2017 Mazda 3 GT Sport - Engine dies on hard acceleration and goes in to limp mode WTF

Genchinov

:
2017 Mazda 3 GT Sport
Hi all,
I'm new here and new to Mazdas (sold my Audi A3 TDI back to VW for way more than it was worth (dance) ). Overall I really love my 3 GT Sport hatch automatic. It has 20,250 km and was running just fine until last weekend when I popped it into sport mode and gunned it off the line - pedal mashed to the kick down position (all the way). I've done this before, not often, but never had an issue. This time as I hit 4,500 rpm the engine and revs started sputtering and jerking the car, as it got to about 5,000 RPM the engine seemed to suddenly shut down and then go into limp mode where it wouldn't go above 2,000 RPM and no faster than about 35 km and it was very jerky and rough idle even while going 35km to get off the road. As soon as the car went into limp mode the dash was flashing warning lights like crazy - the engine light flashed yellow, the tire pressure light flashed yellow and the pre collision warning system lights were solid and the triangle with an exclamation mark light was also solid.

Once I pulled off the road I shut down and waited a couple min and then restarted with no problems and no warning lights on dash - car drives perfectly normal. Problem is it keeps shutting down and going into limp mode with warning lights etc every time I accelerate hard (not even WOT pedal position). I can easily replicate it if need be by mashing the pedal and getting the revs up above 4,500 RPM. Its very dangerous as its now happened to me three times on the highway at speeds of over 120 km/h while trying to pass another vehicle. Complete loss of power - in the passing lane!! This happens both in regular drive mode and sport mode as well as in manual-shift mode.

The car is under full warranty and its going in on Monday, but I was wondering if anybody has heard of or had this issue in the brand new 2017 3's? I'm guessing it could be a sensor issue or maybe a faulty ignition coil - but really I have no clue.

Thanks for any insights
Mike

The first thing I would do is pop the hood and take a good, hard look at the connectors, spark plug wire-to-spark plug and coil tightness, as well as vacuum hoses.
of course, a faulty ignition coil may be impossible to diagnose without the proper tools, but at least the obvious (potential) culprits can be examined for physical clues.

its a 2017, take it by the dealership sounds like a computer problem, or water in your connectors or something they should deal with.

GJ-Molestor It was an ignition coil issue. Faulty coil replaced and everything is running smooth again.

thx all.

Back