Drove 'em all, going with CX-5

It really just depends where you live. Constant stop and go traffic, you will see savings. In the middle of nowhere like yourself Uno, kinda worthless. But it allows manufactures to help curve their EPA ratings and efficiency so they're going all in on it.

It really just depends where you live. Constant stop and go traffic, you will see savings. In the middle of nowhere like yourself Uno, kinda worthless. But it allows manufactures to help curve their EPA ratings and efficiency so they're going all in on it.
Any way to get better efficiency as rules tighten

Yep, and screwing you in the end "for your own good". I just read a thread on here where to replace the battery is now a $350 problem at the dealer, and $250 from other shops.
You know what MY CX5 battery costs? Hunna Dolla!

Wonder what the starters cost, comparably, and all the other crap.

Yep, and screwing you in the end "for your own good". I just read a thread on here where to replace the battery is now a $350 problem at the dealer, and $250 from other shops.

i-Stop doesn't use the starter motor on the petrol engine

That's how I deal with my regret of not getting the Iactive sense package on my CX5. Cool tech, but damn will that be costy if anything goes wrong once I am past 3 years/36k miles.

Give the link xeler8ing posted a click and learn a little more on the MAZDA I-Stop system... It does not use the starter motor...rather it knows what number cylinder is in compression and ready to fire, and then sends the spark and fires that piston to get the motor going again. No starter is used... This method is 50% faster than the starter motor method idle stop systems other vehicles use.

Last edited:
Give the link xler8ing posted a click and learn a little more on the MAZDA I-Stop system... It does not use the starter motor...rather it knows what number cylinder is in compression and ready to fire, and then sends the spark and fires that piston to get the motor going again. No starter is used...

I googled it already, yes, it seems like it's superior by far to other systems, and props to Mazda for that, but I still do not relish 300% increases in battery change costs.

I googled it already, yes, it seems like it's superior by far to other systems, and props to Mazda for that, but I still do not relish 300% increases in battery change costs.
I doubt it would be $400 dollars in the US if we had to get one. Prob more like $250 figure so only 150% increase...

I doubt it would be $400 dollars in the US if we had to get one. Prob more like $250 figure so only 150% increase...

Figure it would save $150 in gasoline every 4-6 years?

Even at 3 dollars a gallon (it's $2.05 last I checked), that's 50 gallons of fuel. Or roughly a 12-1500mile road trip depending on traffic.

Not smart money, IMO

I don't think i-stop is even offered here in the US. Mazda didn't want to offer it because the EPA didn't take i-stop into account with regards to fuel economy ratings.

I don't think i-stop is even offered here in the US. Mazda didn't want to offer it because the EPA didn't take i-stop into account with regards to fuel economy ratings.

Which proves that all this EPA rating and the way they tune the cars is just a load of horse crap. They game it HARD. Companies have learned how to do this, and it's why my other vehicles allowed me to surpass EPA highway mile per gallon doing 75-80, while the CX5 flounders, even doing 70. It's like a brother holding his finger 1mm from his sister saying "I'm not touching you!" in the back seat of the car vs. sitting there like he should with his hands in his lap. Both claim to be the same...they aren't.

Figure it would save $150 in gasoline every 4-6 years?

Even at 3 dollars a gallon (it's $2.05 last I checked), that's 50 gallons of fuel. Or roughly a 12-1500mile road trip depending on traffic.

Not smart money, IMO

Using your figures no it would not be smart money but for the person in the city where they're paying $3 to $3.50 a gallon and in bumper-to-bumper traffic it would be a good solution for them.

Using your figures no it would not be smart money but for the person in the city where they're paying $3 to $3.50 a gallon and in bumper-to-bumper traffic it would be a good solution for them.

Honestly would it? My former roomate lives in San Antonio. Beats the balls off his WRX every day. Still gets better than EPA combined MPG by a good bit. 1, CX5 EPA rationgs are gamed hard. 2, I dunno if it would save even a city-dweller that much. WRX seems to exceed EPA ratings in nasty traffic even with frequent trips to redline. It has no istop.

I used to travel to the UK a lot and somewhere around 2013 this technology started popping up in nearly every car I rented. It used to annoy the hell out of me at roundabouts where you're frequently making momentary stops and the engine would sometimes stop and sometimes not, and sometimes stop a split second before I needed to accelerate, resulting in a pause and then a lurch forward, sometimes making me miss my turn to go, or miss a window of opportunity to merge. It also annoyed me a lot in stop and go traffic. At traffic lights, it's fine. But in situations where you're making a lot of momentary stops, I hated it. What made it worse for me is that every car triggered it a little differently, and I felt like I was wasting mental energy trying to learn how to 'trick' the car into not shutting off at inopportune times when I could have just been paying attention to the road. After going through this with 3 or 4 different rental cars, I gave up and just always kept it off. I've avoided it like the plague since then.

CX5 EPA rationgs are gamed hard.

With only 1 anecdotal data point that is yours.
The 2.0L manual -- 43 mpg is what folks were doing, 34 was EPA. 2.0L Automatic - easily hitting its EPA.
2.5 L Auto - hitting it combined and missing its highway EPA by 1 or 2 mpg in FWD, missing its highway EPA by 1 mpg for AWD.

In all fairness - I think EPA was hard on the 17s, so far its fuel mileage that i see is neck in neck with 16s. If you do go with a CRV in future - lets just say for spirited driving that tiny turbo will probably give you 20-21 with the annoyance of CVT and Turbo lag.

I used to travel to the UK a lot and somewhere around 2013 this technology started popping up in nearly every car I rented. It used to annoy the hell out of me at roundabouts where you're frequently making momentary stops and the engine would sometimes stop and sometimes not, and sometimes stop a split second before I needed to accelerate, resulting in a pause and then a lurch forward, sometimes making me miss my turn to go, or miss a window of opportunity to merge. It also annoyed me a lot in stop and go traffic. At traffic lights, it's fine. But in situations where you're making a lot of momentary stops, I hated it. What made it worse for me is that every car triggered it a little differently, and I felt like I was wasting mental energy trying to learn how to 'trick' the car into not shutting off at inopportune times when I could have just been paying attention to the road. After going through this with 3 or 4 different rental cars, I gave up and just always kept it off. I've avoided it like the plague since then.

having also driven a rental with I-stop (manual transmission mercedes c220 diesel), I agree.
The unpredictability of it is very annoying. You can't predict when it'll shut off and when it will not.

Also, if you're using AC or heat, the would turn on after about a minute anyway so the fuel savings can't really be all that great.

I-stop thing is more about gaming the European fuel economy tests than actually saving any significant amount of fuel.

I would test drive the mazda 6 and give that a shot, it's more peppy and has better efficiency/handling over the cx-5.

I don't have same requirements as you, but we too are senior couple & almost bought a 2017 Buick Encore AWD Premium. -has heated steering wheel. (I have no clue what Andoid is as I don't have a "smart phone" (hubby does) IF you don't need AWD, then you should take a look at the Encore. It's adorable, drives beautifully, nice interior, comfy...but too underpowered at 138 HP for AWD in my opinion. I was really getting disappointed until I came upon Mazda by chance earlier this week. I'm all in..now waiting for hubby to test one. (but car is for me so I'm in...I just want him to like it too!) Good luck! I hear your frustration (I looked at Audi, BMW, VW, Chevy, Buick, Subaru etc none met my wants/needs. It's been several years of looking but patience may have finally paid off!) ;)

Very well possible but I have noted 3-4 other members here who have recently purchased CX5s, and their salesman's have mentioned about AA being released this fall. All different people and dealers. Could be just a coincidence but lets just hope they're actually right.
Yeah, my salesman told me the CX-5 has knee bag coverage (it doesn't) so don't believe them about the AA (whatever that is - I'm going to research it) I have an older cell phone so I don't need bluetooth or whatever the AA does. I'm retired so just need my old cell for emergency purposes...or if I get lost & can't figure out the Nav! lol

Yeah, my salesman told me the CX-5 has knee bag coverage (it doesn't) so don't believe them about the AA (whatever that is - I'm going to research it) I have an older cell phone so I don't need bluetooth or whatever the AA does. I'm retired so just need my old cell for emergency purposes...or if I get lost & can't figure out the Nav! lol

Wait, what is knee bag coverage? And do you have a flip phone? GPS? Or is it just an older smart phone. I bet your phone still has bluetooth though. I know its a law here in Maryland that you can't talk on the phone and drive.

Back