2017 Mazda CX5 - America's Best Crossover

If you own a 2016 or Older CX5 and were in the market now - would you buy a 17?

• I own an older CX5 and would buy a 17 or I own a 17 and am happy

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Would not buy a CX5 because need different segment car

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Would not buy a CX5, would buy a competitor

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I own a 17 and would not rebuy if I had to buy today

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed that feature to feature 2017 is clearly superior. For me it's the little things. I like my gated shifter. I like the swoop.

And since I have a no packages Touring because I wanted simple, the feature comparison is less of a concern to me then how it looks/drives.

2017 is a great car. Just not for me.

It has smart collision avoidance system in Touring. A ton more features too.

The 2017 is growing on me overall, minus a few nitpicks. There's a white GT at work I walk past every day. Plus most of what I dislike is on the outside, so I'd never have to see it while driving.

I'm open to revisiting Mazda again down the road. But I'm hoping I'm good for 5-10 years.

If my 2016 CX-5 were to be eaten by a sci-fi character as suggested, and I did have a fat wallet, the F-Pace would be my choice for a replacement. If I had my same wallet as now, I would probably look harder at the base model CX-9.

The point Alex made in the video is pretty straight forward :
On Paper the CRV looks good, but the smile Mazda puts on his face - its really more fun to drive.
Very good endorsement for Mazda - but the amazing part is Diesel will stomp all models in this segment with its FE and still be fun to drive and still will be able to a tow a CRV on it. That Diesel is this years bet but its good to see 17 doing great.
Yrwei - if you are still looking to replace your CX5, the 17 with a lower trim might do the trick.

I never sat in a CRV and probably never will drive one - but one complain I keep hearing is the amount of plastic and the tacky interior. So many buttons push the image down. Plastic buttons on steering wheels - another big complaint. It is so sad that a fully refreshed vehicle is still hated more than a Dated Rav4 interior which is not great but does not do a lot of wrong.

I never sat in a CRV and probably never will drive one - but one complain I keep hearing is the amount of plastic and the tacky interior. So many buttons push the image down. Plastic buttons on steering wheels - another big complaint. It is so sad that a fully refreshed vehicle is still hated more than a Dated Rav4 interior which is not great but does not do a lot of wrong.

Upside to doing so..you'll likely have a newfound appreciation for your CX-5- inside and out, certainly post test drive unless you're unconscious;)--quite possible if you go for more than idk 10-15 minutes+

Last edited:
On mobile. Can't see poll. No question I'd get a 17 today. But the 16 still looks better. Imo. And my DRLs work like they should. [emoji23]

Last edited:
Dammit, I voted wrong (you'd think I was American or something :p). I misread the option and voted for "I own a 17 and would not rebuy if I had to buy today" in error... so subtract one from that tally :)

Dammit, I voted wrong (you'd think I was American or something :p). I misread the option and voted for "I own a 17 and would not rebuy if I had to buy today" in error... so subtract one from that tally :)

I was going to ask who voted that. Lol. No cookies for you Joe.

Since I will be in the market soon, I am looking for a cross over that has zoom zoom and doesn't just say the words. No big deal if you drive in the city all the time, but if you consistently do battle with the highway world this engine just doesn't cut the mustard. Great handling without power = no fun, and no safe feeling to quickly avoid idiots. If this is all you drive you probably get used to it's limitations, if you drive the same roads with something with more unph and flip back and forth you realize your stuck in grandma mode with the CX5 or many other Cross overs. There's a market for this and for me I wish Mazda would participate. Nissan is trying with the Rogue, but the "sport" version is slower than the CX5! Yes I will probably never buy a 4 cylinder anything again unless it's powered by a turbo and has show, handling, and go. I know I am just in the minority, as the sales figures of slow cross overs don't support my opinion!

If it was 17 i'd pass on its boring looks. I know the forester is not exactly exciting to look at either but for my needs i'd buy it over a 17. It was the looks of the pre 17 that got me into liking the cx-5 and they took that all away.

Since I will be in the market soon, I am looking for a cross over that has zoom zoom and doesn't just say the words. No big deal if you drive in the city all the time, but if you consistently do battle with the highway world this engine just doesn't cut the mustard. Great handling without power = no fun, and no safe feeling to quickly avoid idiots. If this is all you drive you probably get used to it's limitations, if you drive the same roads with something with more unph and flip back and forth you realize your stuck in grandma mode with the CX5 or many other Cross overs. There's a market for this and for me I wish Mazda would participate. Nissan is trying with the Rogue, but the "sport" version is slower than the CX5! Yes I will probably never buy a 4 cylinder anything again unless it's powered by a turbo and has show, handling, and go. I know I am just in the minority, as the sales figures of slow cross overs don't support my opinion!

If you have the patience, wait for the new Forester. I drove the existing Forester XT and it is a very fun CUV to drive due to it's power, didn't get one though due to it's dated looks. The new model has been spotted in testing, and will surely improve in the existing Forester.

I was in the market and did buy the 17 for all the mentions previously. Fun to drive. Style appeals to me and the price was right. Only major complaint is the lack of Android Auto. Renders the navigation pretty much DOA.

Intellectually I wish it had a bigger engine or a TN least a turbo but it there haven't been many times where I thought that while driving.

Back