Drove 'em all, going with CX-5

We currently own a 2011 Outback and a 2015 Mazda 3 GT hatch, both of which we really like, but we'd like to replace the Subaru with something a bit smaller and with the newer tech as in the 3. We also had a 2008 Mazda 3 GT hatch that we gave to our son and which is still going strong and trouble-free. For the record, I'm 70yo with just my wife and myself in the household, so not concerned with passenger amenities, etc.

Two of my major requirements for a new car are a heated steering wheel and Android Auto support. My wife also added that she wanted one with a nice interior on par with the Outback (we find the two-tone interior on our Mazda 3 to be in that category!). I really liked the looks of the CX-5, but since it doesn't yet have Android Auto and I'm not going to get one until I see it arrive from the factory with AA installed and working -- I initially rejected it. And because it's based on the current 3, I also didn't want to have two vehicles that were basically the same inside (this is without actually looking at one just an assumption).

Anyway, I have been looking at and driving about every vehicle in the compact SUV class over the past few weeks and found almost nothing that met my requirements. For example:

• Forester: too off-road oriented and trucky feeling with a firm, choppy ride.
  • Honda CR-V: checked all the boxes, but felt too much like an appliance. Plus I still am not a fan of the styling and my wife thought the interior was somewhat cheap and plasticy feeling.
  • New VW Tiguan: is too big, too family-oriented, lousy gas mileage, and has start/stop. There's also a question in our mind of general reliability. Stickers at almost $40K with a manual passenger seat and a sun visor that can't slide back to cover all of the side window! Not a fan of panoramic sunroofs.
  • Hyundai Santa Fe Sport: feels high and big and has start/stop (ugh!). Panoramic roof.
  • Hyundai Tucson: best-feeling car I drove and is very close to the CX-5 in size, being at the smaller end of the class. With a $4400 rebate (!) and other discounts I could get it fully loaded out the door (6% sales tax here) for $31K, but no heated wheel or adaptive cruise. I liked the 1.6 turbo with the 7-speed dual-clutch tranny. Again, a panoramic roof.
  • 2018 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain: very attractive and full-featured, but they will easily sticker over $40K at the upper level and they don't have adaptive cruise. (Oddly, they have a feature that monitors the distance to the car ahead and lets you set a following distance, but all it does is give you a warning if you're getting too close.)
  • The car in this group that met all our wants and needs (except for downsizing) and especially the feeling of quality would be a 2018 Outback! I wasn't planning on getting the same car twice in a row which I've always been adverse to but we started thinking seriously about going this route.

So a couple days ago, on my way to the Subaru dealer for another test drive, I stopped by the Mazda dealer to finally take a closer look at the CX-5. It was a winner! I don't need to tell you here about driving it, but it was the only one that just felt right for me as far as size, driving position, ride, power, and handling. It was also surprisingly quiet: surprising because our hatchback is somewhat noisy on the rough roads we have around here.

It definitely seems like it will fit our needs just perfectly, especially for downsizing from the Outback. And the salesman told me that the last hurdle has been cleared and he expects Android Auto to show up, possibly by the end of the month. Moreover, he confirmed that our Mazda 3 will be updateable with the new firmware. I'll have to see it before I buy it, but since our purchase timeframe is actually early next year, I'm sure it will be resolved one way or the other.

And that's my story to this point: coming full circle back to Mazda!

I am also shopping around for a '17 CX5.
There are a Mazda3 and a Mazda6 in my house already..... 3rd Mazda.
MSRP: $33766 -> $29365 (inc. $500 loyalty)

We currently own a 2011 Outback and a 2015 Mazda 3 GT hatch, both of which we really like, but we'd like to replace the Subaru with something a bit smaller and with the newer tech as in the 3. We also had a 2008 Mazda 3 GT hatch that we gave to our son and which is still going strong and trouble-free. For the record, I'm 70yo with just my wife and myself in the household, so not concerned with passenger amenities, etc.

Two of my major requirements for a new car are a heated steering wheel and Android Auto support. My wife also added that she wanted one with a nice interior on par with the Outback (we find the two-tone interior on our Mazda 3 to be in that category!). I really liked the looks of the CX-5, but since it doesn't yet have Android Auto and I'm not going to get one until I see it arrive from the factory with AA installed and working -- I initially rejected it. And because it's based on the current 3, I also didn't want to have two vehicles that were basically the same inside (this is without actually looking at one just an assumption).

Anyway, I have been looking at and driving about every vehicle in the compact SUV class over the past few weeks and found almost nothing that met my requirements. For example:

• Forester: too off-road oriented and trucky feeling with a firm, choppy ride.
  • Honda CR-V: checked all the boxes, but felt too much like an appliance. Plus I still am not a fan of the styling and my wife thought the interior was somewhat cheap and plasticy feeling.
  • New VW Tiguan: is too big, too family-oriented, lousy gas mileage, and has start/stop. There's also a question in our mind of general reliability. Stickers at almost $40K with a manual passenger seat and a sun visor that can't slide back to cover all of the side window! Not a fan of panoramic sunroofs.
  • Hyundai Santa Fe Sport: feels high and big and has start/stop (ugh!). Panoramic roof.
  • Hyundai Tucson: best-feeling car I drove and is very close to the CX-5 in size, being at the smaller end of the class. With a $4400 rebate (!) and other discounts I could get it fully loaded out the door (6% sales tax here) for $31K, but no heated wheel or adaptive cruise. I liked the 1.6 turbo with the 7-speed dual-clutch tranny. Again, a panoramic roof.
  • 2018 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain: very attractive and full-featured, but they will easily sticker over $40K at the upper level and they don't have adaptive cruise. (Oddly, they have a feature that monitors the distance to the car ahead and lets you set a following distance, but all it does is give you a warning if you're getting too close.)
  • The car in this group that met all our wants and needs (except for downsizing) and especially the feeling of quality would be a 2018 Outback! I wasn't planning on getting the same car twice in a row which I've always been adverse to but we started thinking seriously about going this route.

So a couple days ago, on my way to the Subaru dealer for another test drive, I stopped by the Mazda dealer to finally take a closer look at the CX-5. It was a winner! I don't need to tell you here about driving it, but it was the only one that just felt right for me as far as size, driving position, ride, power, and handling. It was also surprisingly quiet: surprising because our hatchback is somewhat noisy on the rough roads we have around here.

It definitely seems like it will fit our needs just perfectly, especially for downsizing from the Outback. And the salesman told me that the last hurdle has been cleared and he expects Android Auto to show up, possibly by the end of the month. Moreover, he confirmed that our Mazda 3 will be updateable with the new firmware. I'll have to see it before I buy it, but since our purchase timeframe is actually early next year, I'm sure it will be resolved one way or the other.

And that's my story to this point: coming full circle back to Mazda!
The CX-5 is still the bang for the buck pick in its segment. I'm not surprised that you think it is the best out of all that you tested.

Mazda put a lot of effort in reducing NVH for the 2017 model. It is really one of the highlights of the 2017 model.

This should be posted in the Android Auto thread. Interesting to see if the salesman is blowing smoke.

Android auto will be here by end of month since last 3 years. Maybe salesman is from Saturn where a month lasts 1200 days.

Tucson was on my list but they had a huge problem with DCT and had to buy back some. DCT heated in stop n go traffic and shut the car down. Base engine was awful with average mpg.

Yes, don't believe in AA until it is on the vehicle and you can test it....

Good write-up on the comparisons with all the others in its class. As with journo comparisons, the CX-5 more often than not comes out on top. It's not so much that it is a lot better than the others in any one area but more so it is proficient in all areas. Kind of a jack of all trades. When choosing the vehicle of choice, AA would be at the bottom of my list of criteria compared to how well it drives etc. Just like a lack of a CD player, you get around it. As with your assessment of the other vehicles in it's class, they also lack some things where others might have. Good luck with the new CX-5!

This should be posted in the Android Auto thread. Interesting to see if the salesman is blowing smoke.

Very well possible but I have noted 3-4 other members here who have recently purchased CX5s, and their salesman's have mentioned about AA being released this fall. All different people and dealers. Could be just a coincidence but lets just hope they're actually right.

And the salesman told me that the last hurdle has been cleared and he expects Android Auto to show up, possibly “by the end of the month.” Moreover, he confirmed that our Mazda 3 will be updateable with the new firmware. I'll have to see it before I buy it, but since our purchase timeframe is actually early next year, I'm sure it will be resolved one way or the other.

Should have got this in writing

Funny how all of these Mazda salesman scumbags are lying to their customers about CarPlay/AA just to get their commission. Enjoy your new vehicle:)

Should have got this in writing

What for? I mean that honestly. You can't get blood from a turnip. I bet the OP will love his car and not try to force a buy-back over lack of AA. It's not like Mazda is going to ever get AA into this model/revision of the car, so....? Maybe leverage it for a service discount?

What for? I mean that honestly. You can't get blood from a turnip. I bet the OP will love his car and not try to force a buy-back over lack of AA. It's not like Mazda is going to ever get AA into this model/revision of the car, so....? Maybe leverage it for a service discount?

Was just a thought.

Anytime a car salesman promises something or offers something, I'd prefer to have it in writing rather than it be verbal. Personally I don't believe what they say unless I get it in writing.

Each to their own of course.

Was just a thought.

Anytime a car salesman promises something or offers something, I'd prefer to have it in writing rather than it be verbal. Personally I don't believe what they say unless I get it in writing.

Oh, I understand, but obviously the sales rep was lying. I get a "we owe" for things like "yes, we will swap the tires free of charge to "XXX tire". That , I have a "we-owe" written for. Or "We will install NAV before delivery", etc. Not pie in the sky bulls*** like "Sure, I know all about what Mazda corporate is doing, and AA will be in your car by the end of the month." Obviously it's a lie, and you shouldn't buy the car if it matters that much, and if it doesn't, well, good luck getting the Tower to write THAT "We owe".

Oh, I understand, but obviously the sales rep was lying. I get a "we owe" for things like "yes, we will swap the tires free of charge to "XXX tire". That , I have a "we-owe" written for. Or "We will install NAV before delivery", etc. Not pie in the sky bulls*** like "Sure, I know all about what Mazda corporate is doing, and AA will be in your car by the end of the month." Obviously it's a lie, and you shouldn't buy the car if it matters that much, and if it doesn't, well, good luck getting the Tower to write THAT "We owe".

(iagree)

For me AA/ACP is really not even on my radar when buying a car and I certainly don't care if and when Mazda brings it.

Was just a thought.

I agree with this. If anything, it just gives you any extra leverage you didn't have before if it falls through.

You know, a question I have is why some people are so anti- the stop/go systems such as Mazda's iStop??

It has been mentioned here again by the OP, and some poeple with CX5's at the company I used to work for expressed similar negative feelings.

It doesnt seem to be an age thing, some of these people were early 30's, and I am late 50's. When I pressed them for a reason, they got all petulant and said "I just dont like it!" LOL!!

Frankly, I just dont get what the problem is!!

I have lived with iStop for 4 years now, and I barely notice it, and it certainly does not bug me. And, it has never once failed to start when required, on either my first or my current CX5.

So what REALLY is the problem??

I had never experienced a car with such a system until my first CX5 about 4 years ago.

Within a month or so I got used to it. Especially once I figured out the "tricks" to employ so it doesnt bother you - the main one being that the system is sensitive to the amount of pressure you put on the brake pedal - light pressure and it doesnt stop, firm pressure and it will..... so if you are in stop go traffic and dont want it starting and stopping all the time, just use light brake pressure. It soon becomes automatic and you dont even think about it. Even if it does stop, so what? It starts again by itself when needed ....

I heard someone complain about the "lag" while the engine starts being an issue when waiting to get across an intersection.... this is IMO complete bunkum! Same solution: light brake pressure and it wont stop, or, ease the brake pressure as you see a gap in the traffic coming up, and the engine instantly starts and youre ready to go. Even a tiny turn on the steering wheel and the engine restarts.

Wear and tear on the starter motor? Nope, the system doesnt work that way.

Is it just an inabiliy to get heads around modern technology - or is it simply resistance against something new and different??

I dont get it.....

Last edited:
I've been driving with i-Stop on my 6 for over 2 years now and fine with it.

Looking forward to using i-Stop with auto hold on the new CX-5, so at traffic lights or in traffic I can rest my leg and save fuel at the same time :)

I drove my wifes grandmothers Mercedes that had stop and go. Yeah, that stuff is weird. But I am sure its something I could easily get used to. Still not even sure how that technology works, but it seems crazy! Off to youtube I go.

You know, a question I have is why some people are so anti- the stop/go systems such as Mazda's iStop??

It has been mentioned here again by the OP, and some poeple with CX5's at the company I used to work for expressed similar negative feelings.

It doesnt seem to be an age thing, some of these people were early 30's, and I am late 50's. When I pressed them for a reason, they got all petulant and said "I just dont like it!" LOL!!

Frankly, I just dont get what the problem is!!

I have lived with iStop for 4 years now, and I barely notice it, and it certainly does not bug me. And, it has never once failed to start when required, on either my first or my current CX5.

So what REALLY is the problem??

I had never experienced a car with such a system until my first CX5 about 4 years ago.

Within a month or so I got used to it. Especially once I figured out the "tricks" to employ so it doesnt bother you - the main one being that the system is sensitive to the amount of pressure you put on the brake pedal - light pressure and it doesnt stop, firm pressure and it will..... so if you are in stop go traffic and dont want it starting and stopping all the time, just use light brake pressure. It soon becomes automatic and you dont even think about it. Even if it does stop, so what? It starts again by itself when needed ....

I heard someone complain about the "lag" while the engine starts being an issue when waiting to get across an intersection.... this is IMO complete bunkum! Same solution: light brake pressure and it wont stop, or, ease the brake pressure as you see a gap in the traffic coming up, and the engine instantly starts and youre ready to go. Even a tiny turn on the steering wheel and the engine restarts.

Wear and tear on the starter motor? Nope, the system doesnt work that way.

Is it just an inabiliy to get heads around modern technology - or is it simply resistance against something new and different??

I dont get it.....

It's one more thing to go wrong. It does absolutely zip for me. I view it as added complexity with zero added value.

Back