Stroller behind 3rd Row?

Hey SK77X,

You've got the right idea. I am amazed how many Americans don't embrace this mentality more often.
Granted some people really need tons of space if they have 4 kids, play hockey, or just haul stuff all the time...
But for most of us, 90% of the time what do we really need to carry around?
- the roof rack is ideal, since you use it only when needed. I am considering the THULE cargo basket for our next trip.
I'd be willing to bet my family of 4 (2 kids), could get by on a day to day basis with a Mazda 3 or CX-3, with a roof rack for cargo when needed.
Less gas, easier parking, etc.

Otherwise, I wish Mazda would make the 3rd row an OPTION. We barely use it. I'd rather have the space than a folded down 3rd row.

Yep I got by with 2 row 5 seat vehicles for years with 3 kids. No problem. Some fairly small 5 seat vehicles at that.

Search "umbrella stroller" and there is your answer. Those will fit in almost any vehicle. The Escalladification of the stroller is the real problem here. Not lack of trunk space in the cx9. Yes it has a tiny trunk, but its not a problem. Least not for me. Maybe for some. Have you seen how gigantic some of the new strollers are? Its crazy. Yeah don't buy those.

Yes the CX9 does not use space in the most efficient way. I'm ok with that. And look at it. It looks good. Like it looks really really gooood. Look at that long hood with all that wasted space above it. That looks good. If you think about it, taken to its logical extreme the most efficient space per wheelbase inch is a van. Do you want to drive a square van every day? Maybe. If so I'm ok with that too. I've done that and it worked out fine. Vans are awesome.

Yep I got by with 2 row 5 seat vehicles for years with 3 kids. No problem. Some fairly small 5 seat vehicles at that.

Search "umbrella stroller" and there is your answer. Those will fit in almost any vehicle. The Escalladification of the stroller is the real problem here. Not lack of trunk space in the cx9. Yes it has a tiny trunk, but its not a problem. Least not for me. Maybe for some. Have you seen how gigantic some of the new strollers are? Its crazy. Yeah don't buy those.

Yes the CX9 does not use space in the most efficient way. I'm ok with that. And look at it. It looks good. Like it looks really really gooood. Look at that long hood with all that wasted space above it. That looks good. If you think about it, taken to its logical extreme the most efficient space per wheelbase inch is a van. Do you want to drive a square van every day? Maybe. If so I'm ok with that too. I've done that and it worked out fine. Vans are awesome.
They way I see it you live in a city or walking town and need a escalade stroller and a smaller car or you live in the 'burbs or further and need a car and umbrella stroller.

Both is just, well, American.

We have 5 kids (7,5,3,2, and 1). Trunk space was a huge concern of ours, with stroller space being top priority. With 3 kids in boosters and 2 in full size car seats, we don’t have much room to spare. When it came to storing a stroller in the trunk, we had to think minimalist. My wife, being a connoisseur of strollers (she’s probably had 20 over the years, no joke), decided to finally splurge on the Uppa Baby Cruze. It’s not cheap, but it’s an amazing stroller that fits in the trunk of the CX9 when on its side. And if you’re concerned about the wheel making contact with the rear window when closed, the wheels pop on and off in one click. My wife usually hauls the kids around in our Odyssey so if we need to bring more things with us or take the BOB double jogging stroller that’s a behemoth, we rock the Honda. But when it’s just us and the little people and we don’t need the double stroller, we enjoy the zoom zoom with the Uppa Baby Cruz in the trunk just fine! Hope this helps! I’ll take pics next time if you’d like to see for preference. And I’m probably going to purchase a Yakima Cargo Roof Box in the near future so we can take the Mazda even more since we love it so much!

Back