How to turn radio off in 2017 CX-5 GT Premium?

:
2020 CX5 GT Res
New car yesterday & read manual but no mention of how to turn OFF (Bose) audio. For now, I've found the mute knob & wonder if that's all one can do?

There is nothing to turn off.

You can do as you have done and mute or turn down the volume on the radio.

The infotainment is always going to be on and running and powering your rear view camera, Bluetooth, GPS, and the different software applications for the car features and settings.

Last edited:
This is indeed correct. Since the inception of MZD, there has never been an off button.

Mute works generally bit sometimes when you start the car, the mute is cancelled and the sound comes on.

I always turn the volume to zero (either via the button on the steering wheel or the volume dial on the centre console) so as to best avoid this problem

This was the main question on Day 2 of my ownership. I searched all over but couldn't figure out how to turn the radio off. Pretty used to it now but apparently the mute/volume knob is multi-function. Turn down the volume for music but it doesn't affect the volume for other audio functions until you switch to that function.

Tks all! Mute it is then! But I was a bit miffed when I got car back after remote starter install today because once on the highway, when I pushed the mute button, my channel I had been listening to (60's) had been changed to loud rap type music. I couldn't change it as I not yet good at all functions. I certainly didn't think they would be listening to my radio while installing the remote starter! Worse is they installed the wrong one (the remote selection was of 2 types with a fob. One uses original fob so there's no 2nd fob; the other is a separate square, old-fashioned-looking flat squarish black thing with a metal antennae (which I certainly didn't want). Thankfully, 4 of their people were involved with the selection & they all knew someone screwed up. So 3 1/2 hours later I was handed the one with the antennae! So back I go this Thurs. They said they feel bad so they'll give me a loaner for the 5-6 hrs it will take to uninstall/reinstall. I just got home & when I backed into my prking spot, with a/c running, the vents began to bring in a burning oil smell. We've had car for 3 days & I drove it briefly twice, backing into my spot with a/c on both times & there was no smell. Now I wonder if something got "hurt" during this "bad" install today. Between the time factor, the listening to the radio and then installing wrong remote starter, anything is possible..:(

Last edited:
Get them to do a thorough check of all the systems and get a written report that also includes all things that you requested to be done have been done

Mute is simply just that - being Mute. Sadly if playing a CD or USB the mute doesn't stop the device from continuing to play, if you try it with a CD and listen carefully you will hear it spinning in the background. So if you press mute whilst in conversation, then press again an hour later you won't continue where you left off, you're then a long way ahead in whatever you were listening to. I make a point of switching to DAB radio then mute.

Mute is simply just that - being Mute. Sadly if playing a CD or USB the mute doesn't stop the device from continuing to play, if you try it with a CD and listen carefully you will hear it spinning in the background. So if you press mute whilst in conversation, then press again an hour later you won't continue where you left off, you're then a long way ahead in whatever you were listening to. I make a point of switching to DAB radio then mute.
Where is your 2017 CX-5 CD player located?

So both Japan, and UK get a CD player? What about Australia?

Where is your 2017 CX-5 CD player located?

So both Japan, and UK get a CD player? What about Australia?
Yep UK or most EU countries has CD player in 2nd-gen CX-5. Japan has DVD player but Australia has none like in the US. (notcool)

attachment.php

IMG_9824.PNG

I wonder if the CD player can be retrofitted to the 2017 US model? Obviously, the player itself and the front of the dash would need to be replaced. No idea about the internal wiring - perhaps just plug-n-play? Yeah, I'm an older dude which a large CD collection :)

I wonder if the CD player can be retrofitted to the 2017 US model? Obviously, the player itself and the front of the dash would need to be replaced. No idea about the internal wiring - perhaps just plug-n-play? Yeah, I'm an older dude which a large CD collection :)
Maybe hook up a portable CD player instead (uhm)

I've done some unfortunately the sound quality is not as good as original CD's!

Use a higher bit rate.

To expand on this... if you buy a 32 gb memory stick - $10 on amazon currently - you can fit almost 55 hours of CD full bit rate music on it. If you go to 320 kbps you can fit 238 hours. That is a lot of albums.

Last edited:
What's the highest quality audio file the Mazda connect infotainment system can play without any mods?

Will it play uncompressed WAV files?

Rip that stuff and put hundreds on single memory stick.

Less mechanical parts in the audio is better. less chance to have issues with cd motor, or laser actuator mechanism. Just connect a 32GB of mp3 files and you are done. Or use spotify instead. Welcome to the future!

Back