Drove 'em all, going with CX-5

Not for aggressive driving. The coating is not thick enough to protect your drivetrain from high stress, especially not that Mobil 1 garbage people use.

My engine felt far smoother and more refined with 5w30 liqui moly. Oil consumption has dropped from 1L every 9000km to every 15,000km. Engine sounds exactly the same on cold starts if not better.

Specifically what oil are you referencing, as I believe the Mazda moly is a 20 weight?

Spring mountain uses 5-30 m1 in their corvettes. They typically put 5 to 10 thousand track and paddock miles on them. When I went in 2011, they had not yet lost a single motor. So it must do okay?

Which proves that all this EPA rating and the way they tune the cars is just a load of horse crap. They game it HARD. Companies have learned how to do this, and it's why my other vehicles allowed me to surpass EPA highway mile per gallon doing 75-80, while the CX5 flounders, even doing 70. It's like a brother holding his finger 1mm from his sister saying "I'm not touching you!" in the back seat of the car vs. sitting there like he should with his hands in his lap. Both claim to be the same...they aren't.

Uno, you have to be the exception and anomaly amongst CX-5 owners with mpg...my 2010 Mazda 5 which was roughly the same size and weight as the CX-5 with its old outdated 2.3 155HP MZR motor routinely delivered 26 to 28 mpg's over the 120K miles I put on it, and I dogged the crap out of it. Worst I ever got in it was 24 mpg's and that was with a lot of aggressive high rpm shifting and driving 80 plus on expressway...my CX-5 is way more fuel efficient and I drive it the same way.

That's what I said in my OP. In fact, it will probably be a 2018 model due to various other factors. Mazda might just hold off introducing it until the actual model year changeover as a "new feature". Besides, it takes a while to make a change like this in a factory with the various lead times, so why introduce it at the end of a model year. And even if it can be offered retroactively to existing Infotainment owners, it will probably be a small percentage who care enough about it.

Or it could be you just got lied to by the salesman and they have no intention of ever bring CarPlay/AA to any of Mazda vehicles. 2+ years now we've been hearing stories on these forums about Mazda salesmen telling their customers, 'its coming this fall, next month' etc...enjoy your new vehicle just don't bank on these features coming to a Mazda anytime soon.

Drove 'em all, giong with CX-5

Anyway, I have been looking at and driving about every vehicle in the compact SUV class over the past few weeks and found almost nothing that met my requirements. For example:

• Forester:
  • Honda CR-V:
  • New VW Tiguan:
  • Hyundai Santa Fe Sport:
  • Hyundai Tucson:
  • 2018 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain:
  • 2018 Outback!
And that's my story to this point: coming full circle back to Mazda!
"Drove 'em all, giong with CX-5"?

No, you haven't even touched the top 2 selling Toyota RAV4、Nissan Rogue and the number 4 Ford Escape compact CUVs yet, so do test-drive those and figure out why most Americans love those compact CUVs ⋯ (whistle)

Compact CUVs
US Sales
July 2017June 2017MoM % Change
Toyota RAV441,80434,120+22.5%
Nissan Rogue32,42534,349-5.6%
Honda CR-V31,76128,342+12.1%
Ford Escape27,71627,151+2.1%
Subaru Outback17,581 14,019+25.4%
Subaru Forester15,28315,440-1.0%
Jeep Cherokee11,81811,895-0.6%
Mazda CX-511,4029,550+19.4%
Hyundai Tucson11,25710,000+12.6%
Kia Sportage7,1358,519-16.2%
Chevrolet EquinoxN/A29,182

No, you haven't even touched the top 2 selling Toyota RAV4、Nissan Rogue and the number 4 Ford Escape compact CUVs yet, so do test-drive those and figure out why most Americans love those compact CUVs ⋯ (whistle)

I can tell believe the cx5 is being outsold by a jeep. ******* shameful.

The Toyota and Nissan are worth looking into, but may as well scrap the Ford Escape because it's essentially a Mazda with Ford sheet metal and a Ford badge tacked on.

Rav4 hasn't been refreshed since I stopped wearing diapers. I think these are fleet sales + strong summer sales event.
On Nissan... Even good YouTube reviewers are quoting discounts offered. Which never used to happen. Remember the dude who got 17% off a new Rogue. That discount is still not easily available on 2016s.

The Toyota and Nissan are worth looking into, but may as well scrap the Ford Escape because it's essentially a Mazda with Ford sheet metal and a Ford badge tacked on.

The Ford Escape has nothing to do with Mazda.

You can believe that if you want to :)

I just looked up the chassis, so I'm not sure if the chassis is shared with Mazda, but the ecoboost 2.0 is a Mazda L engine essentially turned into an "ecoboost" turbo engine by Ford.

Since you won't believe me, I urge you to study the layout of Ford engines bays and compare them to Mazda's.

Last edited:
Uno, you have to be the exception and anomaly amongst CX-5 owners with mpg...my 2010 Mazda 5 which was roughly the same size and weight as the CX-5 with its old outdated 2.3 155HP MZR motor routinely delivered 26 to 28 mpg's over the 120K miles I put on it, and I dogged the crap out of it. Worst I ever got in it was 24 mpg's and that was with a lot of aggressive high rpm shifting and driving 80 plus on expressway...my CX-5 is way more fuel efficient and I drive it the same way.

Who knows? I did read that the tires I have are a bit bad for mpg in exchange for traction and ride comfort, and at 80mph, that matters a lot (rotating weight/rolling res.), so I am hoping maybe when I change out and upgrade to current leading product (Michelin ATX Premium, I think?) next year, I will notice a mpg boost, too.

Drove 'em all, giong with CX-5

⋯ but may as well scrap the Ford Escape because it's essentially a Mazda with Ford sheet metal and a Ford badge tacked on.
Agreed. The 1st-gen US Ford Escapr may have very close relation with Mazda Tribute, but the 2nd-gen US Escape was design and engineering by Ford on restyled hanging panels and a redesigned interior. The 3rd-gen US Escape released as 2013 MY is a rebadged Ford Kuga designed by Ford in Europe which has nothing to do with Mazda.

The Ford Kuga follows on from the Vertrek concept, developed at Fords Cologne design studio in Germany. For the production model, designers and engineers in Cologne were responsible for the body design and C1 platform, the upper body and interior come from Detroit, and powertrains are manufactured by Ford Dagenham. While the optional Ford EcoBoost 2.0 in Escape is the same family with Mazda L-series, but the base EcoBoost 1.5L used in Escape are Ford Sigma family designed by Ford with some help from Yamaha.

Jeeps are the best equipped vehicles for the money on the road. You trade reliability for nice, on the money. People who keep a car 2 to 4 years often gravitate toward the nicer equipped vehicle.

Agreed. The 1st-gen US Ford Escapr may have very close relation with Mazda Tribute, but the 2nd-gen US Escape was design and engineering by Ford on restyled hanging panels and a redesigned interior. The 3rd-gen US Escape released as 2013 MY is a rebadged Ford Kuga designed by Ford in Europe which has nothing to do with Mazda.

The Ford Kuga follows on from the Vertrek concept, developed at Fords Cologne design studio in Germany. For the production model, designers and engineers in Cologne were responsible for the body design and C1 platform, the upper body and interior come from Detroit, and powertrains are manufactured by Ford Dagenham. While the optional Ford EcoBoost 2.0 in Escape is the same family with Mazda L-series, but the base EcoBoost 1.5L used in Escape are Ford Sigma family designed by Ford with some help from Yamaha.

Thanks for the correction on the chassis. Some of Ford vehicles ride on the Mazda derived CD3 and CD4 chassis which is why I was confused. Ford vehicles are just about the furthest thing from American.

The ecoboost 3.5 is derived from the Mazda MZI, while the 2.3 is the MZR, or turbo L engine.

So what has Ford actually built themselves? As far as I could tell, absolutely nothing.

I wonder who makes the coyote v8?

Thanks for the correction on the chassis. Some of Ford vehicles ride on the Mazda derived CD3 and CD4 chassis which is why I was confused. Ford vehicles are just about the furthest thing from American.

The ecoboost 3.5 is derived from the Mazda MZI, while the 2.3 is the MZR, or turbo L engine.

So what has Ford actually built themselves? As far as I could tell, absolutely nothing.

I wonder who makes the coyote v8?

Ford makes it in 'Murica.

Jeeps are the best equipped vehicles for the money on the road. You trade reliability for nice, on the money. People who keep a car 2 to 4 years often gravitate toward the nicer equipped vehicle.

That doesn't change the fact that you're driving one of the most poorly designed vehicles on the road right down there with GM which has aso been bailed out by the government. ZF's brilliant 8 and 9 speed transmissions used in dodge was beaten to death on the dodge forums for being unreliable because that company could not properly tune a transmission for the life of them. BMW in comparison had zero transmission failure reportings in this time period.

The features might be great for a 2-4 year lease, but not all buyers do this.

That doesn't change the fact that you're driving one of the most poorly designed vehicles on the road right down there with GM which has aso been bailed out by the government. ZF's brilliant 8 and 9 speed transmissions used in dodge was beaten to death on the dodge forums for being unreliable because that company could not properly tune a transmission for the life of them. BMW in comparison had zero transmission failure reportings in this time period.

The features might be great for a 2-4 year lease, but not all buyers do this.

Well yeah, but how many people buy new and keep it for over 5 years or 100k miles (jeep driveline warranty)? Myocal dealer even offers lifetime driveline on jeeps.

Anyway, I have been looking at and driving about every vehicle in the “compact SUV” class over the past few weeks and found almost nothing that met my requirements. For example:

[*]Hyundai Tucson: best-feeling car I drove and is very close to the CX-5 in size, being at the smaller end of the class. With a $4400 rebate (!) and other discounts I could get it fully loaded out the door (6% sales tax here) for $31K, but no heated wheel or adaptive cruise. I liked the 1.6 turbo with the 7-speed dual-clutch tranny. Again, a panoramic roof.

be thankful you did not go with the Tucson 1.6T with Dual Clutch Transmission, tons of issues, overheating, intermittent acceleration from red lights, just a total nightmare, my co-worker has one and says it's the worst car he has ever owned.....

check the youtube videos, there's going to be a class action lawsuit soon...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tucson+dct+problem

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/2016-tucson-ix35-models/454074-dangerous-horrible-dct.html

the DCT cannot handle stop and go traffic, it overheats and shuts down, if brakes are released when this happens the car rolls backwards, and pressing the accelerator will do nothing

video below shows an owner who had the recall software re-programming done and still not fixed....

Last edited:
Back