Drove 'em all, going with CX-5

We currently own a 2011 Outback and a 2015 Mazda 3 GT hatch, both of which we really like, but we'd like to replace the Subaru with something a bit smaller and with the newer tech as in the 3. We also had a 2008 Mazda 3 GT hatch that we gave to our son and which is still going strong and trouble-free. For the record, I'm 70yo with just my wife and myself in the household, so not concerned with passenger amenities, etc.

Two of my major requirements for a new car are a heated steering wheel and Android Auto support. My wife also added that she wanted one with a nice interior on par with the Outback (we find the two-tone interior on our Mazda 3 to be in that category!). I really liked the looks of the CX-5, but since it doesn't yet have Android Auto and I'm not going to get one until I see it arrive from the factory with AA installed and working -- I initially rejected it. And because it's based on the current 3, I also didn't want to have two vehicles that were basically the same inside (this is without actually looking at one just an assumption).

Anyway, I have been looking at and driving about every vehicle in the compact SUV class over the past few weeks and found almost nothing that met my requirements. For example:

• Forester: too off-road oriented and trucky feeling with a firm, choppy ride.
  • Honda CR-V: checked all the boxes, but felt too much like an appliance. Plus I still am not a fan of the styling and my wife thought the interior was somewhat cheap and plasticy feeling.
  • New VW Tiguan: is too big, too family-oriented, lousy gas mileage, and has start/stop. There's also a question in our mind of general reliability. Stickers at almost $40K with a manual passenger seat and a sun visor that can't slide back to cover all of the side window! Not a fan of panoramic sunroofs.
  • Hyundai Santa Fe Sport: feels high and big and has start/stop (ugh!). Panoramic roof.
  • Hyundai Tucson: best-feeling car I drove and is very close to the CX-5 in size, being at the smaller end of the class. With a $4400 rebate (!) and other discounts I could get it fully loaded out the door (6% sales tax here) for $31K, but no heated wheel or adaptive cruise. I liked the 1.6 turbo with the 7-speed dual-clutch tranny. Again, a panoramic roof.
  • 2018 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain: very attractive and full-featured, but they will easily sticker over $40K at the upper level and they don't have adaptive cruise. (Oddly, they have a feature that monitors the distance to the car ahead and lets you set a following distance, but all it does is give you a warning if you're getting too close.)
  • The car in this group that met all our wants and needs (except for downsizing) and especially the feeling of quality would be a 2018 Outback! I wasn't planning on getting the same car twice in a row which I've always been adverse to but we started thinking seriously about going this route.

So a couple days ago, on my way to the Subaru dealer for another test drive, I stopped by the Mazda dealer to finally take a closer look at the CX-5. It was a winner! I don't need to tell you here about driving it, but it was the only one that just felt right for me as far as size, driving position, ride, power, and handling. It was also surprisingly quiet: surprising because our hatchback is somewhat noisy on the rough roads we have around here.

It definitely seems like it will fit our needs just perfectly, especially for downsizing from the Outback. And the salesman told me that the last hurdle has been cleared and he expects Android Auto to show up, possibly by the end of the month. Moreover, he confirmed that our Mazda 3 will be updateable with the new firmware. I'll have to see it before I buy it, but since our purchase timeframe is actually early next year, I'm sure it will be resolved one way or the other.

And that's my story to this point: coming full circle back to Mazda!

Here's my suggestion:
= Load Android Auto on your phone (it's in the app store).
= Get a good phone mount, if you don't already have one, https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) from Amazon.
= Call the Mazda dealer and see if they'll let you keep a CX5 overnight for eval, preferably in the trim you want.
= Use the AA app with your car and see if you still feel like having AA integrated into the car's OS is a requirement.

When you use the phone AA app, after linking the phone up via bluetooth, it starts automatically when you get in the car and presents a stripped down interface with big buttons that's easy to use while you're driving. Since car displays are not that much bigger than your phone's, and since your phone will likely be mounted closer than your car screen, you may find there's not much difference in the user experience.

This should be posted in the Android Auto thread. Interesting to see if the salesman is blowing smoke.

Very well possible but I have noted 3-4 other members here who have recently purchased CX5s, and their salesman's have mentioned about AA being released this fall. All different people and dealers. Could be just a coincidence but lets just hope they're actually right.

FWIW, our salesman for the 3 we bought a few weeks back mentioned they've been told AA/ACP 'likely this fall' from Mazda.

And that was unprompted from my wife or I (we weren't asking about it or lamenting it's absence etc). We'd already bought the car and he was going through features and use of the infotainment etc before we drove it home. So it wasn't part of a sales pitch.

You know, a question I have is why some people are so anti- the stop/go systems such as Mazda's iStop??

It has been mentioned here again by the OP, and some poeple with CX5's at the company I used to work for expressed similar negative feelings.

It doesnt seem to be an age thing, some of these people were early 30's, and I am late 50's. When I pressed them for a reason, they got all petulant and said "I just dont like it!" LOL!!

Frankly, I just dont get what the problem is!!
I think it's the implementation. A friend has a Cruze with this and says he doesn't notice it at all. The VW, OTOH, had a very rough restart that caused the car to shudder, followed by a stumble when starting off. Also, it was a hot day and the A/C started blowing warm air. And on top of that, I'm just a bit leery about having this in a long-termed owned car from the standpoint of reliability and wear on everything.

I don't have same requirements as you, but we too are senior couple & almost bought a 2017 Buick Encore AWD Premium. -has heated steering wheel. (I have no clue what Andoid is as I don't have a "smart phone" (hubby does) IF you don't need AWD, then you should take a look at the Encore. It's adorable, drives beautifully, nice interior, comfy...but too underpowered at 138 HP for AWD in my opinion. I was really getting disappointed until I came upon Mazda by chance earlier this week. I'm all in..now waiting for hubby to test one. (but car is for me so I'm in...I just want him to like it too!) Good luck! I hear your frustration (I looked at Audi, BMW, VW, Chevy, Buick, Subaru etc none met my wants/needs. It's been several years of looking but patience may have finally paid off!) ;)

Well you've made a good choice.

I will say that anything made by GM (Chevy, Buick etc) or any American car for that matter Has an inferior design compared to its german and Japanese "rivals". Dodge and GM have both had separate and very expensive corporate bailouts and wouldn't even be around right now if it wasn't for the US government.

I think it's the implementation. A friend has a Cruze with this and says he doesn't notice it at all. The VW, OTOH, had a very rough restart that caused the car to shudder, followed by a stumble when starting off. Also, it was a hot day and the A/C started blowing warm air. And on top of that, I'm just a bit leery about having this in a long-termed owned car from the standpoint of reliability and wear on everything.

On one hand idling is not good for your engine so it's best to avoid that when possible, but the stop start tech will obviously wear out your starter faster and it's not good to always be restarting your engine because oil pressure needs to build while starting up.

I feel like it's just too much going on and that s*** annoys me. I just don't idle excessively and don't see why I need it.

That feature is to satisfy the government with fuel savings more then it is for customers. Even thou no one can explain why they dislike the tech, i understand why regardless. It's simply a nuisance.

I don't think i-stop is even offered here in the US. Mazda didn't want to offer it because the EPA didn't take i-stop into account with regards to fuel economy ratings.

Not offered there. The least they could have done was to put i-Eloop which also helps improve fuel consumption.

Having both i-Eloop and i-Stop is the best combination though

I used to travel to the UK a lot and somewhere around 2013 this technology started popping up in nearly every car I rented. It used to annoy the hell out of me at roundabouts where you're frequently making momentary stops and the engine would sometimes stop and sometimes not, and sometimes stop a split second before I needed to accelerate, resulting in a pause and then a lurch forward, sometimes making me miss my turn to go, or miss a window of opportunity to merge. It also annoyed me a lot in stop and go traffic. At traffic lights, it's fine. But in situations where you're making a lot of momentary stops, I hated it. What made it worse for me is that every car triggered it a little differently, and I felt like I was wasting mental energy trying to learn how to 'trick' the car into not shutting off at inopportune times when I could have just been paying attention to the road. After going through this with 3 or 4 different rental cars, I gave up and just always kept it off. I've avoided it like the plague since then.

I have no such is issue at roundabouts. I've learned to adjust the pressure of my foot on the brake.

Yes, don't believe in AA until it is on the vehicle and you can test it....
That's what I said in my OP. In fact, it will probably be a 2018 model due to various other factors. Mazda might just hold off introducing it until the actual model year changeover as a "new feature". Besides, it takes a while to make a change like this in a factory with the various lead times, so why introduce it at the end of a model year. And even if it can be offered retroactively to existing Infotainment owners, it will probably be a small percentage who care enough about it.

That's what I said in my OP. In fact, it will probably be a 2018 model due to various other factors. Mazda might just hold off introducing it until the actual model year changeover as a "new feature". Besides, it takes a while to make a change like this in a factory with the various lead times, so why introduce it at the end of a model year. And even if it can be offered retroactively to existing Infotainment owners, it will probably be a small percentage who care enough about it.
I just searched the 2018 Mazda 3 spec sheet, and AA/Apple is not on there yet..

With only 1 anecdotal data point that is yours.
The 2.0L manual -- 43 mpg is what folks were doing, 34 was EPA. 2.0L Automatic - easily hitting its EPA.
2.5 L Auto - hitting it combined and missing its highway EPA by 1 or 2 mpg in FWD, missing its highway EPA by 1 mpg for AWD.

In all fairness - I think EPA was hard on the 17s, so far its fuel mileage that i see is neck in neck with 16s. If you do go with a CRV in future - lets just say for spirited driving that tiny turbo will probably give you 20-21 with the annoyance of CVT and Turbo lag.

Alrighty, then...

On one hand idling is not good for your engine so it's best to avoid that when possible, but the stop start tech will obviously wear out your starter faster

Again, Mazda DOES NOT USE THE STARTER MOTOR to restart the engine with iStop. So that argument doesnt wash.

No doubt there are different implementations of stop/go from different manufacturers....

All I can say from personal experience is that Mazda's iStop is very reliable, quick, and easy to learn how to make it do what you want.

Regarding batteries, if I can get a replacement for my diesel CX5 in the form of a top quality European AGM battery here in Aus for less than A$200, i would be amazed if you couldnt get one in the US for less.

Again, Mazda DOES NOT USE THE STARTER MOTOR to restart the engine with iStop. So that argument doesnt wash.

No doubt there are different implementations of stop/go from different manufacturers....

All I can say from personal experience is that Mazda's iStop is very reliable, quick, and easy to learn how to make it do what you want.

Regarding batteries, if I can get a replacement for my diesel CX5 in the form of a top quality European AGM battery here in Aus for less than A$200, i would be amazed if you couldnt get one in the US for less.

Oil pressure still goes from 0-40,0-40,0-40, etc. or whatever it idles at...I am not a fan for that reason, either. I like a constantly flow of oil over the bearings both to maintain film strength/thickness, as well as prevent hot-spots. Same for the coolant flow stopping/starting.

Oil pressure still goes from 0-40,0-40,0-40, etc. or whatever it idles at...I am not a fan for that reason, either. I like a constantly flow of oil over the bearings both to maintain film strength/thickness, as well as prevent hot-spots. Same for the coolant flow stopping/starting.

If this was such an issue, i-Stop would have already been removed. But since it's been going for atleast 4-5 years, if there was a mass problem on engines etc, more than likely would have been known by now

Provided you get the vehicle serviced within the manufacturer scheduled intervals, in theory there shouldn't be any issues

Alrighty, then...

So it outdid in 8 categories and underwhelmed in 2. I will take that over some serious under performers. Everyone knows EPA itself tests very few cars and most of the others are tested by that manufacturer - simple research will make it clear how many good mpg turds are there. Said it again and will say it here - for 10 years the prev. gen CRV underperformed by 15% despite having a 60 yr old avg. owner demographic.
So unless you custom ordered your CX5 to give you 24 mpg @ 90 mph - you have no argument.

If this was such an issue, i-Stop would have already been removed. But since it's been going for atleast 4-5 years, if there was a mass problem on engines etc, more than likely would have been known by now

This is also my logic for not ever changing my transmission fluid.

Uno clearly has never had a car with an oil pressure gauge as he has no idea how oil pressure works.

It works fine, it's the flow of oil over the bearings that the cams and cranks and whatnot float on. How thick the oil is has less to do with it.

Not for aggressive driving. The coating is not thick enough to protect your drivetrain from high stress, especially not that Mobil 1 garbage people use.

My engine felt far smoother and more refined with 5w30 liqui moly. Oil consumption has dropped from 1L every 9000km to every 15,000km. Engine sounds exactly the same on cold starts if not better.

Last edited:
Back