it will last provided that the transmission was babied when new.

Latest posts

Back